Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Watching FotR and AUJ side-by-side

AshNazg
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 3:16pm

Post #1 of 13 (850 views)
Shortcut
Watching FotR and AUJ side-by-side Can't Post

I always felt there were a lot of similarities between these two films, so I decided to try them out side-by-side and I recommend you do the same.

They are more similar than you may realise, not just in pacing and story-arc, but voice patterns between Galadriel and Bilbo, for example, are very similar with both of them pausing at the same times and video transitions happening at the same time.

We pull out of the prologue at exactly the same time and go into a secondary prologue set in The Shire, then eventually get to the story when the characters meet Gandalf.

It goes on like this all the way through, things that happen in one film are mirrored in the other. This makes it even more confusing that people were complaining about The Hobbit's pacing, if they're both the same Crazy

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 13 (441 views)
Shortcut
"The first 45 minutes are boring" complaints came mostly from the critics, I've noticed. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is indeed confusing since the pace of FOTR is also quite slow in the beginning, nothing wrong with that. The unexpected party is SUPPOSED to be slow. Some critics have low attention spans.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 3:31pm

Post #3 of 13 (375 views)
Shortcut
That's pretty cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I love seeing what happened before FOTR began I hope they go back to it in the finl film the only thing that bugs me is Old Bilbo's hair why on earth would they change Bilbo's hair in the prologue? if it's suppose to be the same exact day! it kinda bugs me

AshNazg
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 13 (368 views)
Shortcut
I really recommend everyone try this out, though [In reply to] Can't Post

Things like The Arkenstone coming up at the same time as the Ring.. the panning shot of Gandalf going toward Bag End is at exactly the same time as the night-time panning shot (in exactly the same angle) Before the dwarves visit, then Bilbo opens the door for Gandalf at the same time as Dwalin appears. and the dishes song is when merry and pippin are doing the dishes.

It's really incredible!

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 3:46pm

Post #5 of 13 (349 views)
Shortcut
Kinda like wizard of oz? [In reply to] Can't Post

kinda like how wizard of oz and pnk floyd dark side of the moon syncs up?

AshNazg
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 4:27pm

Post #6 of 13 (301 views)
Shortcut
Yeah.. but more intentional I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

68:00 Aragorn gives the hobbits the swords
68:00 Thorin and co. find Glamdring, Sting and Orcrist

There are a few times where one film has to catch up, for example the shot after the Moria flashback the camera pulls back and we see the head of a warg come in. happens a little later than the mirrored shot where we pull back from Frodo and Sam camping to see the head of a Ringwraith's horse, but only by a min or so.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Mar 24 2013, 4:27pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 5:09pm

Post #7 of 13 (283 views)
Shortcut
This entire revelation is VERY interesting. And, to you Macfalk, absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, that first hour or so contains, to me at least, some of the best material in the movie. The majority of it, in fact. There are other great scenes, and wonderful moments (Gandalf arriving in Goblin Town, Galadriel with Gandalf [when she isn't coming across as his administrating officer], the flight of the Eagles etc.), but the lion's share of what I really loved in this movie was in that first hour, right up through Radagast getting information from the birds. Actually, I really enjoyed the troll scene as well, minus the mucous.

In Reply To
It is indeed confusing since the pace of FOTR is also quite slow in the beginning, nothing wrong with that. The unexpected party is SUPPOSED to be slow. Some critics have low attention spans.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

blair85
The Shire

Mar 24 2013, 11:06pm

Post #8 of 13 (132 views)
Shortcut
Theatrical or Extended? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious as I want to try this now, but don't want to use the wrong version. If it is theatrical, I'll probably do the same with the extended versions once the extended AUJ is released, to see if they were even more in sync.

mx6789

Mar 24 2013, 11:46pm

Post #9 of 13 (120 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit and Dark Side of the Moon [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually tried this last night and it was pretty cool. For example, Breathe started playing as Ian Holm lit the match. The lyrics of "look around" came with the large shot of the interior of Erebor, and "dig that hole" coincided with the dwarves mining. The song ended when Thror put the Arkenstone in its spot. The climax of On the Run was when Smaug reached the gold. Frodo closed the door to Bag End right on the first beat of the first verse of "Time". The chaos of the unexpected party occurred during the epic guitar solo of "Money", and the song immediately started to fade out as Thorin arrived, leading into the quiet discussion with "Us and Them" playing.
I know people can find patterns in everything as long as they look hard enough, but I thought the parallels were cool to see nonetheless.

Oin K
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 1:34am

Post #10 of 13 (97 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's hair [In reply to] Can't Post

One commenter cleared this one up for me nicely: when we see him in The Hobbit, he's just finished scrubbing his face and rinsing his hair for the morning. It's later in the day when we see him in Fellowship, and his hair has "settled" a fair bit by then.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

Oin K
Rivendell

Mar 25 2013, 1:38am

Post #11 of 13 (89 views)
Shortcut
Well, to be fair, the pacing of Fellowship is a bit off as well [In reply to] Can't Post

but that doesn't hamper my enjoyment of it. I'd love to line the two up like this, but I don't have the theatrical edition of FOTR, so I'll just have to wait for TH:AUJ:EE.

"The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm, and stout in the leg, and their snouts were long. Indeed this strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a snoutless Dwarf - unless he were rhinoplasted in mockery, and would then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have snouts from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike..." (History of Middle Earth, volume 11, The War of the Truffles, p. 205)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Mar 25 2013, 2:09am

Post #12 of 13 (83 views)
Shortcut
I read that too [In reply to] Can't Post

I read that comment also I keep thinking of it everytime I see it lol doesn't really work though

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Mar 25 2013, 2:37pm

Post #13 of 13 (70 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's improbable, but not impossible. And by what we have see, in Middle Earth a lot of things impossible for us just happen. Wink

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.