Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
YES ! The High Fells in DOS !!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 8:13pm

Post #1 of 49 (2333 views)
Shortcut
YES ! The High Fells in DOS !!!! Can't Post

Wow,how amazing that scene was right ?

I wonder how it will turn out to be shown geopraphical..what you guys think were it will be placed ? I guess after Gandalf leaving the company...

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 8:54pm

Post #2 of 49 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Bit of a surprise... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel that this scene was cut out of AUJ. I had imagined this scene being in the extended cut of AUJ most likely as following Gandalf after Rivendell while the Dwarves are in Goblin town. It would have just have fitted, as the previous shot of gandalf was with Galadriel "The riddle of the morgul blade must be solved".

Just to add to to this I've got ' The Hobbit Chronicles of Middle earth' and there is a section in there is a couple of pages in there which discusses it! (Pg 150-151 for anyone who has it). It says - "While Gandalf seeks answers beneath the mountains, Thorin leads his company over them..." Yet more proof that this scene was originally going to be in AUJ.

What I'm wondering is how they're going to explain this in AUJ? A possible prologue but unlikely. Since most of the audience probably won't realise that this scene was originally meant to be on the other side of the misty mountains, they will know no different...

However the problem with this is that Galadriel says at the white council "They were buried in the high fells of Rhudar". Now Rhudar is on the side of the misty mountains which they just crossed over! And i highly doubt that Gandalf will travel back across it in DOS.

Guess we've already got a film inconsistency...

Any thoughts?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 9:08pm

Post #3 of 49 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ isnt that much into geographics ;) I dont think it works as a prologue because the scene is a bit to "slow" to bring the audience back into the movie.

I could see it work either as a flashback during another White council meeting or straight after Gandalf leaving the dwarves before mirkwood..dont think there are other choices.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 9:08pm

Post #4 of 49 (1039 views)
Shortcut
It looks like.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... they're setting it up to be after Gandalf leaves, but before the attack on Dol Guldur, maybe they find enough evidence to convince Saruman that the Necromancer is really Sauron?

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 9:17pm

Post #5 of 49 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Can't believe it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes no sense holding this over to DoS, (neither geographically or pacing-wise,) we don't need another a flashback if the Gandalf/Thrain encounter is going to be past-tense also. The Weta Chronicles show that it would have fitted perfectly after the White Council scenes, and explains why Gandalf is further behind the Dwarves by the time they get to Goblin Town. And why let Chronicles be published if it is not accurate? This must be a really, really late decision... Frown

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:25pm

Post #6 of 49 (974 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont know if it was finished material, but it looked a bit digital...there was something odd about the way gandalf moved...

But that aside, i didnt see anything really interesting in that scene...gandalf takes a look, jar jar raddy shows up, in a way that almost feels as if this was his first scene...

Meh, its not canonical...it doesnt add anything really...i could see this being cut at all...not really interested in seeing them go to the main chamber and having gandalf utter some ominous lines about the nazgul...

If it is to be kept i would prefer the EE, since this was supposed to be where gandalf goes before goblin town...

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 9:27pm

Post #7 of 49 (952 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what i was saying, [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus having this scene in AUJ after Rivendell, helps us make sense of where Radagast is! I mean, after the warg chase he just disappears and it feels like another scene with Radagast was meant to be in the movie. Having this scene where it was meant to be makes must more coherent sense and helps avoid the 'Radagast absence' from the rest of the film...

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 9:36pm

Post #8 of 49 (961 views)
Shortcut
now that its been shown [In reply to] Can't Post

i dont think it gets cutted for a second time. I really like the atmosphere in that scene and we already havent seen everything of it,the beginning and the ending...so, i am looking forward to see it.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 9:45pm

Post #9 of 49 (959 views)
Shortcut
This entire preview made me long for the original cut of AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The film would have been so gigantically epic in it's original form (not to mention more tightly edited), going all the way to the barrels escape. *sigh*

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:52pm

Post #10 of 49 (884 views)
Shortcut

but .....you might see it someday.Wink

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 10:01pm

Post #11 of 49 (862 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd still rather have had a tight, streamlined 2-film version of TH, without the Azog padding, and, say, 40+ mins EE for each film of canon stuff that might have needed to be cut.

Here's a novel idea - how about a 2 film version of TH, with all the White Council/Necromancer stuff on the EEs! So you have the TE for Bilbo's version of events, and the EE for the missing "Gandalf's story" Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Mar 24 2013, 10:04pm)

Oin K
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 10:22pm

Post #12 of 49 (812 views)
Shortcut
Did he say it was going to be in DOS for sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas, I missed the live event, so I'm going on all second-hand accounts here. Did PJ actually say that the scene he was showing us was in DOS? Considering he's probably working on the AUJ:EE as well, it could just as easily be a preview for that.

Heck, even if he outright SAID it was going to be in DOS, I don't think there's any reason to take that as a given, considering everything we've been told before that got moved around (remember this scene was originally referenced in the trailer for film 1, ferchrissake).

I'm with those who feel that it would work better in AUJ:EE, but as always I'll withhold judgment for the final product.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 10:36pm

Post #13 of 49 (818 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping for High Fells in EE, since it defies cannon. That said. . . The Dol Guldur Battle seems more unlikely to be in film two now [In reply to] Can't Post

For we now would have to expect that this film will contain The High Fells (which looks good and interesting even if it is all wrong! lmao), Gandalf in Dol Guldur (perhaps twice), some meeting of The White Council in which decisive action is agreed upon (or at least seriously discussed). .. AND all the rest of the stuff in the movie, with an evident expansion of interactions both in Thranduil's halls AND possibly in Laketown.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

leniel Tindome
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 10:38pm

Post #14 of 49 (773 views)
Shortcut
Yes it looked digital to me too [In reply to] Can't Post

...this scene had this annoying TV-style, what made it odd and a bit out of place. Also this eerie and spooky atmosphere ....it was more like a new mystery mock up something.

[url=https://www.facebook.com/REDBOOKTheHalflingMockumentary?ref=hl][bild]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5245/redbookbanner11.jpg[/bild]

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 10:39pm

Post #15 of 49 (753 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, as stated in my post above, with my reasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks good, but it isn't anywere near correct, so I would prefer it in EE. But. . . . I am not in charge of production (a real pity Unimpressed Wink) lol.

In Reply To
It makes no sense holding this over to DoS, (neither geographically or pacing-wise,) we don't need another a flashback if the Gandalf/Thrain encounter is going to be past-tense also. The Weta Chronicles show that it would have fitted perfectly after the White Council scenes, and explains why Gandalf is further behind the Dwarves by the time they get to Goblin Town. And why let Chronicles be published if it is not accurate? This must be a really, really late decision... Frown

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 10:52pm

Post #16 of 49 (724 views)
Shortcut
seems like [In reply to] Can't Post

the majority does not like the scene or thinks its not placed well...i really liked the scene with all its creepy atmosphere, brilliant !

vexx801
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 10:53pm

Post #17 of 49 (740 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone on the forums said that this scene may be placed during their stay with Beorn, where Gandalf could explain why he hadn't met up with them.

And they probably kept it out of the Extended Editions because it was necessary for the theatrical audience to see it to make sense of whatever is in film 2 and 3 concerning the whole Necromancer plot line.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 10:58pm

Post #18 of 49 (708 views)
Shortcut

thats right, TV like feel. And it felt more like a mock up of mystery searches...

The quiet music was good and appropriate , i guess.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:39pm

Post #19 of 49 (707 views)
Shortcut
I guess the Nazgul will be the main opponents... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for the WC in Dol Guldur. And that is why it needs to be seen outside of the EE.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:53pm

Post #20 of 49 (633 views)
Shortcut
I really like the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it quite scary and want to see the whole thing I don't care how, whether in the AUJ EE or in DoS.

In Reply To
the majority does not like the scene or thinks its not placed well...i really liked the scene with all its creepy atmosphere, brilliant !

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 12:06am

Post #21 of 49 (634 views)
Shortcut
Timeline [In reply to] Can't Post

As has been mentioned it isn't accurate timeline wise but I did like what we saw and depending on how the entire thing feels I will roll with it (if it keeps the feel of Middle-earth).

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 12:07am

Post #22 of 49 (628 views)
Shortcut
no, it could work [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf travels back to another white council, this time to persuade them to confront the rising evil at dol-duldur. While he travels back, he enters the high fells.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

imin
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 12:37am

Post #23 of 49 (574 views)
Shortcut
Yeah i would have loved that [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we will see that version though - when we get our EE editions and have our remotes at the ready, lol.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 12:46am

Post #24 of 49 (580 views)
Shortcut
He goes back [In reply to] Can't Post

towards the goblins infested misty mountains?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Mar 25 2013, 1:11am

Post #25 of 49 (562 views)
Shortcut
well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin and company went towards the goblin infested misty mountains too.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.