Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Do you hope for Beorn in the sneek peak on Sunday?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 4:01pm

Post #26 of 41 (344 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant to write "But of course that could change" at the end but forgot. With PJ, things can change at almost any point.

And since you mentioned wargs, i have to say i would have preferred the scroll design-- don't care for the AUJ wargs at all, and actually prefer the Two Towers wargs.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 23 2013, 4:04pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 4:19pm

Post #27 of 41 (349 views)
Shortcut
Hmm I'm really not sure if i want to see him or not [In reply to] Can't Post

On one hand i don't as we have waited so long without seeing anything of him and i like to be surprised in the cinema, just like i am looking forward to seeing Smaug.

On the other hand i wanna see him and basically everything other than Smaug, lol!

i would quite like to see some shots from when the dwarves are in Mirkwood - always create very strong images that part of the book - so far all we have seen really is a few shots of them filming on Mirkwood sets. Maybe a little more with Thranduil?

The Mitch King
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 4:46pm

Post #28 of 41 (359 views)
Shortcut
Sneak peek [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see Beorn BUT I REALLY WANT TO SEE SOME BOLG!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 23 2013, 4:57pm

Post #29 of 41 (324 views)
Shortcut
I thought that's what you meant ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

And agreed about the warg design. I was particularly impressed by them in AUJ.

(Here is the scroll, ByThorinsBeard)

Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 6:21pm

Post #30 of 41 (311 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

The Wargs didn't work for me in TTT, nor in AUJ either. In fact I thought Azog worked better than the Wargs.

In Reply To
And agreed about the warg design. I was particularly impressed by them in AUJ.

(Here is the scroll, ByThorinsBeard)

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 23 2013, 6:55pm

Post #31 of 41 (305 views)
Shortcut
The design was ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

If the CGI had been better. The CGI wasn't any better than the wargs in TTT, so I'm not sure I understand the change. The went from one naff design, to another naff design. I know they spend a lot more time on Gollum and Smaug, but they must have really rushed the wargs for the CGI to be bad. Unsure

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 6:59pm

Post #32 of 41 (313 views)
Shortcut
The Wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure whether it was the CGI that was at fault. I just didn't like the design of the beasties. It's possibly more a matter of personal preference rather than anything else.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 7:25pm

Post #33 of 41 (294 views)
Shortcut
Both. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought both the design *and* execution in AUJ were bungled, and thought that TTT did a better job in both departments-- the cgi looked more convincing more often, and the hyena design at least looked liked it could be a creature that actually exists (that's probably just me though-- i know i'm one of the few here that actually likes the LotR wargs).

The whole Azog sub-plot was very, very disappointing, for many reasons.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 8:31pm

Post #34 of 41 (278 views)
Shortcut
I agree with both of these [In reply to] Can't Post

was disappointed with the AUJ CGI renders of the Wargs and the orcs. I was surprised at the shift in quality with certain CGI characters - rushed is the first thought that comes to mind.

Azog, I did not like that twist, but I understand the reason behind it, so I am just rolling with it.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 9:21pm

Post #35 of 41 (272 views)
Shortcut
Warg design in LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked their design in LOTR, too. But, I think their execution in TTT is a little dodgy. It's not that their CGI looks bad or fake, it's just that they look like they've been pasted in. I hope that makes sense.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manwë; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 23 2013, 9:30pm

Post #36 of 41 (262 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really liked their design in LOTR, too. But, I think their execution in TTT is a little dodgy. It's not that their CGI looks bad or fake, it's just that they look like they've been pasted in. I hope that makes sense.

They just seem to be over the actual film, rather than in the film, compared to Gollum and the Trolls.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 10:36pm

Post #37 of 41 (251 views)
Shortcut
Wait [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you talking about in LOTR or AUJ? I don't remember how they look in AUJ.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manwë; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 11:13pm

Post #38 of 41 (236 views)
Shortcut
Oh, i agree, [In reply to] Can't Post

some of the warg cgi in TTT *is* dodgy, but there are a couple of shots where it looks great, especially that first shot with them coming over that ridge, and a couple of other shots of them running amongst the horses. In AUJ, i never thought the warg cgi looked all that great. Maybe a couple of shots toward the end of the bunny sled chase, as the company's going down the secret pass, when they're waaay off in the distance, they look alright. But with AUJ being 10 years after TTT, i'm really surprised that the wargs don't really look any better. Part of it is their design, i think-- they just look more cartoony to me, whereas the design of the TT wargs looked much more realistic.

It's really just the wargs (and Azog)-- everything else for the most part looks fantastic.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 24 2013, 9:52am

Post #39 of 41 (203 views)
Shortcut
That comment was about AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

But it could also be applied to TTT (though I did prefer them in TTT).

(Sorry to be confusing!)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 5:33pm

Post #40 of 41 (184 views)
Shortcut
I also like the AUJ warg design [In reply to] Can't Post

But from what I remember, the CGI was incredibly dodgy. The concept art that we saw before the film was released looked fantastic to me. I think that made their appearances in the film all the more frustrating.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 5:37pm

Post #41 of 41 (217 views)
Shortcut
Way to be confusing, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do agree. The wargs have always been a disappointment in some fashion.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.