Instructions for ordering Map Prints - deadline October 12
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2007, 4:07am

Post #151 of 195 (5485 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying to watch for map-related posts but I missed his number. It's been added to the list. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 22 2007, 5:46pm

Post #152 of 195 (5492 views)
Shortcut
I got # 44 [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I didn't see that you had compiled a list!

Mine came last week - by chance I'd switched shifts with a colleague that day, so was at home to take it right out of the postman's hands.

I wrote a thankyou note to Daniel, and got a lovely reply saying how glad he was that it had made it safely all the way to Ireland!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2007, 12:32pm

Post #153 of 195 (5482 views)
Shortcut
Info on the paper for the print [In reply to] Can't Post

diedye asked Daniel what type of paper used for the prints, and here's his reply:

I got an answer back from Daniel Reeve on what kind of paper it was made of:

...the maps are acid-free, linen-free, lignin-free. They're printed on Lyson Fine Art (Smooth) paper, 100% cotton - it's archival quality.

And, Altaira, you may be interested to know this about that your map:

I drew (and painted) the original map on Fabriano Artistico E/W Soft-Pressed 300gsm watercolour paper, also 100% cotton, acid-free etc, archival paper.

Thanks, diedye!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2007, 4:04pm

Post #154 of 195 (5476 views)
Shortcut
I got a very nice reply from Daniel the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

I sent him a thank you email just after I got my map, and received a nice response from him this week:

"Thanks for letting me know it arrived safely Rebecca, and also for your comliments. As I'm sure you realise, I got pretty attached to that project, so I'm glad that everyone seems happy with the result, and I'm pleased with the prints - they do it justice. I hope your print brings you lots of enjoyment!"

Now i've just got to decide on the perfect frame for it!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Morwen
Rohan

Nov 28 2007, 12:02pm

Post #155 of 195 (5477 views)
Shortcut
It's on the wall! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pleased Very pleased. I picked it up from the framer Tuesday evening, and couldn't wait to see how it looked on the wall.

Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you; you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 28 2007, 2:09pm

Post #156 of 195 (5472 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

You picked a beautiful frame and mat. Can't wait to get mine this weekend! I haven't put anything on my walls since I moved last summer, so this will probably be the first to go up.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 28 2007, 2:49pm

Post #157 of 195 (5450 views)
Shortcut
Very handsome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine won't be back from the framer's until next week, although I already have the wall where it's going cleared off and ready!

I'll post a photo, too.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2007, 3:18pm

Post #158 of 195 (5457 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine will look similar, I think, in the colours chosen. I get it back next week!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Patty
Immortal

Nov 28 2007, 5:03pm

Post #159 of 195 (5458 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to a framer's today to get an idea of the cost. I'm sure this will be waiting till tax refund time. Mr. P. will be better able to do it then, in the style that I want. I'll be keeping it way up high and safe from grandPatty fingers till then.

For Gondor!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 29 2007, 12:45pm

Post #160 of 195 (5460 views)
Shortcut
#8 is living with weaver :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 2 2007, 9:41pm

Post #161 of 195 (5669 views)
Shortcut
My Map is Home! [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked my Map up from the framer today. It's beautiful. I missed it while it was gone and I'm so glad to have it safely home again. I haven't hung it on the wall yet, but it's leaning against the wall where it will be hung. Probably a project for next weekeend.

I don't have a great picture since the only way I can take a digital image is from my cell phone, and it's a dark, rainy day today so there isn't a lot of light. But here's what I have:

If I get a sunny day I'll get another picture and post it.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Patty
Immortal

Dec 3 2007, 12:20am

Post #162 of 195 (5483 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful. I love seeing these... [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, Entmaiden.Cool

For Gondor!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2007, 3:15pm

Post #163 of 195 (5465 views)
Shortcut
Another map is home! [In reply to] Can't Post

The frame shop finished mine a bit early, and the Gaffer hung it on the wall of my (home) office yesterday. Isn't it purty?

The russet mat-border is textured like the surface of the map itself. The black frame has parallel ridges that I see as lines of print in the books -- because, after all, the books are what frame everything here.

The little picture to the left of the map is one I took of the Scottish seacoast. While I moved the other pictures that were originally on my wall, I left that one there, opposite the Grey Havens part of the map. I've always seen Scotland as my personal far green country under a swift sunrise, after all.

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2007, 6:12pm

Post #164 of 195 (5448 views)
Shortcut
My map is home too [In reply to] Can't Post

and it looks great. I don't know yet where to put it, I may have to do some juggling. Now if I attached the link correctly, you can see it.

http://i67.photobucket.com/...berbeth/100_0206.jpg

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2007, 11:09pm

Post #165 of 195 (5448 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like your mat color is similar to mine.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 10 2007, 2:32pm

Post #166 of 195 (5428 views)
Shortcut
Great minds, er, frame alike [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the mats around my map is that same fawn-brown as well. It really picks up the map colors.

I'm impressed by your stone fireplace, Elberbeth. It looks very Middle-earthian.

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 13 2007, 1:14am

Post #167 of 195 (5467 views)
Shortcut
It's back! It's beautiful! my pictures stink! [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I don't have a working camera right now and can't get a good picture of it, but I'll send what I can get on my cell phone.

It's a "marbled" brown mat with some dark reddish-brown mixed in--I don't know why the picture makes the marbling look greenish, it isn't. The frame is carved with leaves, which are hard to see. It looks wonderful. Maybe I can get a better picture over Christmas when one of my kids gets here!

Obviously it's not on the wall, yet!

I can't seem to type under the pictures, so there's one of the frame corner, and then one of some detail of the frame in an attempt to show the leaves...darn this camera phone! It looks a lot better than this picture. The leaves are brown with an antiqued background.

Anyway, I love it!

a,s,

"an seileachan"

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.
~~~Landrum Bolling

Patty
Immortal

Dec 13 2007, 2:09am

Post #168 of 195 (5423 views)
Shortcut
Oh, the close-up of your frame is beautiful... [In reply to] Can't Post

great job, a.s.!

For Gondor!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 13 2007, 7:08am

Post #169 of 195 (5398 views)
Shortcut
Aha! Thanks. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2007, 3:19pm

Post #170 of 195 (5412 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the frame. I was tempted by a similar one, but it wasn't nearly as delicate and would have overwhelmed the print.

What fun to see everyone's framed maps!

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2007, 7:26pm

Post #171 of 195 (5462 views)
Shortcut
Map is home [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I don't know how to insert the picture in the post and no matter what I do it ends up too big for an avatar so I just attached it and a close up of the frame.

Sev's home away from home: http://burpingtroll.com

Finally made it to Rivendell!!!!!!!!!

http://www.freerice.com
Attachments: map resize.jpg (83.8 KB)
  frame web.jpg (63.1 KB)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2007, 8:08pm

Post #172 of 195 (5392 views)
Shortcut
Very nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That frame is beautiful.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2007, 4:30am

Post #173 of 195 (5415 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to more pictures from everyone who's getting their print framed for Christmas.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Morwen
Rohan

Dec 17 2007, 2:14am

Post #174 of 195 (5389 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It's wonderful what a variety of colors, shapes and styles of frames look perfect with our Map!

I told myself that the map was my birthday present to myself, and the frame was my Christmas present. It worked out perfectly.

"It is required of every man," the ghost returned, "that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide; and, if that spirit goes not forth in life, it is condemned to do so after death."

Patty
Immortal

Dec 17 2007, 2:40am

Post #175 of 195 (5417 views)
Shortcut
Another absolutely beautiful frame. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great job, sevilodorf!

For Gondor!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.