Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The One Ring and split personalities

CaptainFaramir13
The Shire

Mar 23 2013, 7:34am

Views: 344
Shortcut
The One Ring and split personalities Can't Post

I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I could not seem to find anything, also I think this is in the right place, sorry if it is not.

I was thinking about Gollum today, and I thought of something that I had never thought of before. It seems that the whole Gollum persona of Sméagol’s personality is there because of the Ring. Does the Ring create a new personality in people? Perhaps this is a part of its corruption process, that it takes the darkness within you and strengthens it until it develops into a personality of its own, a personality completely dependent on the Ring. So could anyone who has the Ring long enough develop the secondary personality like Gollum/Sméagol? Are there any signs of a secondary personality developing, due to the Ring, in other characters?

If so, would the Ring-generated personality be the same as the Gollum personality, or would it be different depending on the person? I would think it would be different as the Ring tempts different people with different things. It would seem that if you had the Ring long enough, the personality it develops remains even in the Ring’s absence, as the Gollum persona is still there even though he no longer has the Ring. I thought this would make an interesting first topic, so what do you guys think? Does the Ring create a new personality in others, or is Gollum unique is this regard?

Subject User Time
The One Ring and split personalities CaptainFaramir13 Send a private message to CaptainFaramir13 Mar 23 2013, 7:34am
    Too few samples! Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 23 2013, 7:50am
    funny you should post on this... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 23 2013, 11:32am
        Yes, Smeagol was no innocent Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 23 2013, 9:36pm
            by the way Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 23 2013, 9:47pm
                Good example of how scary Gollum really is Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24 2013, 12:21am
                Agree, creepiest part of Tolkiens writing ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Mar 24 2013, 9:56am
                    And siege of Minas Tirith--heads catapulted into the city. CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 24 2013, 5:03pm
            i wonder if the ring had second thoughts Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 23 2013, 9:48pm
    Gollum and mental health CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 24 2013, 3:52am
        just to say.... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 24 2013, 4:10am
        Precious... Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Mar 24 2013, 10:48pm
        Mental Health and Addiction RustyF Send a private message to RustyF Mar 28 2013, 9:24pm
    Some interesting responses! CaptainFaramir13 Send a private message to CaptainFaramir13 Apr 8 2013, 1:09pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.