Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Is this Matt Smith's last year as the Doctor?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 24 2013, 11:59pm

Post #1 of 17 (236 views)
Shortcut
Is this Matt Smith's last year as the Doctor? Can't Post

I will not be happy if this is true.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 12:06am

Post #2 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
The speculation after the article was interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

A woman doctor? A black doctor? That would shake things up. If it were a woman, would she be taking on male companions who pine away after her?

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 3:49am

Post #3 of 17 (180 views)
Shortcut
As much as I love Matt Smith as the Dr.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't feel as devastated by the thought as I did when Tennant announced he was leaving. And if Matt feels he has a career in Hollywood waiting for him, his heart may not be in Dr. Who the way it should be.

As for the actors discussed as potential replacements: Wasn't Benedict Cumberbatch supposed to play the Master? He'd be good as either, but as busy as he's been,I don't think he'd stick around very long. I think a black Dr. would be great, but not David Harewood. He played a bad guy in Tennant's last episode; I'd always think of him as that guy. As for a woman, I'd rather have Romana come back than have the Dr. turn into a woman. If they did decide to go with a woman, I'd prefer someone less well known than Helen Mirrren, great as she is. The others they listed...meh.

It would be fun to see Danny Pudi play the Dr. He already has experience playing a character who likes pretending to be Inspector Spacetime, a spoof of Dr. Who on the show Community. Laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvm0j0eN0Y

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Mar 25 2013, 3:51am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 25 2013, 7:58am

Post #4 of 17 (169 views)
Shortcut
Because it is the Sun ... I'm saying no. No it isn't true. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I could well be wrong (have they ever been right about anything?) Any news relating to Doctor Who at the moment is deliberately being put out there so everyone knows it is the 50th Anniversary.

If he is leaving, then I wish he had left with Amy and Rory. Moffat seems to like to drag storylines out.

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 12:57pm

Post #5 of 17 (132 views)
Shortcut
The Sun said he was quitting two years ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

And maintained it was true even after Smith denied it. I'm not a fan of his (zany, annoying) version of the doctor and I haven't wantched it in two years (Stephen Moffat seemed more concerned with being 'clever' than teeling a good story, and River Song don't get me started...) so I'll be glad to see him go.

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 2:37pm

Post #6 of 17 (131 views)
Shortcut
I was under the impression that this was going to happen, [In reply to] Can't Post

Matt's had a solid run, and bowing out after the 50th Anniversary seems like a logical opportunity to get the next Doctor on the move. I'm just hoping to see the return of the Master sometime soon. Cool

Stigmata Script, a bastion for aspiring writers - http://stigmatascript.com/

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 9:53pm

Post #7 of 17 (134 views)
Shortcut
Different directions for that show [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not alone. I really tried to accept the new Doctor, but kept feeling that the stories weren't nearly as good as those from Russell Davies. David Tennant could be zany too, but funny thing was, he seemed more polished as an actor so I believed that was who he was. I'd watch Matt Smith and think, "Oh, he's just pretending to be zany now. It will be over in a minute."

They introduced River Song with such hype in Silence in the Library, but then went off in an odd direction with her, at least to me.

Not that it was all bad. There were plenty of good moments post-David T, such as when the Doctor said he couldn't shoot someone in a dire situation, and River said she had no problem at all and blasted away. She gave good balance. Sarah Jane Smith gave great balance to Tom Baker way back when, and David T's companions did most of the time. But I rewatch the David T episodes, whereas once is enough for Matt Smith's, if I'm even able to get through the whole thing without fast forwarding.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 25 2013, 11:35pm

Post #8 of 17 (117 views)
Shortcut
Aww - see, I love Matt Smith's Doctor. [In reply to] Can't Post

I find his 900-year-old alien nerdiness delightful. Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 26 2013, 1:26am

Post #9 of 17 (106 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I shouldn't bash him. And I'm glad the series goes on with any doctor.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 26 2013, 3:01am

Post #10 of 17 (112 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know if anyone could top Tom Baker for my affections... [In reply to] Can't Post

but Matt Smith has. I love him. I was pretty fond of Christopher Eccleston. For some reason, David Tennant just didn't do it for me. I didn't hate him. But there was no connection for me.

I'm also contrary on the writers, too. I seem to like Moffat's writing better than Davies. But I watch the show, I enjoy what I can and try not to mind that I can't keep track of the complicated plot lines, and then forget what happened in the season I just watched pretty much as soon as I finish watching it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 26 2013, 3:23pm

Post #11 of 17 (101 views)
Shortcut
Tennant [In reply to] Can't Post

to me is the only actor who convinced me that the Doctor is an alien.

Baker was my fav back in the day too, and I adored Eccleston and grieved that he only did one season. I resisted Tennant for a long time, but finally warmed to him.

I like Smith okay, but it's made more difficult by the fact that I haven't liked the writing as much during his tenure. They've yet to create an episode with him that approaches the brilliance of "The Doctor Dances," "The Girl in the Fireplace," or "Blink."

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Spaldron
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 4:26pm

Post #12 of 17 (90 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see Smith continue. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's probably my favourite of the recent three. Tennant was brilliant in his day but looking back on the RTD storylines, some of the material he had to work with was ridiculous. Also the episodes looked so cheap compared to the current reign. I think since Moffat took over the stories have become smarter, darker and more interesting which I think the show needed and the look of the episodes has become more cinematic and less cartoonish.

And I just think Smith nails it. He gets everything about the character and I don't think he's trying to be quirky or zany, that comes pretty naturally to him. Most of the time he's actually pretty dark, even when compared to Tennant.

I don't think he'll quit but if he does I'm all up for seeing the long awaited big screen version with Cumberbatch in the lead. Give the show a break for a while, get a trilogy on screen then return in 8-10 years for a re-boot. Cool

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 27 2013, 1:28am

Post #13 of 17 (88 views)
Shortcut
OMG. Blink was brilliant. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was funny how much I liked that episode, and the Doctor and Martha's presence in it were minimal. It was just such a grand story.

Another over the top one was Turn Left with Donna Noble (where the Doctor was mostly absent).

Then there was Midnight (where Donna was absent--why is there any annoying trend developing here?).

Those were my favorites, along with Gridlock, that I watch again and again. I just don't watch any Matt Smith episode twice. I know it's all about personal taste, after all. I think Christopher Eccleston left too soon and could have grown into the role, but I may be wrong. It took Tennant awhile to grow into it--I didn't like him much at first, but he certainly grew on me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 27 2013, 6:35am

Post #14 of 17 (80 views)
Shortcut
I never was a big fan of Blink [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly because I absolutely loved Human Nature/Family of Blood the week before this episode.

Here's a question ... if you were introducing someone to Doctor Who (i.e. had never watched a single new series or classic episode), which episode would you get them to watch?

For me, it would be The Waters of Mars. A brilliantly made episode, and has everything a good Who episode needs. As for a classic episode, I'd chose the Hand of Fear (but The Five Doctors, The Robots of Death, An Unearthly Child and City of Death would also be good suggestions).

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 27 2013, 5:26pm

Post #15 of 17 (65 views)
Shortcut
A Doctor Who intro [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd go with all the classic episodes you list. For the new generation, I'd say either the Titanic one or Partners in Crime. I'd lean toward the latter because the Doctor has a companion 99% of the time, and the companion does a lot to shape the story and his behavior, so seeing him acting on his own isn't quite representative. That's why'd pick Titanic as 2nd choice because it seems like he and the waitress are heading toward a let's-travel-together relationship, which is the norm.

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 28 2013, 11:38am

Post #16 of 17 (55 views)
Shortcut
The average life span of a Doctor is about 3 seasons [In reply to] Can't Post

Although Tom Baker lasted 7 (I think!). I've enjoyed Matt Smith's Doctor, but if he did decide to step down, i'd be okay with it. I've been saying since Doctor #4 that no one will be as good as the last one, and for the most part i've been proven wrong. :)

But if they could figure out a way to bring David Tennant back, i'd be okay with that. Wink

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2013, 5:59am

Post #17 of 17 (116 views)
Shortcut
I (mostly) agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny thing is, two of the eps you mention were written by the current showrunner, Stephen Moffat. But, yeah, I haven't been as invested in the show with him in charge. Though, for me, the distance started with the year of the specials (DT's and RTD's last year). Somehow, I felt like I was watching someone else, not DT's Doctor, until it got to those last two specials, with the Master and Wilf in them. Then, it felt like I was watching the real deal again. But the connection I had with the show had already been broken, and I haven't reconnected in the same way since, even though I really enjoyed watching Amy and Rory grow together and stay together.

When Eccleston regenerated into Tennant, my first reaction was, "Who's this skinny kid?" But the connection didn't break; Tennant's Doctor seemed to build on the foundation Eccleston's Doctor had so poignantly laid.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.