Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Recommended Middle English and Anglo-Saxon grammars?

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 11:08am

Post #1 of 6 (177 views)
Shortcut
Recommended Middle English and Anglo-Saxon grammars? Can't Post

I've been wanting to learn more about Old and Middle English for some time, but I'm not sure which grammars are the best and most accurate. Would someone please give me a recommendation?
Thanks in advance.Smile

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 12:22pm

Post #2 of 6 (108 views)
Shortcut
hi -- haven't surveyed enough of them to give a recommendation [In reply to] Can't Post

...but in my personal library, i have a copy of "old english and its closest relatives" (orrin w. robinson).

i cannot remember if this was a textbook (i studied linguistics, and was accepted into a phd program, but i didn't wind up going), or if this was something i just picked up myself.

i +love+ linguistics, btw. government + binding theory = fun (for me).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 26 2013, 6:23am

Post #3 of 6 (73 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Maciliel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will make a note of the book. It seems its reviews are quite positive and that it is well-received.

I enjoy language in all its forms.

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 11:25am

Post #4 of 6 (81 views)
Shortcut
you are most welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

enjoy!

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 10:41am

Post #5 of 6 (61 views)
Shortcut
For Old English (i.e. Anglo-Saxon) [In reply to] Can't Post

a good starting point is Bruce Mitchell, An Invitation to Old English and Anglo-Saxon England. It is a kind introduction which gently guides you into Old English grammar and tries to get you reading and enjoying it quickly (rather than asking you to memorise several dozen paradigms before you even see a single sentence). If, however, you like paradigms, try Quirk and Wrenn, Old English Grammar. For Middle English, frankly, find a student's edition of Chaucer (i.e. one with notes for the beginner) and start reading.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 7 2013, 11:00am

Post #6 of 6 (71 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it. I have An Old English Grammar by E.E. Wardale, but I find it difficult to understand.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.