Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"This key was given to me by your father". And a few other issues.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Mar 22 2013, 12:40am

Views: 1429
Shortcut
"This key was given to me by your father". And a few other issues. Can't Post

Watched the Blu a few times now. I have a few questions.

Gandalf presents the key to Thorin at the dinner table and tells him he got it from Thrain. Thorin just looks in awe of the key and says nothing. Later when Balin is recounting the tale of the Battle of Moria he explains that Thrain went mad and disappeared or was taken, no one knows. So why didn't anyone, especially Thorin raise a few questions at the dinner table as to how Gandalf had come by Thrain and surely they would have wanted to know where Thrain was?

A few more questions of less importance.

How could the Dwarves have survived a fall of several thousand feet through a mountain on a flimsy boardwalk without being hurt when the Fellowship couldn't even risk jumping a single gap over a staircase in Moria?

In the end credits it reads 'Based on a Novel by JRR Tolkien' whereas in LOTR it reads 'Based on a Book by JRR Tolkien'. I'm no literary expert so what precisely is the difference between a book and a novel?

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Subject User Time
"This key was given to me by your father". And a few other issues. Spaldron Send a private message to Spaldron Mar 22 2013, 12:40am
    As far as the key goes, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 22 2013, 12:56am
        Those pretty much sum up my feelings as well Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 22 2013, 1:07am
            Who told you there are no magic rings in real life? They were mistaken. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Mar 22 2013, 5:49pm
                There are mood rings... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Mar 22 2013, 5:58pm
                    lol AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Mar 23 2013, 6:19pm
            I don't think you can disregard reality altogether. Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast Mar 22 2013, 11:15pm
                This argument comes up all the time sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 22 2013, 11:46pm
                    Completely agree imin Send a private message to imin Mar 23 2013, 12:48am
                        It's all in the consistency. Spaldron Send a private message to Spaldron Mar 23 2013, 2:43am
                            I think that Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Mar 23 2013, 2:58am
                            I agree with pretty much everything you said... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 23 2013, 3:38am
                            Yep agree with all that :) // imin Send a private message to imin Mar 23 2013, 4:01am
                            Here is My 2 Cents IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Mar 23 2013, 7:54pm
                    THIS 1000 times jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Mar 23 2013, 9:24pm
                        Have you seen King Kong? Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Mar 23 2013, 10:15pm
                            I didn't care for King Kong Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 24 2013, 12:45am
                                The story is just a Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Mar 24 2013, 3:17pm
    I actually had that exact same thought the other day about Thrain. ghost_matt Send a private message to ghost_matt Mar 22 2013, 2:58am
    I don't see the reason why they used novel rather than book, or vise versa DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Mar 22 2013, 8:56am
    Important Clarification Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Mar 22 2013, 10:12am
    magic carpet ride... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Mar 22 2013, 7:26pm
    Moria Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Mar 22 2013, 7:39pm
        Word Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Mar 23 2013, 12:12am
            Why?? Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Mar 23 2013, 7:52am
                To me, it comes down to three cuts... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 23 2013, 2:13pm
                    We need to sneak you into the editing room once PJ thinks DoS is done, lol! // imin Send a private message to imin Mar 23 2013, 4:31pm
                        I'd be happy to give him some notes ha ha. sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 23 2013, 4:40pm
        Gandalf is supernatural by definition, however. The Hobbit and dwarves aren't AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Mar 23 2013, 6:23pm
            DOS Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Mar 23 2013, 6:49pm
                Sounds good to me. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Mar 24 2013, 12:53am
            Yes, but... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Mar 23 2013, 7:50pm
                Their bodies could be destroyed, but not nearly as easily as that of an ordinary human. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Mar 24 2013, 12:51am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.