Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Do elves yawn?

Anubis
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 3:53pm

Post #1 of 8 (547 views)
Shortcut
Do elves yawn? Can't Post

The question is simple...do the elves actually yawn at any time? I am talking about both the movies, books and offscreen moments. Just out of curiosity.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 3:57pm

Post #2 of 8 (355 views)
Shortcut
The question I have is [In reply to] Can't Post

do elves sleep?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 8 (349 views)
Shortcut
Yawning isn't a just a response to tiredness ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It can be anything from an involuntary yawn (perhaps induced by boredom), to erotic arousal. Animals yawn because of dominance, and as warning signals

I'd say it's very hard for an elf, especially Cirdan, not to yawn in their entire life/lives.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 21 2013, 4:07pm)

FrodoTook
The Shire

Mar 21 2013, 9:50pm

Post #4 of 8 (302 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they yawn. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think they "endure" life. For a long time.

I don't perceive that they ever got "bored".

But do perceive they grew tired of being in Middle -earth..when they found their self wanting so very bad to be with those who went back to the undying lands.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 8 (306 views)
Shortcut
Apparently Not [In reply to] Can't Post

They compose their minds and walk in their dreams. They can"sleep" like this even in the waking world. Tolkien talks about this in LOTR during, I think, the 3 Hunters tracking Merry and Pippin.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 12:52am

Post #6 of 8 (288 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about elves [In reply to] Can't Post

But I yawn when I'm tired or bored. As for elves, they probably do not, as they just endure, and are so elegant and poised, that yawning seems to be a silly human thing compared with them.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 26 2013, 10:55pm

Post #7 of 8 (204 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

An Elf would have to go for many days without rest (literally to the point of exhaustion) to find himself/herself yawning.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elthir
Gondor

Mar 31 2013, 10:25pm

Post #8 of 8 (199 views)
Shortcut
About sleep [In reply to] Can't Post

'Legolas already lay motionless, his fair hands folded upon his breast, his eyes unclosed, blending living night and deep dream, as is the way with Elves.' [The Riders of Rohan] (...) 'Only Legolas still stepped as lightly as ever, his feet hardly seeming to press the grass, leaving no footprints as he passed; but in the waybread of the Elves he found all the sustenance that he needed, and he could sleep, if sleep it could be called by Men, resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world.'

'On 5 November 1956 Tolkien wrote to a Mr Britten that 'it is plainly suggested that Elves do 'sleep', but not in our mode, having a different relation to what we call 'dreaming'. Nothing very definite is said about it (a) because except at a length destructive of narrative it would be difficult to describe a different mode of conciousness, and (b) for reasons that you so rightly observe: something must be left not fully explained, and only suggested.' Tolkien, George Allen & Unwin archive, HarperCollins

'Then Ambarussa [son of Feanor] went pale with fear. 'Did you not then rouse Ambarussa my brother (who you call Ambarto)?' he said. 'He would not come ashore to sleep (he said) in discomfort.' JRRT, The Peoples of Middle-Earth

Courtesy Hammond And Scull, The Lord of the Rings Reader's Companion

(This post was edited by Elthir on Mar 31 2013, 10:28pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.