Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Okay Already? Bomby Blew it...So Wha' Ya" Thinkin'..Beyond Awesome or What?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 60 (1742 views)
Shortcut
Okay Already? Bomby Blew it...So Wha' Ya" Thinkin'..Beyond Awesome or What? Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 8:00pm

Post #2 of 60 (950 views)
Shortcut
Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson is such a geek. I loved it. I loved seeing the clip on the boat with Bilbo and the dwarves and man interesting how Freeman did each take differently. That was totally a treat to see then see the final one. I enjoyed the art, I thought the action sequences we saw looked good. This film is going to be something I really like I can tell.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Joe20
Lorien

Mar 24 2013, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 60 (837 views)
Shortcut
Snow [In reply to] Can't Post

Snow!!!!!! Can't wait to see that scene right at the end of the sizzle reel.

smokerings
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 8:06pm

Post #4 of 60 (819 views)
Shortcut
Loved it!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The last 2 mins was just too much to handle....Beorn's Axe, caverns, Smaug's roar, Mirkwood, EVERYTHING!!!

So my question is - How did Radagast end up with Gandalf in the crypts? And why was he so confused as to why he was there?

(This post was edited by smokerings on Mar 24 2013, 8:07pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 8:06pm

Post #5 of 60 (817 views)
Shortcut
Loved it as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Mirkwood looks awesome! So creepy and ruined by the poison that is Sauron coming back into the world. I'm really looking forward to seeing The Master of Laketwon in action as well as how Bard is going to go about things since we know little from the books. I'm really liking what I see of Thranduril, Legolas, and of Tauriel. That is going to create some really amazing moments I think.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 8:07pm

Post #6 of 60 (835 views)
Shortcut
Um yeah W O W [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved: well all of it

Gandalf lighting his Staff in the Tomb

Thorin and Thranduil nose to nose

A Laketown BOAT! (Rostron I thought of you!)

Stephen Colbert - you rock

Dwarves wrapped up in spiderwebs

Barrels stacked in the Elvenking's cellar

Orlando in action

Ok that's the tip of the iceberg.........

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 8:09pm

Post #7 of 60 (768 views)
Shortcut
Some cool stuff, but dissapointed by the lack of Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug I can see why they are keeping him under wraps, but I think it's high-time to show Beorn in his human form already...

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

trqn13
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 8:10pm

Post #8 of 60 (765 views)
Shortcut
amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

beyond awesome indeed,, would of preferred to hear all of what Stephen fry had to say instead of some incomprehensible nonsense from two Asian girls but oh well was probably payback for his jokes at the BAFTAS,, bring on December!!!!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 8:14pm

Post #9 of 60 (716 views)
Shortcut

Lots and lots shown! Loved it sooo much it's worth rewatching. Glad someone recorded the video to watch on his or her iPhone over and over again. Evil

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 8:18pm

Post #10 of 60 (777 views)
Shortcut
Disappointed by Thranduil's halls [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved his throne. But I was hoping to see a beautiful elven dwelling, but instead it looks to me like we're getting another of PJ's ugly floating bridge-mazes above another bottomless pit Frown

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 24 2013, 8:26pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 8:22pm

Post #11 of 60 (761 views)
Shortcut
Disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

As expected, the questions were throwaway. At least the VIP guest appearances provided some levity (Colbert *lol*).

Most of the stuff was them as they shoot, basically like the vlogs. Finished footage was pretty much none, except that brief scene of Gandalf wandering through the crypt, which we have already seen parts of in the teaser for the first movie. Gotta say, quite liked the scene. Nice, eerie vibe, with that background noise. And Radagast was bearable. Wink

So pretty much a vlog, which would be fine, but as "this big preview event" kinda underwhelming.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Mar 24 2013, 8:29pm)

glor
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 8:27pm

Post #12 of 60 (760 views)
Shortcut
Thorin and Thranduil nose to nose [In reply to] Can't Post

Can anyone make out what they were saying exactly?

I thought it was the famous Thranduil getting annoyed with Thorin; why were you attacking us/we were starving' scene from the book, from by not so good attempts at lip reading...

I wonder how they are going to do nose to nose in the actual film considering the height differences? I wonder if Thranduil will tell his aides to put Thorin on a box, a la Legolas' 'would you like me to find you a box' comment to Gimli in TTT?

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 8:53pm

Post #13 of 60 (657 views)
Shortcut
I loved it too: Radagast speculation [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think (but hope not) that Radagast might be under the control of Saruman and is spying on Gandalf. If he's not, I will be relieved but that seemed like it was something more than Raddy being his usually sweet addled self. Folks have politely reminded me he was an unknowing tool of Saruman's (been a long time since I've read LoTR beyond the Durin notations in the appendices.)...so that might be the case ???

I adored that scene, but if Beorn is as wonderful as Radagast and Thorin have been so far, I will be an utterly happy camper.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 9:03pm

Post #14 of 60 (635 views)
Shortcut
*SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin and Thranduil, dripping with icy attitude, nose-to-nose! HeartHeartHeart Thranduil apparently giving as good as he gets from Thorin. And Thranduil snarking at Legolas about what the dwarves are up to in his realm. Thranduil's going to take that elvish attitude I love so much to a whole new height. HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart Argghhh! Am I a dwarf-fancier or an elf-fancier? This is the Existential Ro Crisis I was worried about!!!

Ok, I think I have some other thoughts but the whole Thorin/Thranduil/maybe Legolas too thing has really got me distracted. Oh, Bard. Love the idea that he's portrayed as a bit enigmatic. Robin Hood-ish. Should have known PJ would take that character to a deeper level than we get in the book. And the snow! The snow!!! It's perfect! Will it indeed snow during the Bo5A? Looking more possible! And those huddled dwarves sure looked miserable at the beginning, hunkered down in the boat. Loved the insights into Martin's style of delivering different performances with each take. Rather like Ian McKellan does.

So so so so excited. Can you tell? *SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE*

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 9:06pm

Post #15 of 60 (628 views)
Shortcut
Could sort of hear but can't quite remember [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil was talking, seemed to be criticizing Thorin - who was terse and silent, and without his studded shirt or leather coat I think. Will need to see once the details are up. I thought Lee looked very animated as Thranduil which was a nice surprise.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2013, 9:07pm

Post #16 of 60 (605 views)
Shortcut
He seemed even more vacant than usual. It was my thought as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely something going on. And since it's very similar to what Radagast did in the book ...

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2013, 9:08pm

Post #17 of 60 (598 views)
Shortcut
It was alright [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't care at all for all the filler and gumpf. And I was cringing the entire way through.

Thank you for putting that together though team. Much appreciated. I look forward to seeing an edited version. I missed about 10 minutes because of a dodgy hotel connection.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 9:10pm

Post #18 of 60 (598 views)
Shortcut
About the high fells... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've posted this else where but would love to hear your thoughts...

I feel that this scene was cut out of AUJ. I had imagined this scene being in the extended cut of AUJ most likely as following Gandalf after Rivendell while the Dwarves are in Goblin town. It would have just have fitted, as the previous shot of gandalf was with Galadriel "The riddle of the morgul blade must be solved".

Just to add to to this I've got ' The Hobbit Chronicles of Middle earth' and there is a section in there is a couple of pages in there which discusses it! (Pg 150-151 for anyone who has it). It says - "While Gandalf seeks answers beneath the mountains, Thorin leads his company over them..." Yet more proof that this scene was originally going to be in AUJ.

What I'm wondering is how they're going to explain this in AUJ? A possible prologue but unlikely. Since most of the audience probably won't realise that this scene was originally meant to be on the other side of the misty mountains, they will know no different...

However the problem with this is that Galadriel says at the white council "They were buried in the high fells of Rhudar". Now Rhudar is on the side of the misty mountains which they just crossed over! And i highly doubt that Gandalf will travel back across it in DOS.

Guess we've already got a film inconsistency...

Any thoughts?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:13pm

Post #19 of 60 (614 views)
Shortcut

I really liked the emotion I saw in Thranduil. I also thought it was interesting that Legolas appeared to be disagreeing with Thranduil quite a bit. I couldn't make it out but that could add some very fascinating juice to the flow and also sort of bridge to FoTR and the council of Elrond in that film.

I loved how stern RA was in that scene with Thranduil. Not moving a muscle in spite of the fact that Thrand is in his face. Truly a king of Durin's line. Loved loved loved it.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 24 2013, 9:17pm

Post #20 of 60 (685 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone else look at Bard and think: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You destroyed my town. Prepare to die."

I keep seeing a resemblance between the two characters, I'm not sure why...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 9:27pm

Post #21 of 60 (569 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The disdainful resentment that we see on Thranduil's face in AUJ has been brought to life, and how. He's not the stiff stoic airbrain like poor Celeborn in the theatrical-cut of FOTR. PJ makes a distinction between these Woodland Elves and the High Elves; Thranduil and his folk are, well, more down-to-earth than Elrond and the Rivendell Elves. The closest we've seen so far of an Elf full of snarky attitude was Haldir with his "That dwarf breathes so loud I could have shot him in the dark" comment. Thranduil's going to take this so much further, and I just love it! And I think it's clear that Thorin's hatred of the elves, and Thranduil and his kin in particular, is mirrored by Thranduil's dislike of dwarves. I suspect he really really resented having to pay homage to Thror for so long.

You know, I remember being really excited for TTT to come out, but I know I wasn't *this* excited, and TTT is still my least favorite of the three LOTR movies (I did love it, just not quite as much as LOTR and ROTK). I don't think I'm going to like DOS any less than AUJ, though: there's going to be so much to enjoy!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 9:37pm

Post #22 of 60 (548 views)
Shortcut
Inconceivable! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
LOL! Actually, that's perfect. There's a strong resemblance. I hope I don't have trouble listening to him with a straight face.

Attachments: Inigo-Montoya-263x275.jpg (19.5 KB)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:48pm

Post #23 of 60 (531 views)
Shortcut
More like [In reply to] Can't Post

a pirates friend teenage girls used to be very fond of before the toothy take over. Tongue

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 9:49pm

Post #24 of 60 (527 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Ro I am beyond excited. I loved every minute of this. I just love the whole Thranduil/thorin juxtaposition. Those two are going to clash and it is totally consistent for Legolas to clash with his father. I can't wait to see that. I love the look of Laketown. Stephen Fry is a complete hoot and I think he's going to great as the Master. His video was funny too.

I cannot wait for this. It's going to be a long 8 1/2 months!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 24 2013, 10:20pm

Post #25 of 60 (486 views)
Shortcut
Me three!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, wait, there's only one of me. I'm so excited I figured I'd at least gone triplets!

Stephen Fry may be growing on me. Wasn't so sure about him to start with. His side-kick (what's his name? Alfrid or something?) reminded me of Grima. Good thing they didn't let RA play that sidekick instead of Thorin -- he's said he'd have loved to play Grima, so I can only imagine he would have loved playing Alfrid (?) too!

Seriously, I've been so smitten with Thorin it's hard to imagine this smitten-ness getting any more intense, but I really think adding Thranduil (and Legolas, too, I must admit) to the mix is going to intensify this smitten-ness so much that...that...well, I just may turn into a little melted puddle of intensely smitten drool. I've loved the snarky Elf attitude whenever we see it in LOTR, and it looks like Thranduil's going to wear the crown for that now. HeartHeartHeart

*whispers* Ok, so...is it *really* wrong to have the hots for a father, son, and dwarf all at the same time? Anyone?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.