Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tauriel's awful line
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 10:47pm

Post #1 of 52 (3290 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel's awful line Can't Post

PLEASE, PJ. I AM BEGGING YOU, PLEASE CUT OUT THE LINE WHERE TAURIEL SAYS "YOU LIKE KILLING? YOU LIKE DEATH? I SHALL GIVE IT TO YOU."
If this is in the movie, the entire thing will be ruined. PLEASE, cut this out!

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 24 2013, 10:51pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 10:53pm

Post #2 of 52 (1708 views)
Shortcut
I dont think the entire [In reply to] Can't Post

film will be ruined, but it sounds like a very untolkien line to me.

Who knows how these inventions will work...based on what we have seen , when they invent stuff, theres a good chance, it will be bad.

I can just picture Van Damme saying it..Crazy

Vous commencez Ó m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Mar 24 2013, 10:54pm)

╩leniel Tindome
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 10:55pm

Post #3 of 52 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Oh no - forgot about that but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I didnt like the costume either. Its kinda boring compared to the other detailed costumes. Was a bit disappointed, cause I was looking forward to make a new female fight costume.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/REDBOOKTheHalflingMockumentary?ref=hl][bild]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5245/redbookbanner11.jpg[/bild]

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 10:56pm

Post #4 of 52 (1621 views)
Shortcut
You guys can be sooo predictable. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 10:57pm

Post #5 of 52 (1405 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't that bad [In reply to] Can't Post

First off I think she says "Do you like death, then I shall give it to you", which whether Tolkien or not, sounds like something that could easily have been dialogue in Lord of the Rings. It sounds Rohan-ish or even Aragorn. Maybe Aragorn got too evolved as the movie went on to say such a line, but I can easily imagine Strider saying it as we first met him, especially to an Orc.

I don't think it stands out from most of the other dialogue.

As well, I like her costume because it's more practical and fitting to her station. It only makes sense that the elven guard costumes would sort of resemble Legolas' really. These are woodland elves, I have a feeling they are going to be slightly more concerned with being practical in their garb than how cool they look. They live and fight in a great, dense forest, their clothing should reflect that to some extent.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Mar 24 2013, 11:04pm)

Rane
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 11:00pm

Post #6 of 52 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Tell me about it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite sad really. You know, if people don't like the previews they have the option (amazing right?) of not seeing the movie. One line will not "ruin" the movie unless you purposely hinge your whole experience on it.

Photobucket

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:02pm

Post #7 of 52 (1396 views)
Shortcut
toss [In reply to] Can't Post

unless those lines involve tossing dwarves, which is an insult to everyone.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 11:21pm

Post #8 of 52 (1314 views)
Shortcut
So imagine this: [In reply to] Can't Post

You're an angry female Silvan Elf (big stretch, I know). You're full of adrenalin. You've got an orc on its knees. What do *you* say to it? Tauriel's line sounds pretty reasonable under the circumstances.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:31pm

Post #9 of 52 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Please, please, PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Get rid of 'Tauriel', or at least make her part very minor indeed if you do have to have this invented character in the film. There's enough going on with the major characters, old and new, without this addition.

In Reply To
PLEASE, PJ. I AM BEGGING YOU, PLEASE CUT OUT THE LINE WHERE TAURIEL SAYS "YOU LIKE KILLING? YOU LIKE DEATH? I SHALL GIVE IT TO YOU."
If this is in the movie, the entire thing will be ruined. PLEASE, cut this out!

╩leniel Tindome
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 11:34pm

Post #10 of 52 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Costume... [In reply to] Can't Post

@AragornTheElfstone - yes.Angelic

@marillaraina - okay, thats true, but even Legolas practical woodland-travel fashion in LOTR had more nice details and was fabricated in an elegant way. Its just obvious that Ngila Dickson is not on board anymore.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/REDBOOKTheHalflingMockumentary?ref=hl][bild]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5245/redbookbanner11.jpg[/bild]

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:37pm

Post #11 of 52 (1228 views)
Shortcut
You just have to [In reply to] Can't Post

ignore it to be honest.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:39pm

Post #12 of 52 (1251 views)
Shortcut
I'm not insulted [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even know about any issues until you had a couple of people get overly sensitive about it here.

╩leniel Tindome
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 11:43pm

Post #13 of 52 (1180 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

..just studied some screenshots, her leggins and boots seem to have nice floral ornaments, so there are some nice details after all

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 11:45pm

Post #14 of 52 (1246 views)
Shortcut
Why the condescending speech? [In reply to] Can't Post

His grievance is understandable. His fiery fervor is also understandable as a fan of Tolkien. Should we be excited and happy about this wonderfull inclusion to the adaptation of TH?Would Tolkien be happy with it?

What did you think of the line and Tauriel?

Not that i think the whole film woul be ruined, but it would make me cringe really bad...

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:47pm

Post #15 of 52 (1160 views)
Shortcut
costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
@AragornTheElfstone - yes.Angelic

@marillaraina - okay, thats true, but even Legolas practical woodland-travel fashion in LOTR had more nice details and was fabricated in an elegant way. Its just obvious that Ngila Dickson is not on board anymore.

I just saw a screen cap of Tauriel and her costume was every bit as detailed as Legolos. The material has a sort of raised pattern, her arm guards have a pattern, her waist cinch is interesting.

These elves are not the same elves, they shouldn't be quite so elegant, they are supposed to be a little more down to earth. But her costume has plenty of detailing on it.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:52pm

Post #16 of 52 (1229 views)
Shortcut
I don't see it doing any more harm to the movie as lines such as... [In reply to] Can't Post

"A diversion." Or the red sun.

Cool

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 25 2013, 12:04am

Post #17 of 52 (1155 views)
Shortcut
I was fine with the line myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I knew, as the first line spoken by a non-Tolkien character, it would be ripped to shreds on the boards.

Regardless, I do think it's unfair to judge a line head as part of behind-the-scenes b-roll. There's no sense of the atmosphere of the film in that moment. You don't have the intended camera framing, idea of character, structure, pace, or even the accompanying musical score.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 25 2013, 12:06am)

Nightwing
Bree

Mar 25 2013, 12:09am

Post #18 of 52 (1146 views)
Shortcut
A poor line, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can't help but to think that I'm going to like Tauriel. Probably because the actress herself seems very likeable.

Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh can't write, and Galadriel is not the most powerful being in all of Middle-earth. She is inferior to Sauron, Saruman, and Gandalf.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 12:14am

Post #19 of 52 (1104 views)
Shortcut
yes....any line not in the books....should be cut out [In reply to] Can't Post

so i guess they should cut out all the scenes that are not in the books too...

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 25 2013, 12:14am

Post #20 of 52 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

"Give us the halfling, she-elf!"

Just be glad George Lucas isn't writing the script. We'd have buckets-ful of groaners for sure.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 12:17am

Post #21 of 52 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Thats all true [In reply to] Can't Post

but that accursed george lucas dialogue still sounded bad on the page. I got a distinct Van Damme feel form her.Tongue

Hopefully, it wont be so ...cringe worthy..

As to it being ripped to shreds, well, i support that. Its a natural Tolkien induced reaction. Wink

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 12:18am

Post #22 of 52 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
..just studied some screenshots, her leggins and boots seem to have nice floral ornaments, so there are some nice details after all

Sorry, when I was typing up my post I didn't realize you'd already posted.

╩leniel Tindome
Bree

Mar 25 2013, 12:19am

Post #23 of 52 (1071 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOOOL [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but that accursed george lucas dialogue still sounded bad on the page. I got a distinct Van Damme feel form her.Tongue

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 12:21am

Post #24 of 52 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Ahhh!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Give us the halfling, she-elf!"

Just be glad George Lucas isn't writing the script. We'd have buckets-ful of groaners for sure.

I don't even want to think about what it would be like with George Lucas writing it.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 12:23am

Post #25 of 52 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Cheers [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Two people here thought of GLucas and brought him to the discussion because of her dialogue...i have a bad feeling about this...Sly

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.