Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What did you think of Richard Armitages acting in The Hobbit.?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 7:29am

Post #1 of 126 (2642 views)
Shortcut
What did you think of Richard Armitages acting in The Hobbit.? Can't Post

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Mar 23 2013, 7:39am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 9:07am

Post #2 of 126 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 23 2013, 9:07am

Post #3 of 126 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Loved it, [In reply to] Can't Post

he brought so much depth to the character! In actuality, I like movie Thorin a whole lot more then book Thorin.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 23 2013, 9:21am

Post #4 of 126 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Trick question? [In reply to] Can't Post

He was brilliant. The biggest surprise of the film for me. All of the Dwarves were great in their own ways. PJ and his team really hit it out of the park. Lesser directors would have cut their number down, or not bothered with making them so distinct.

Armitage's vocal work bears special mention. It's always startling when he raises his voice. "WAIT!" That one actually made me jump a little. He silenced a large cavern filled with chattering Goblins, too. Not bad for a half pint with no Maiar powers. Smile I know there may be some re-recording wizardry going on in some cases, but I think he did a great job overall with the voice.

There's no party like a Dwaven party. Believe it.

demnation
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 9:32am

Post #5 of 126 (1293 views)
Shortcut
He was.....ok [In reply to] Can't Post

A little to dour for my taste, but I like that they are shoring up certain aspects of his personality (i.e. his pride) which will hopefully pay off later. After all, Thorin's good character moments come in the latter half of the story. If Armitage can do those (and I believe he can) then I see some awards in his futureSmile

I also appreciate his enthusiasm for the material, and I think it shows in his performance.

Use Well the Days

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 23 2013, 9:44am

Post #6 of 126 (1271 views)
Shortcut
He balances out the other Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

with his dour nature. I view them as one unit, and Thorin is basically serious on everyone's behalf. There's something very Byronic about Armitage's performance. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but it is there.

ThorinIIIStonehelm
The Shire

Mar 23 2013, 10:55am

Post #7 of 126 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Extremely strong acting the whole way through. A great portrayal of Thorin IMO.
Smile

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 23 2013, 11:30am

Post #8 of 126 (1233 views)
Shortcut
I just finished [In reply to] Can't Post

watching it & I think he was brilliant. So glad they picked him to be Thorin!

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 11:59am

Post #9 of 126 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic... [In reply to] Can't Post

He was the biggest surprise of the film for me. I never liked book Thorin, and I didn't see how I could ever like him in the movie...but they did make him very likable. I think the biggest improvement is that they gave him a backstory, they gave him a depth that was not there at all in the book. Instead of begin this blustery, arrogant old man, he became a sympathetic character. You can feel the weight of this journey on his shoulders, and most of all, in his eyes. The story he conveys with just his eyes is amazing, and not easy for an actor to do. He may not be old, but his expression is very old.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 12:36pm

Post #10 of 126 (1499 views)
Shortcut
+brilliant+ [In reply to] Can't Post

as brilliant as the arkenstone.

he added depth, pathos, and stormy vibrancy to a thin (comparatively) book character.

when i see him at bag end, starting on this quest, it's incredibly sad to know that it will end in his death, yet his performance is so captivating and complex, i lose sight of that eventuality.

the entire, ensemble cast makes the most of every moment, whether they are the camera's focus or no, and armitage is no different. his tone for thorin is varied. it would be so easy for someone with lesser skills to constantly stay in "bluster" mode, but he makes thorin speak as much with his silences, as with his spoken words.

honestly, the first few times i saw it, i thought the film might just as easily be called, "the dwarf: an unexpected journey."

one of the neat tricks that th:auj pulls off is the balaning act between its two leads, thorin and bilbo. it's bilbo's story, but it's also thorin's, and sometimes thorin's narrative dominates.

it's a credit to the truly impressive work of both freeman and armitage in this film that the two characters, bilbo and thorin, pass the focus back and forth between each other so easily. sometimes bilbo seems to be the supporting character in thorin's story, sometimes thorin appears to be the supporting character in bilbo's. a really neat trick. well done, both.

th:auj really won the casting lottery when it managed to snag both of these actors for these particular roles.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2013, 12:48pm

Post #11 of 126 (1097 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's character as presented by the film, and as performed by Armitage, was my favorite thing about AUJ. (And, I liked AUJ, so it was my favorite thing among many, many others). There was attention to detail in showing us what Thorin is like through his interactions with other characters (his early, Bag End reactions to Bilbo, his conversation in Bag End with Balin, his interactions with Gandalf, especially his grudging acceptance of the need to deal with Elrond, his reaction to Bilbo's speech upon Bilbo's return after the Goblin adventure, for some examples) and Armitage portrayed Thorin in those scenes in a way that by the climax of the movie, made me care very much what would happen to him. (Which is different from my reaction to the book, in which his ultimate fate was affecting for me only to the degree that Bilbo cared about it).

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 23 2013, 12:54pm

Post #12 of 126 (1117 views)
Shortcut
the anchor [In reply to] Can't Post

"honestly, the first few times i saw it, i thought the film might just as easily be called, "the dwarf: an unexpected journey."

Laugh Laugh Yeah. I think that's the first impression because Freeman does such a good job with his (comparatively) understated performance. But I know he's doing his job because every time I imagine myself in the film, I find myself looking at everything from his perspective. He's our anchor from start to finish, and that is as it should be.... and indeed will be at the end of the trilogy.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 1:03pm

Post #13 of 126 (1197 views)
Shortcut
He was ok i guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

He wasn't bad, but he wasn't great, either. I thought it was a bit of a one note performance, though i'm sure that will change in the next two films. Nothing really leapt out at me about his Thorin. I get that Thorin's a dour, humorless, noble dwarf, but i didn't think Armitage brought much spark to it. And i thought his turn at the end was a bit overdone. But i did like the dwarves overall (one of my favorite things about the film, actually), and like i said, i think things will improve for the character's story in the next two films, and it'll be a bit more dynamic, so i think he'll be fine.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 23 2013, 1:04pm

Post #14 of 126 (1160 views)
Shortcut
pretty one note [In reply to] Can't Post

grumpy.
Thorin should have had much more going on than just grumpy. The actor has expressive eyes and I really like Armitage he has gravitas, but he didnt actually do much more than stand around looking magnificent and broody. Nothing wrong with that, but Thorin was a more complex character I think.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 1:06pm

Post #15 of 126 (1079 views)
Shortcut
yes, i love freeman's performance as much as armitage's [In reply to] Can't Post

... understated, excessively thoughtful, but never slipping into mechanical, self-awareness. his entire body is his instrument -- gestures, open-mouthed astonishment (in the background, as dwalin and balin butt heads in greeting at bag end), and the rippling of emotion over his face. one of my favorite moments is when gollum proposes the riddle game deal ("if baggins loses, we eats it whole") and bilbo's non-verbal reaction, before he agrees. wow.

and none of it seems forced or over-constructed. it flows naturally.

to paraphrase another poster, i could watch freeman do bilbo all the live-long day. subtle, utterly believable.

as is armitage's thorin, but in a slightly different way.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 1:19pm

Post #16 of 126 (1054 views)
Shortcut
I'll second that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman is perfect as Bilbo. So smart and funny, but always so reticent. I love all his stammers and pauses and stiff gestures. I was sure that he was going to be good, but he exceeded my expectations. For me, he rocketed right up there to stand alongside Ian McKellen, Andy Sirkis and Cate Blanchett-- all actors who made those roles theirs completely.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 23 2013, 1:20pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 1:30pm

Post #17 of 126 (1087 views)
Shortcut
I loved Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought he was great. The Thorin in the book to me was fairly one dimensional. I really liked RA's portrayal here. Thorin came across as a flawed dwarf, definitely after revenge (which I like as a story), dismissive of Bilbo for most of the film which fit also. RA's delivering of the line "There's no choice Balin, not for me" was just super. I felt like Armitage added feeling and pathos to the character and I think we're going to see even more of that in the next two films. He is definitely a more understated actor, but I love how he does bring out the emotion when called for. The great thing about RA is is ability to convey emotion with his eyes and facial expressions. I really like that. The scene where Bilbo explains why he did come back after Goblin Town is an example of that. A simple downward look and very very miniscule nod of the head, almost unnoticeable. That fit the bill and just makes it for me. Terrific job.

Freeman similarly with Bilbo does the same thing. Two great choices for actors in these rolls. I couldn't be happier with both.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 1:41pm

Post #18 of 126 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Yes, i will say that, [In reply to] Can't Post

even though i may not have loved Armitage's Thorin, he is definitely a great deal better than the Thorin in the book. So i'm very glad they went in the direction with him that they did.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 1:59pm

Post #19 of 126 (1013 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

The Thorin in the book was okay for what it was. I do not think it would have translated to screen well had it been a literal translation. They needed to make him more sympathetic to the viewer so that in the end, the payoff will be more satisfying and will hold viewers for the duration of the films.

Now Freeman's Bilbo, he is the quintessential Bilbo and to me the perfect Baggins. The hand movements, gestures, little facial expressions (for which Freeman is famous) just really make the role.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

emre43
Lorien

Mar 23 2013, 2:19pm

Post #20 of 126 (1088 views)
Shortcut
I thought he was brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

Person who said he just stood around looking broody. I despair sometimes and I can't be bothered to correct how wrong they are in so many ways.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 2:32pm

Post #21 of 126 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Yes, book Thorin fit well in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

because it's a fable. And it works perfectly. But for what Jackson and co. were doing with their Hobbit (making it fall in line with their already established Middle-earth), that Thorin simply would not have worked, obviously. And as a devoted Lord of the Rings (book) fan who likes the story, history and mythology in The Hobbit much more than the actual literary work, i love what they're doing with their version. In fact, it would have been fine with me if they'd gone even further in that direction-- some of AUJ was a tad too whimsical for my tastes. But when it comes to Middle-earth, i'll take what i can get.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 3:16pm

Post #22 of 126 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Knew he would nail it [In reply to] Can't Post

Just did not know how wonderfully he would nail it.

I quite like the character arc here and feel that Richard's performance can only go up from here.

Fabulous.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 3:27pm

Post #23 of 126 (977 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on RA (and MF!) [In reply to] Can't Post

And how they sort of dual-carry the roles, complementing each perfectly. I have always been a huge fan of the SPJ casting technique, and I think the not only casts for role but for temperament and team spirit. It shows! And I look forward to more EE looks at the cast working, like we have in the LOTR ee's,

RA's performance is a surprise and a pleasure in every way!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 3:36pm

Post #24 of 126 (998 views)
Shortcut
I too was happily surprised! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He was the biggest surprise of the film for me. I never liked book Thorin, and I didn't see how I could ever like him in the movie...but they did make him very likable. I think the biggest improvement is that they gave him a backstory, they gave him a depth that was not there at all in the book. Instead of begin this blustery, arrogant old man, he became a sympathetic character. You can feel the weight of this journey on his shoulders, and most of all, in his eyes. The story he conveys with just his eyes is amazing, and not easy for an actor to do. He may not be old, but his expression is very old.

I agree on the "age" in the eyes, and that marvelous voice he found for Thorin. I think that's why the lack of long white beard doesn't bother me - the weight and wisdom are there in those other ways. But he still has the temper, and the stubbornness of canon Thorin. Perfect mix. And I think he needed to have the physicality for the role, and not look aged and bowed, which would have seemed incongruous I think, in such a highly adventurous tale.
I think his sheer attractiveness is something some people are troubled by; but there is so much more to the character than a fair appearance, and RA brings it all.

A+++ Heart

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 3:42pm

Post #25 of 126 (949 views)
Shortcut
True - and as for the whimsey [In reply to] Can't Post

it will continue to diminish as we progress. I think this trilogy will be a very classic Tolkien progression of lightness to dark, with the sliver of bittersweet joy in the end (that emotional slice of lime sprinkled with sugar, LOL!). I think each film will have a "vibe" of its own, this one by far the lightest and most whimsical. As we have posted about before, I can hardly imagine what the amazing cast, particularly RA and MF, have in store for us.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.