Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
erm what about the book?

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:06pm

Post #1 of 16 (1269 views)
Shortcut
erm what about the book? Can't Post

was anything in that sneak peak actually in the book, i dont think so!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

paperC
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 11:12pm

Post #2 of 16 (680 views)
Shortcut
Then you must not have read the book [In reply to] Can't Post

..or you're being just grumpy.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 11:12pm

Post #3 of 16 (651 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and smaug i guess [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood and Laketown situations did happen in the book. Im not sure about the lines....

I do wonder about all of that elf action, and Legolas doing another one of his famous stunts...

But like jackson said : DOS, some of it that is significantly different from the book, which is GOOD.

I liked Thranduil. Seemed like the most significant aspect of the book that was accurately portrayed.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 11:13pm

Post #4 of 16 (616 views)
Shortcut
Did you watch it? [In reply to] Can't Post

-Mirkwood
-Lake Town
-Bard
-Barrels
-Smaug
-Thranduil

Basically everything excluding Tauriel and the High fells.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:19pm

Post #5 of 16 (594 views)
Shortcut
There wasn't that much dialog to work with. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a lot of talking about talking in the Laketown scenes. I think there is a lot of latitude there for added dialog, as opposed to the scenes with the elves, where there is a good bit more. I particularly hope they use a lot of the dialog with Thranduil and Thorin, when Thorin keeps talking about being hungry.

As for Legolas stunts, what was he doing in that scene in front of a green screen, where he was standing on two boards that were being moved all around by stagehands?

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 11:19pm

Post #6 of 16 (641 views)
Shortcut
What, you don't remember [In reply to] Can't Post

on page 219 (in my paperback edition, which is p. 223 in my 1st edition Annotated Hobbit, or p. 225 in my 2nd ed. Annotated version), when Tauriel leaps out at the pack of Orcs that've been pursuing the Company for ages, and starts kicking some serious orc-butt? And when (pages 252, 256, and 258 respectively) Thorin first tells Bard who he is, and Bard looks at him in wonder and says, "Inconceivable!"

Sheesh. Next thing you'll be telling us Smaug looks just like Pete's Dragon.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:21pm

Post #7 of 16 (566 views)
Shortcut
leg up [In reply to] Can't Post

reagrding legolas...he was riding (alveit a greenscreen) a oliphant that happened to be wandering in mirkwood of course, either that or surfing on spider web !

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:28pm

Post #8 of 16 (517 views)
Shortcut
Ha! I thought maybe he was walking on water, as he would do. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
reagrding legolas...he was riding (alveit a greenscreen) a oliphant that happened to be wandering in mirkwood of course, either that or surfing on spider web !

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:30pm

Post #9 of 16 (574 views)
Shortcut
No, she was in the recently discovered lost appendix to the Unfinished Children of Hurin. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
on page 219 (in my paperback edition, which is p. 223 in my 1st edition Annotated Hobbit, or p. 225 in my 2nd ed. Annotated version), when Tauriel leaps out at the pack of Orcs that've been pursuing the Company for ages, and starts kicking some serious orc-butt? And when (pages 252, 256, and 258 respectively) Thorin first tells Bard who he is, and Bard looks at him in wonder and says, "Inconceivable!"

glor
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 1:16am

Post #10 of 16 (386 views)
Shortcut
As long as Legolas isn't surfing on water.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..Wink

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 7:02am

Post #11 of 16 (298 views)
Shortcut
LMAO! "Inconceivable!" [In reply to] Can't Post

You keep using that word. . .

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2013, 10:30am

Post #12 of 16 (238 views)
Shortcut
Probably because... [In reply to] Can't Post

of this...

Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 25 2013, 2:17pm

Post #13 of 16 (150 views)
Shortcut
Legolas on "boards" [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking rocking boat.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 25 2013, 3:21pm

Post #14 of 16 (138 views)
Shortcut
Changes from the book.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Mirkwood and Laketown situations did happen in the book. Im not sure about the lines....

My original guess was that Bard would become the captain of the guards who first questioned the company at the bridge into Lake-town. Even if this is the case then his introduction is being done much differently than the way that Tolkien told it.

There is certainly nothing wrong with putting names and faces to the Elves that captured the company in Mirkwood, even if one of those faces belongs to Legolas.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

PattyJB
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 7:06pm

Post #15 of 16 (85 views)
Shortcut
What about the antlers [In reply to] Can't Post

of a giant Elk?

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Mar 26 2013, 1:14am

Post #16 of 16 (71 views)
Shortcut
Master of Laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoiler for those who haven't read the book.

This scene is different in the book - no one wakes him, he's at the feast, where Thorin and Co arrive. But I must admit, cinematically these scenes looked pretty nice. Also the boat with the dwarves - well it was basically like that in the book. Well, the weather and time of the year...In video we've seen some snow. According to book there was no snow, but I like the way it looks on the screen. Durin's day, the day, when Erebor's door keyhole appeared, was "the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter". So it's absolutely fine to have some snow.

(This post was edited by Lost Hobbit on Mar 26 2013, 1:14am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.