Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Favorite HoME Book
Poll: Favorite HoME Book
The Book of Lost Tales 1
The Book of Lost Tales 2
The Lays of Beleriand
The Shaping of Middle-earth
The Lost Road and Other Writings
The Return of the Shadow
The Treason of Isengard
The War of the Ring
Sauron Defeated
Morgoth's Ring
The War of the Jewels
The Peoples of Middle-earth
The History of Middle-earth: Index
View Results (21 votes)

Mar 19 2013, 5:49pm

Post #1 of 9 (285 views)
Favorite HoME Book Can't Post

What's everyone's favorite volume of the History of Middle Earth? Mine is The Peoples of Middle Earth. I particularly enjoy the late writings on some of the more intriguing characters such as the Istari, Glorfindel, and Cirdan.

Mar 19 2013, 6:18pm

Post #2 of 9 (170 views)
Morgoth's Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

There is so much in there that doesn't end up being in The Silmarillion. I just love reading it. But that said, even though it's my "favorite" of the books, all of HoME is incredibly good and has much to offer. I just think Morgoth's Ring is slightly better.

Mar 22 2013, 12:46pm

Post #3 of 9 (145 views)
'Peoples' for me as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... followed by Morgoth's Ring and War of the Jewels. I love them mostly for the additional information on Elves (especially the House of Feanor), and the parts on the translation of Westron.

Mar 24 2013, 6:48am

Post #4 of 9 (137 views)
The Lost Road and Other Writings [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lost Road was so poignant. I love it.

The "Cottage of Lost Play" was also beautiful, so The Book of Lost Tales Part 1 comes in second.

Mar 25 2013, 12:25am

Post #5 of 9 (126 views)
Will be interesting to see if someone picks the index, lol! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 4:10am

Post #6 of 9 (81 views)
I haven't read them all, but... (possible spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed Return of the Shadow through War of the Ring. It was fascinating to read about Tolkien's writing process and to see the different directions LOTR might have taken. Frodo might have been named Bingo. Strider might have been a hobbit, possibly one that had run off long ago, named Pippen. Eowyn was at one time intended to be the main romantic interest for Aragorn...just to name a few.

Mar 25 2013, 7:56am

Post #7 of 9 (154 views)
Out of all of them, it's the one I pick up most! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Mar 26 2013, 2:26pm

Post #8 of 9 (150 views)
Peoples/Morgoth's ring for me [In reply to] Can't Post

For much the same reasons, the essays on Cirdan, Glorfindel and The Tale of Tal Elmar are fascinating. I own the whole set but I've only finished a couple of them so far, I am however almost done on the H.O.T.H.

Mar 29 2013, 12:57am

Post #9 of 9 (103 views)
Starting HoME this weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so behind, but when I was younger I read about half of Unfinished Tales and another HoME book, but I am officially starting from the beginning this weekend. I want to drown in Middle Earth history I tell you, droooown!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.