Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
LOTR traditions

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 8:08pm

Post #1 of 7 (411 views)
Shortcut
LOTR traditions Can't Post

Maybe this is extremely geeky, but i have a few traditions that I wanted to share involving the trilogy...
The first one is that ever Christmas or actually the day after, i watch the 1st part of FOTR the Extended Edition, I watch the second part on Dec. 27th, the first part of EE TT on Dec. 28th, the second part of EE TT on Dec. 29th, the first part of EE ROTK on Dec. 30th and the last part on Dec. 31st. That way I can wrap up the last six days of the year having recapped the greatest movie ever.
Plus I always freeze-frame on a shot of Aragorn right at midnight so that he is the last thing I see in the old year and the first thing I see in the new. Super geeky I know, but such is my obsession.
Of course I am one who always re reads the trilogy in August every year and I have done that since 2006.
This next one is proof that I am totally dedicated... Back in 2004, here where I live the Return of the King released on May 25th and I have since dubbed it "The Return of the King Day" and every year I bake a cake and watch all three theatrical versions that night in a row. I am totally beat the next day but in a good way!
i don't know, maybe I take top prize in "Queen of the Weird and Geeky" but i enjoy these traditions so much and they mean a lot to me so how can that be wrong?
RangerLady out!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 9:05pm

Post #2 of 7 (224 views)
Shortcut
Well, that is definitely geeky. [In reply to] Can't Post

But being geeky is definitely not a bad thing. I personally don't have any traditions when it comes to Tolkien, i just read or watch whenever the mood hits me, which is all the time really. I watch the EEs every few months it seems, and the TEs only when i catch them on AMC or TNT. I haven't read the books in years, but i'm always referencing them and reading parts of them whenever i'm wondering about a certain part, or can't remember exactly how a series of events played out. And i'm always reading online about various Middle-earth characters or locales or events, because that's what i love most about Tolkien-- the deep history and geography of Middle-earth. The only real tradition i have is before a new film hits the theaters, i watch every part that i have at home. So before i see DoS, i'll watch all three LotR EEs and then the AUJ EE (can not wait for that!). But that's about it. Not nearly as dedicated as your traditions...

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 12:57am

Post #3 of 7 (160 views)
Shortcut
I don't see anything wrong with that at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Every Christmas I watch the Extended Editions of the trilogy, and in either spring, summer or fall I watch the theatrical editions. I read the novels once to t o twice a year, and The Hobbit twice a year. I just really love them, and they give me so much inspiration.
There is nothing wrong with you doing your traditions. I think that's cool, and we all could use some comfort and enjoyment.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 1:06am

Post #4 of 7 (163 views)
Shortcut
I love it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always watch the EE during my Christmas break from school (I'm a teacher) and I read The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings before I watch the movies. Also, I saw all the TE with my mom and took her to see The Hobbit (she got me into Tolkien). Those are just a few things so I love what you do.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2013, 1:42am

Post #5 of 7 (160 views)
Shortcut
Summer marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

My family has an annual family summer vacation trip, involving my parents and whichever of their kids and grandkids and otherrelations can make it, every summer. We go up to the mountains for a week. And some three consecutive evenings of that vacation, those of us old enough to enjoy it and stay up that late, watch the EEs before going to bed.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 8:48am

Post #6 of 7 (143 views)
Shortcut
Indian takeaways are compulsory [In reply to] Can't Post

in my household for any LOTR viewings.

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Mar 22 2013, 2:55pm

Post #7 of 7 (153 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In my case, I can't wait so long before watching it again, so... I watch it whenever I feel like... normally part 1 on one night and part 2 on the next night, and so on...

But I have just one unbreakable rule... that it must be the last thing I do in the day, right before I sleep, that way all the images and feelings are so fresh that I sleep with them. I sleep right into Middle Earth.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.