Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Will there be another marathon?

mx6789

Mar 23 2013, 3:41am

Post #1 of 10 (241 views)
Shortcut
Will there be another marathon? Can't Post

Last year on December 8th, many theaters showed a marathon screening of the extended edition films. Do you think it'll happen again later this year coinciding with the release of DoS? (I sure hope so!)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 4:20am

Post #2 of 10 (132 views)
Shortcut
i sincerely hope so -- but -- [In reply to] Can't Post

i sincerely hope so, but i sincerely hope they show each (extended) film over three, successive weeks.

i did the marathon. perhaps in one's home, it would be different, but i found it rather physically taxing. it was thrilling to see the EEs on the big screen, 'tho (second time for me; the TEs don't really exist for me anymore).

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 4:33am

Post #3 of 10 (135 views)
Shortcut
It'd be nice, [In reply to] Can't Post

since i missed the last one (and have actually never seen one). I'd also like to see AUJ again in the theater before DoS opens.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 23 2013, 8:58am

Post #4 of 10 (113 views)
Shortcut
I hope more cinemas do it in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

For AUJ, there was only one marathon in London. It would be great if all major cities did one.

It might be worth emailing your local theatre, if your interested.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 23 2013, 9:04am

Post #5 of 10 (126 views)
Shortcut
I hope so, [In reply to] Can't Post

I did it last year with my 3 kids and it was a blast. The theater wasn't packed and everybody that attended was very, very nice. We had about 1hour and a half between movies, so we went out of the theater to have lunch at a restaurant during the first break and to have some ice cream during the second break. That gave us a nice chance to stretch our legs and move around a bit. I would hope to do it again.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 11:14am

Post #6 of 10 (106 views)
Shortcut
+yes+ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
since i missed the last one (and have actually never seen one). I'd also like to see AUJ again in the theater before DoS opens.

+yes+ to this ^.

the thing i've been comforting myself with, re th:auj's diminishment from theaters, is that it's possible that it may spend some time in the halls of mandos, and be reborn in theaters again this december.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 11:21am

Post #7 of 10 (122 views)
Shortcut
wow, nice long break [In reply to] Can't Post

I did it last year with my 3 kids and it was a blast. The theater wasn't packed and everybody that attended was very, very nice. We had about 1hour and a half between movies, so we went out of the theater to have lunch at a restaurant during the first break and to have some ice cream during the second break. That gave us a nice chance to stretch our legs and move around a bit. I would hope to do it again.

wow, nice long entr'acte. the gap in films for my showing was 20 minutes. it was also in one of those new "dinner theaters," so folks did not have to wait for the films to end to get a bite. i must confess, i did not much like the wait staff going up and down the aisles during the movies ('tho it wasn't horrible). i definitely did +not+ like being asked to pay my check during the charge of the rohirrim (not only a climactic scene, but one of the most personally moving for me).

re dinner.. i did not pack enough lembas to last the entire trilogy, but i purposely brought along a small bundle of apples, sausage, and bread, so that i could be dining on similar items as the hobbits were making their way out of the shire. it was like camping out with them.

but, the important part is that they show the EE trilogy again in theaters (near me as well, please). i hope manwe is listening.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Mar 23 2013, 11:23am)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 23 2013, 2:43pm

Post #8 of 10 (101 views)
Shortcut
Love the idea of eating the same food as the Hobbits! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the Rohirrim charge, I would hate to be interrupted by the wait staff. As you can see by my screen name, I love all that relates to Rohan. But in the end the main thing is that they show it again.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 3:01pm

Post #9 of 10 (102 views)
Shortcut
absolutely, and agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

"But in the end the main thing is that they show it again. "

absolutely, and agreed!

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

sevilodorf
Gondor

Mar 23 2013, 4:47pm

Post #10 of 10 (135 views)
Shortcut
local theater here did one in summer and one in December [In reply to] Can't Post

The summer one was one movie per week for three weeks. Those were well attended. The all day marathon drew only about thirty die hard fans though there were a few that came in for one movie then left (those might simply have been theater jumpers), so I doubt it the local will do an all day marathon again.

However..... if someone did it and actually announced it ahead of time and did a bit of promotion locally it would draw more interest. Also there was no attempt by the theater to engage the audience between films and basically they looked at the group who asked about it as if they were crazed. Sigh.... just not much of a Middle Earth crowd in the area.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.