Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ was meant to be seen on Blu-Ray...Not in the cinema
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 3:13am

Post #1 of 56 (2228 views)
Shortcut
AUJ was meant to be seen on Blu-Ray...Not in the cinema Can't Post

This will likely be controversial.

Quality differs dramatically nowadays between cinemas, T.V.'s, DVD's, and Blu-Rays. Depending on the combinations of technology an individual has at their disposal, any film is bound to look different to each individual person. Not to mention the fact that no one can possibly know how the world is perceived through the eyes of another person in general.

I'll get to the point though. I've never seen a film in the cinema that can compare to modern home viewing. Sadly, this is the reason Cinema is sort of a dying art at the moment. But I digress. Having just purchased AUJ on Blu Ray, I am far more impressed with the over all look of the film than I was in theaters. Though I am still at odds with the visual aesthetic of the film, I can at least appreciate it more at home. I am also assuming PJ viewed most of The Hobbit footage on monitors, or large high quality televisions. This probably explains at least some of the backlash to the films shooting style.

Whatever the case may be, I find myself enjoying the film much more on Blu-Ray than in theaters, or torrents. Honestly, I had the DVD screener and the Blu Ray rip the day they were on torrent sites. I've paid my dues though. Seen the film 3 times in theaters, and bought the Blu Ray.

In short, really loving the Blu-Ray quality.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 3:27am

Post #2 of 56 (1129 views)
Shortcut
I have to say [In reply to] Can't Post

IMAX notwithstanding (I really liked the IMAX the absolute best largely because if the sound) I also have found the B Ray at home the best. The theatres in my town have pretty crappy sound, especially the non IMAX format ones. Also I have to say the Blu Ray image is very very sharp and crisp. I don't disagree with you here on that.

Interesting take you make on PJ watching it on monitors. You may be on to something there. I never thought of that. I will say HFR did not bother me as it did some. I thought it was fine and I actually liked it. However, the Blu Ray disc viewing I am really liking even more at this point.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 3:33am

Post #3 of 56 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Not controversial [In reply to] Can't Post

at least I don't think so. It's a given that a movie's ultimate destination is home viewing... which accounts for a huge chunk of the revenue it generates. It would make sense for this to figure into the choices they make when making the movie.

When HFR was announced, it occurred to me (though I don't remember posting about it) that the choice to push the boundaries of the format was driven by a desire for this thing to look good when broadcast, when obtained via digital download, and even on handheld devices. It stands to reason that the higher the resolution and density of the original, the better it will look flipped to sundry formats in use these days.

I liked it best so far on plain old everyday satellite PVR.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 22 2013, 3:34am)

Spaldron
Rivendell

Mar 22 2013, 3:38am

Post #4 of 56 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Not for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the film 5 times in the cinema and so far twice on blu-ray at home. So far my home experience compares nothing to seeing it on the big screen, especially in IMAX which is the best format I saw AUJ in. A home cinema kit can't match up to a 40ft screen with booming Dolby Tru or DTS.

Sorry but IMO The Hobbit was better in cinema, just as LOTR was back when I saw the trilogy ten years ago.

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 22 2013, 10:11am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2013, 4:01am

Post #5 of 56 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Movies are meant to be seen in the Cinema. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I will not yield on this one. Tongue

...and if Cinema is a dying art, I will go all Aragorn-at-the-Black-Gates to defend it. Mark my words.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 22 2013, 4:01am)

Jeremy
Rivendell

Mar 22 2013, 4:07am

Post #6 of 56 (952 views)
Shortcut
But HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked it in the theater better because it looked much better at 48fps

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 4:14am

Post #7 of 56 (934 views)
Shortcut
I do agree [In reply to] Can't Post

IMAX was absolutely the best and I think this film totally was made for IMAX picture and sound. That was my experience as well. I do like the Blu Ray disc at home though. I still love the cinema experience. I saw TH 9 times in cinema and enjoyed it everytime. I do like the BR disc at home though and to me it's better than the regular cinema format (24fps) in quality.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruwestial37
Lorien

Mar 22 2013, 4:52am

Post #8 of 56 (925 views)
Shortcut
You have my bow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I heartily agree. My first two viewings were at an Ultra Screen-three stories tall, 3D, whatever the best sounding stereo is, 48fps. While I just enjoyed my Blu Ray viewing and found it excellent, nothing compares with going to the movies to me. A midnight showing is best, with die hard fans the place is electric.
Cannot wait for the EE, but DoS and TABA midnight showings will be really anticipated.*

*This has nothing whatsoever to do with Legolas appearing in them. Oh no, not for me.Evil

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 5:13am

Post #9 of 56 (870 views)
Shortcut
I love 'em both. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love going to the theater to see movies. I love the big screen and the crowd and drinking soda and eating candy and popcorn. I saw AUJ 3 times in the cinema and had a blast each and every time. But i equally love watching at home on blu-ray, on my nice TV and sound system. I love pausing, or watching sequences in slow-mo to catch every little detail. And i love watching all the documentaries. So while i love everything about the theater-going experience, it's not 'til i have it at home, and watch it over and over, that i really get to know it. So i really need both experiences.

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 5:18am

Post #10 of 56 (887 views)
Shortcut
And MY axe!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, for me there's nothing like watching movies I love on the big screen. And even though I have the Blu-ray version and yes it's nice, I miss being drawn into the movie (I watched it mostly in 3D HFR), and with my little television screen I don't see all the wonderful things going on in the background. If it were still playing in the theaters here, I'd still be going to see it!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 5:56am

Post #11 of 56 (843 views)
Shortcut
No arguments there... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps the title of the thread was a bit mis-leading.

I just think AUJ looks better on my flat screen, on Blu Ray than it does in the theaters. But I see every film I can in theaters! Nothing beats that expirience. Makes me wish I had a huge 60" T.V. at home.

syameese
Bree

Mar 22 2013, 6:19am

Post #12 of 56 (881 views)
Shortcut
Blu-Ray definitely better than my local cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in 2D and 3D 24fps at my local cinema and the Blu-Ray is way better. The 48fps screening I did see was spectacular, but for me the Blu-Ray at home is a very acceptable alternative.

Big thumbs up from Amazon USA - posted on 18 March and being watched on the afternoon of 22 March in Australia.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2013, 8:38am

Post #13 of 56 (805 views)
Shortcut
You bring up a good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas.

And this brings me to a bit of an existential crisis: Legolas and Thorin, together, at the same time, simultaneously, and so on. Legolas apparently giving a bit of attitude to Thorin (from what I read somewhere, some time ago), and Thorin likely showing off his cantankerous stubborness in all its glory. Now, my loyalties switched, hard and fast, in AUJ, but that wasn't much of an issue with Legolas not in the movie. But in DOS? And TABA? And not just both of them in both movies, but them actually on screen at the same time, simmering with attitude. Gah! The perfect recipe for Ro's Most Delicious Existential Crisis (don't forget the chocolate).

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 8:43am

Post #14 of 56 (784 views)
Shortcut
I have to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

The BluRay (when it finally ships in Germany... sigh) will be the first time I can actually compare the look (not art design, but the picture look) of LotR and AUJ. The DVD and BluRay look is simply the only way I saw those movies for almost ten years... I have no idea whether there was a significant difference for me between theater and home back then. So the TV look (or actually, Laptop look since I only watch the movies on the TV when I watch them with friends) has become the LotR look to me... if that makes sense.

So it was already kind of weird to see Middle-earth in cinema again - not even talking about the difference in resolution etc.

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 10:40am

Post #15 of 56 (748 views)
Shortcut
Kind of the Opposite for me [In reply to] Can't Post

When I see a film in theaters, I am so drawn into the story that the visuals are totally secondary for me. However, when I can watch the same film I've already seen multiple times in the cinema at home, I notice all the little details.

I can sit close to my 42" and examine the Blu-Ray in all it's glory. It gives me a freedom I don't get in the theater. I can also indulge in some Old Toby. Not gonna lie, Blu-Ray at home with a little smoke is a wonderful thing. Especially when I can watch the good morning scene and puff on my pipe that looks exactly like Bilbos!

Sly Saruman would not approve.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 11:08am

Post #16 of 56 (722 views)
Shortcut
Interesting that your experiences differ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When I see a film in theaters, I am so drawn into the story that the visuals are totally secondary for me. However, when I can watch the same film I've already seen multiple times in the cinema at home, I notice all the little details.

I can sit close to my 42" and examine the Blu-Ray in all it's glory.

Mine generally do as well. I did notice tons of details in AUJ ....but after 16 theater views!! No other films get me to the theater that many times except this franchise. So I agree in general, and that would be my experience as well, that when you get a film home you are at your own pace and leisure to analyze. One like AUJ in particular, with so many charactars on screen and minute details of what they are all doing, bit different than a film with only two or threee that you are paying attention to. 42" -nice!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 12:46pm

Post #17 of 56 (719 views)
Shortcut
I hate to say it [In reply to] Can't Post

but if you have the proper set up, you are absolutely right.
I was completely blown away by AUJ in 3D on my 65" plasma. I have never seen 3D so good (arguably Avatar in the theater). And the sound....
Every time I watched AUJ in the theater they totally botched the sound...either speakers were off completely or the music was way too quiet...
But AUJ on Blu-ray is INCREDIBLE

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 12:52pm

Post #18 of 56 (678 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was too quiet too Lindele! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but if you have the proper set up, you are absolutely right.
I was completely blown away by AUJ in 3D on my 65" plasma. I have never seen 3D so good (arguably Avatar in the theater). And the sound....
Every time I watched AUJ in the theater they totally botched the sound...either speakers were off completely or the music was way too quiet...
But AUJ on Blu-ray is INCREDIBLE

Especially during music, and Blunt the Knives! Just didn't seem like the theaters had it quite loud enough. Love having the volume control at home.
(or maybe we AUJ fans are all just a bit more boisterous than the average movie goer...!)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 22 2013, 12:53pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 12:56pm

Post #19 of 56 (673 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what [In reply to] Can't Post

the deal was with that...literally every time I saw it in the theater the music seemed so distant and I had to strain to hear it (especially my very first viewing)...
but when I watched the prologue at home last night, the balance between Bilbo's narration and the music was perfect. Couldn't be happier about the Blu-ray

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 1:48pm

Post #20 of 56 (641 views)
Shortcut
Cinema Sound [In reply to] Can't Post

The only sound that did the film justice was in the IMAX. It was absolutely outstanding in IMAX. The rest of them were really bad. We set up 4 speakers and a bass run through our receiver to the TV and when I turn up AUJ it's awesome.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 1:52pm

Post #21 of 56 (635 views)
Shortcut
That sound like a sweet setup! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The only sound that did the film justice was in the IMAX. It was absolutely outstanding in IMAX. The rest of them were really bad. We set up 4 speakers and a bass run through our receiver to the TV and when I turn up AUJ it's awesome.

High Five! That sounds GREAT! I might plug in my two auxiliary speakers based on that idea....! (Drive my poor spouse even more insane....but my son will love it!)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 1:56pm

Post #22 of 56 (623 views)
Shortcut
Yes, finding myself agreeing with Itarkey's idea [In reply to] Can't Post

The BluRay experience has been a joy all around!

Looking forward to Smaug on the big screen though, I must say.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 2:03pm

Post #23 of 56 (625 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched the DVD screener, which was ok quality, but after getting the Blu-ray, it is MUCH better in quality than when I saw it in theaters and definitely watching the screener. The CGI looks much better, and refined. Azog actually looks really good (I thought he did, anyway). You can make out more of his face and body movements, and he looks less plasticesque. Definitely see it on Blu-ray or DVD to get the best quality (IMO).

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 22 2013, 2:18pm

Post #24 of 56 (641 views)
Shortcut
The DVD screener was amazing on my parents smart TV [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no motion blur at all. It was like watching it in 48fps, in 2D. It really was that good.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 2:31pm

Post #25 of 56 (593 views)
Shortcut
It's totally awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

I encourage you to do it if you can. It's a great way to listen to movies. Movies with action like The Hobbit, or Avengers or any of those really are superior if you have some kind of home theatre sound. We didn't set it up professionally just did it ourselves. We have two older Infinity speakers and sub woofer plus two Vandersteens. It's great.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.