Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Official *SPOILERS* for DOS Sneak Peek
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 8:18pm

Post #1 of 105 (5440 views)
Shortcut
Official *SPOILERS* for DOS Sneak Peek Can't Post

So. After all these confusing "where do I get a code?" and "who wants a code?" posts.. it might be a good idea to start one for talking about the spoilers in this special

BTW: A funny thing what might make some of you guys angry: I saw the sneak peek without buying the bluray/dvd yet. I'm not sure if it all was just a PR gag but I didn't have a code and just used a free variation of letters and numbers and I was able to see the whole thing. I don't think that I was that lucky to find a correct code... perhaps it was just a technical error. Who knows?

Let's talk about the SPOILERS!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Carne
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 8:22pm

Post #2 of 105 (2980 views)
Shortcut
Just a few I noticed: [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves in their underwear climbing up a wall, trying to get into a building(?).

Braga chasing Bard.

Tauriel interrogating an orc.

Beorn's axe chopping wood.

mx6789

Mar 24 2013, 8:24pm

Post #3 of 105 (2907 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how others feel about it (if they saw it), but the initial look of Smaug seemed very cartoonish. And I know this is a fantasy movie, but I think it could have looked more realistic (as realistic as you can get with a fictional creature). I hope that was truly only initial and he'll be different for the actual movie. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's what I think.

trqn13
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 8:28pm

Post #4 of 105 (2606 views)
Shortcut
Beorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

lots of talk about no Beorn, however it might just of been my imagination but did anyone else see a black bear in the last minute quick scene thing?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 8:28pm

Post #5 of 105 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

That wasn't the actual Smaug. Peter was just teasing. He even said "you don't think I'd show you Smaug do you"?

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 8:33pm

Post #6 of 105 (2520 views)
Shortcut
Among others... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought, hear the end, there was a quick glimpse of Gandalf fighting with Thrain again.

Radagast and Gandalf in the High Fells was awesome, so was that whole scene!!

A quick glimpse of the Master of Laketown.

I'm still mentally processing!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Mar 24 2013, 8:34pm)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 8:35pm

Post #7 of 105 (2411 views)
Shortcut
I didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

all I saw was his axe coming down...

BUT, in a way, I'm glad they didn't show Beorn because I hope that means that the Weta crew are hard at working making him look very, very believable.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 8:36pm

Post #8 of 105 (2556 views)
Shortcut
We are the dwarves of Erebor... [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene just gave me chills :) I hope they put that end montage up somewhere so we can see everything again.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 8:43pm

Post #9 of 105 (2409 views)
Shortcut
*Whoooosh* [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe would fall for that...

* crunch *

trqn13
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 8:51pm

Post #10 of 105 (2290 views)
Shortcut
saw it [In reply to] Can't Post

it was pretty much one of the animated dragons off how to train your dragon,, needs to be more like the harry potter 4 dragon :D

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 8:52pm

Post #11 of 105 (2428 views)
Shortcut
My favorites... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing the multiple scenes in the boat with Martin doing his lines. I loved to see that and how many they did and how he did it interesting each time and the whole editing process and how the angles changed
Thranduil and Thorin. Whew. That is going to be awesome.
Evangeline Lilly. Okay that was funny with the bird tweeting in the background LOL
The artists rendering of Mirkwood and Thranduil's halls.
Bombur on the stretcher
Stephen Colbert. LOL.
Dom. Too funny
Bilbo standing on the pile of gold talking to Smaug sans ring. That is going to be an intense scene I think.
"We are the Dwarves of Erebor"
The dwarves wrapped up in the webs.
The High Fels. Enough said. Gandalf and Radagast investigating the tombs. AWESOME

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 9:03pm

Post #12 of 105 (2325 views)
Shortcut
High Fells surprised me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just posted on another thread but i think it needs addressing here too

I feel that this scene was cut out of AUJ. I was expecting this scene being in the extended cut of AUJ most likely as following Gandalf after Rivendell while the Dwarves are in Goblin town. It would have just have fitted, as the previous shot of gandalf was with Galadriel "The riddle of the morgul blade must be solved".

Just to add to to this I've got ' The Hobbit Chronicles of Middle earth' and there is a section in there is a couple of pages in there which discusses it! (Pg 150-151 for anyone who has it). It says - "While Gandalf seeks answers beneath the mountains, Thorin leads his company over them..." Yet more proof that this scene was originally going to be in AUJ.

What I'm wondering is how they're going to explain this in AUJ? A possible prologue but unlikely. Since most of the audience probably won't realise that this scene was originally meant to be on the other side of the misty mountains, they will know no different...

However the problem with this is that Galadriel says at the white council "They were buried in the high fells of Rhudar". Now Rhudar is on the side of the misty mountains which they just crossed over! And i highly doubt that Gandalf will travel back across it in DOS.

Guess we've already got a film inconsistency...

Any thoughts?

Welsh hero
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 9:07pm

Post #13 of 105 (2202 views)
Shortcut
I could not watch [In reply to] Can't Post

1. no code
2. power cut Frown

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 9:12pm

Post #14 of 105 (2302 views)
Shortcut
So much Thranduil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh I loved it! I've been wondering how he'd be because ten seconds of him in AUJ did not stomp out my curiosity lol.

He looks very intense and great! That red coat he was wearing and without the crown looked great!

I also loved Bard! Much better than in that photo we've seen!

Also Bilbo worrying over a cut Kili had? OOoooOooooh

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 9:17pm

Post #15 of 105 (2095 views)
Shortcut
glimpse of the lonely mountain walls? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was that outside of the hidden door/on their way to the door or was that in Mirkwood?

*referring to the shot of the company and the "earthquake" line.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 9:19pm

Post #16 of 105 (2037 views)
Shortcut
Oh well, you know what they say... Never venture East // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 24 2013, 9:21pm)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:28pm

Post #17 of 105 (2037 views)
Shortcut
so i guess i was the only one who thoroughly enjoyed it [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry, mods -- i started a new thread because i thought it would be good idea to have a separate thread for those who liked it, vs. those who didn't.

where others saw filler, i saw a wonderful, easy-going time with the director of films i love. i thought jackson and brophy (and the third fellow, whose name i didn't nab) charming and warm.

and i loved the cast questions. was hoping for armitage and freeman, but was extremely happy to see everyone else. loved dominic monaghan's in particular, for sheer personality.

got a kick out of stephen fry's video repeatedly cut away from to other things.

i'm definitely not like many of you. i +don't+ want to see how the sausage is made. i don't want to see camera crews or green screens, so i kept having to block my gaze with strategic hand placement.

seeing the concept work for thranduil's underground realm was wonderful, and i was thrilled with the look of his throne (megaloceros horns). saw some green screen with that, unhappily, but the thrill was greater.

i thought the whole thing was handled well, and they gave a lot of thought to it. staggered time zones, archiving it on the site, and being able to use the code multiple times (if you, like me, lost your internet connection and had to reboot your laptop, this was a gift from manwe).

well done, mr. jackson, and thank you.

thank you also to the mods, who i'm sure at this moment have their hands full with people posting things that would imperil torn's relationship with warner brothers, and a lot of general disappointment from viewers.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2013, 9:33pm

Post #18 of 105 (1948 views)
Shortcut
No, you weren't. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care about the cricket score.
I don't care about a mug.
I don't care about James Bond posters.
I don't about all that gumpf.

I did love everything relevant to DOS though, which is why I was watching. Everything looked fantastic I would like to watch again as I missed roughly 10 minutes of it.

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Post #19 of 105 (2119 views)
Shortcut
Shhhhhhhhhhmog. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter and the crew need to learn proper American.

Kept calling it the "Dissolation of Shhhhmog." Come to think of it, they say "Shhhmeagol," a lot too -it's "smeagol," thankyou. Look peter, maybe y'all can't pronounce words starting with "sm" with out throwing in an h, but the dragon's name is, "SMAUG." There's no bloody 'H' in there. I can already see how they'll pronounce it in the film. Tongue

Laketown and its cast looked interesting.

marillaraina
Rohan

Post #20 of 105 (2042 views)
Shortcut
I liked that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Oh I loved it! I've been wondering how he'd be because ten seconds of him in AUJ did not stomp out my curiosity lol.

He looks very intense and great! That red coat he was wearing and without the crown looked great!

I also loved Bard! Much better than in that photo we've seen!

Also Bilbo worrying over a cut Kili had? OOoooOooooh

I actually enjoyed that whole little boat scene. The dwarves are on a boat that it turns out Bard is driving, I assume this is on the way to Laketown. PJ showed just how many different versions of the scene they do in order to get exactly the right cut, and also how Martin Freeman gives a different line reading every single time, to try and get everything possible out of the scene. Kili was sitting next to Bilbo on the boat and Bilbo says something, Kili says quietly something like it's just a scratch, and then Bilbo says concernedly something like "just a scratch! that's an orc wound" and then gets up and gives his little speech about how he wished he hadn't left home and how Hobbits learn from childhood that nothing good comes out of going east! I'm not doing the dialogue justice at all, but Martin really came up with some terrific line readings for it(Oddly I think I liked the first or second one they showed us the best, the one in the long shot, but that might change once it is in it's entirely context with all the proper editing).

It's a great little scene and I thought it was fun getting to see so many variations of it, they also cut to some of the other dwarves, Thorin is also shown looking out the side of the boat and of course Bard has some lines there to, to them, as he's driving the boat.

I also agree Bard looks better than in the photos. The mullet doesn't look nearly so mullety. :)

Thranduil should be a real treat, can't wait for that Legolas/Thranduil scene(he's wearing the red coat in that one as I recall).

I also liked what we saw of Tauriel. Now we'll have to see what they actually do with her storyline BUT I thought she made a fine "lesser elf". She looked good and they didn't "sexify" her a lot, her outfit was fitted but it wasn't any different from what we see Legolas wearing. I think that while the character may be an addition, one which strictly speaking probably isn't necessary, she could end up being a good addition none the less. Yes she was "kick ass" but I don't think that's an issue, she's head of the guard, why wouldn't she be able to throw down? It didn't come across as "I am Elf Woman, Hear Me Roar" or anything like that. LOL

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2013, 9:37pm

Post #21 of 105 (1967 views)
Shortcut
That's just PJ. They pronounced Smaug fine in AUJ. Can't imagine they'll say it any differently in DOS or TABA. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2013, 9:37pm

Post #22 of 105 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Heh, Metal Slug... [In reply to] Can't Post

just be really grateful that Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf, or we could have had the heavy "sh" shounds all the way through the moviesh. Wink

Silverlode

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:38pm

Post #23 of 105 (1925 views)
Shortcut
I missed some minutes of it, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i catched most of it.

The quality was not HD, so it was blurry all the time.

Pj wasted a lot of time talking about stuff, cups , feet, posters, and what not.

I saw too much green screen.

Laketwon looks intriguing and vast. Love the canals. The master might be an interesting character. Bard is different, they seem to be making him some sort of robin hood vigilante who is not obviously good.

Mirkwood looks good from the design, the throne looked fantastic, with that mooses horns! But alas, there was nothing to see since it was green screened.

Thranduil seems to a one of the bets things we will have. He looks stern, dangerous, inquisitive.

Finally, Tauriel. Like her look. Not sure about her plotline. She and Legolas seem to be killing orcs around mirkwood or dol guldur, when she delivers that " you want death? Ill give you death" line. This could become some terrible fan fiction story. Her line sounds cheesy.

Bilbos grumpiness at the beginning was appropriately bagginsish.

I seem to have missed Beorn, some actual footage that was shown, what else...

Overall, it went by quickly, and did not live up to my expectations.

No trailer till summertime, right? Unsure

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 24 2013, 10:35pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:41pm

Post #24 of 105 (1891 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to tORN, mx6789!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson is known for pranks. In fact, check out Forgotten Silver... the whole movie is a prank that fooled a lot of his own country-folk. Laugh

The entire event was filled with jokes but you can be sure that the images they showed were nothing like what Smaug will look like.

The opening eye at the end of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a good indication of where things are headed.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:42pm

Post #25 of 105 (1886 views)
Shortcut
I loved every minute of it [In reply to] Can't Post

I like seeing the production. I like seeing where they film. If others don't like it, I can't help them with that. I liked it all. Every minute.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.