Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Would a TV series Adaptation work?

moreorless
Rohan

Mar 19 2013, 1:43pm

Post #1 of 16 (498 views)
Shortcut
Would a TV series Adaptation work? Can't Post

Its something thats been mentioned in the past but not for awhile so I just wondered what peoples opinions are, could LOTR be made into a TV series and what would the advantages and disadvanatges be?

Personally I think the likes of Game of Thrones have shown than in a technical sense a TV series is possible even today(and likely moreso a few years down the line when another adaptation would seem more likely), it might not match Jacksons LOTR for scale but it could be good enough for the material. Equally I think we've seen that actors of the highest level who could do the material justice are willing to work on TV.

The main advantage of a TV series to me would be that it would allow for much greater detail to be covered and thus something thats less likely to feel like a retred of Jacksons films.

The most obvious disadvantage seems to be that a TV series will tend to be more episodic even if your dealing with 1 hour+ episodes. FOTR seems to lend itself pretty well to this kind of adaptation but as the narrative becomes less episodic in TTT and ROTK would the sdame be true? I spose the counter to that might be to devote an episode to each side of the story this allowing for more ground to be covered.

Having a quick go at coming up with 3 ten episodes seasons...

FOTR

1.A Long Expected Party
2.A Shadow of the Past to Buckleberry
3.The Old Forrest to Bombadil
4.Barrows to Bree
5.Bree to Weathertop
6.The Flight to the Ford and Council of Elrond
7.Journey South, Redhorn Gate to the Gate of Moria
8.Moria
9.Lorien
10.The Great River and Breaking the Fellowship.

TTT

1. Emin Muir and Gollum
2. The Three Hunters and Merry and Pippin
3. The Dead Marshes to the Black Gate
4. Ride to Edoras and Freeing Theoden
5. Ent Moot
6. Ithillien and Faramir
7. Helms Deep and Ents attack Isenguard
8. Minas Mogul
9 .The Voice of Saurman + Palatir
10.Shelob

ROTK

1.Sam Rescues Frodo from Cirith Ungol
2.Arrival at Minas Tirith to Faramir's Injury
3.Muster of Rohan and Paths of the Dead
4.Journey Across Mordor
5.Battle of Pellenor
6.Rohan/Aragorn to the Rescue, Houses of Healing
7.Mt Doom/Battle of the Black Gate
8.Celebrations and Journey Home
9.Scouring of the Shire
10.Into the West

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2013, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 16 (238 views)
Shortcut
There's a thread below [In reply to] Can't Post

about a reboot where we talked about this quite a bit. Like i said there, i think the only way to go in the future as far as a LotR adaptation goes would be an HBO style, Game of Thrones/Band of Brothers-type series/miniseries. I like your idea of a 3 season arc, kind of like how they do it in England, with a finite 2 or 3 season (or "series", as they would say) run. I was thinking that since LotR is broken up into 'books', doing 3 hours per book, and having an 18-20 hour, Band of Brothers style miniseries.

Regardless, i think anything of this sort is at least 10-15 years down the road.

Kendalf
Rohan

Mar 20 2013, 3:45pm

Post #3 of 16 (205 views)
Shortcut
I would absolutely love a Game of Thrones style adaptation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Its something thats been mentioned in the past but not for awhile so I just wondered what peoples opinions are, could LOTR be made into a TV series and what would the advantages and disadvanatges be?

Yes. Yes, it could. And, to be perfectly honest, I think each book is probably better suited to the generous expanse of a 10-hour season than it is to a 3-hour movie. And I can't argue much with your postulated Episode Guide, either. One thing it retains that the movies didn't is the heart-wrenching cliffhanger at the end of Two Towers. I'll remember forever the impact that climax had on me the first time I read it. "Frodo was alive but taken by the enemy" Bam! End of Season Two Laugh

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 20 2013, 4:11pm

Post #4 of 16 (204 views)
Shortcut
It could [In reply to] Can't Post

But none of the HBO-type networks are going to pick it up. It would have to be BBC or PBS produced.

Basically, since no one gets nude or has graphic sex, it won't appeal to those networks. Just saying.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 20 2013, 11:40pm

Post #5 of 16 (174 views)
Shortcut
I could see Syfy attempting it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...or maybe even AMC. I just don't know that such a project would be given the budget needed for a successful adaptation. I keep thinking that this was one of the reasons why the Dragonriders of Pern television series failed before even a pilot could film (although, creative interference seems to have been a larger factor in the latter case).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

acheron
Gondor

Mar 21 2013, 2:37am

Post #6 of 16 (195 views)
Shortcut
Syfy? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the scene at the Moria gate they could do a crossover with Sharktopus.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

dik-dik
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 9:38am

Post #7 of 16 (180 views)
Shortcut
I'd segment the books differently, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I like the idea of a mini-series. (for example, I can imagine quite a few people falling asleep during the Entmoot episode, and demanding more of Helm's Deep than just one episode ;) ) I'm fine with LotR being crammed into three movies, but it would be interesting to see it in greater detail as a series as well. Same with The Hobbit which would also make a wonderful bedtime TV series for kids if animated (no idea how many countries have this tradition).
A book which would work much better for me as series than actual movies, would be The Silmarillion.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 1:45pm

Post #8 of 16 (157 views)
Shortcut
Syfy isn't THAT bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the scene at the Moria gate they could do a crossover with Sharktopus.

Syfy has aired some pretty cheesy movies, but most of those are made by film companies such as Asylum; and even those movies have their audience (hi, Tony!). The network is also responsible for more worthy efforts like the revamped Battlestar Galactica. For the record, I was deeply disappointed with Syfy's Earthsea adaptation.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 21 2013, 1:51pm)

moreorless
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 5:05pm

Post #9 of 16 (152 views)
Shortcut
Thats I'd say the difficultly with any LOTR adaptation... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... I like the idea of a mini-series. (for example, I can imagine quite a few people falling asleep during the Entmoot episode, and demanding more of Helm's Deep than just one episode ;) ) I'm fine with LotR being crammed into three movies, but it would be interesting to see it in greater detail as a series as well. Same with The Hobbit which would also make a wonderful bedtime TV series for kids if animated (no idea how many countries have this tradition).
A book which would work much better for me as series than actual movies, would be The Silmarillion.

The level of detail in Tolkiens work might be best suited for a TV series but his long slow climax's(espeically in TTT and ROTK) are argebuley better suited for films.

Kendalf
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 6:15pm

Post #10 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
BSG was quite tremendous, true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Syfy...is also responsible for more worthy efforts like the revamped Battlestar Galactica.

True, and that was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

But, it's more of an exception than the norm as far as SyFy is concerned; I simply don't think they have the creative chops or financial muscle to tackle LotR, or at least tackle it and do it justice.

The only serious contender is HBO, surely? Maybe with some BBC input?

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Kendalf
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 6:25pm

Post #11 of 16 (138 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But none of the HBO-type networks are going to pick it up...Basically, since no one gets nude or has graphic sex, it won't appeal to those networks.

Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 21 2013, 6:28pm

Post #12 of 16 (148 views)
Shortcut
I have trouble taking seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

a SciFi-themed channel that thought 'SyFy' was a smart and clever brand.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

moreorless
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 7:10pm

Post #13 of 16 (141 views)
Shortcut
The BBC is an interesting idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Syfy...is also responsible for more worthy efforts like the revamped Battlestar Galactica.

True, and that was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

But, it's more of an exception than the norm as far as SyFy is concerned; I simply don't think they have the creative chops or financial muscle to tackle LotR, or at least tackle it and do it justice.

The only serious contender is HBO, surely? Maybe with some BBC input?

Generally the BBC's fantasy/sci fi output has been pretty low budget and on the pulpy(but family friendly) side in recent years, I'm guessing because it would be hard to justify the cost of anything more serious that may have a limated audience.

LOTR's(along with Harry Potter thats unlikely to be remain) is really the only serious fantasy that could make a good case for having a mainstream audience.

One interesting thing to consider I spose is that the BBC maybe looking for a new "tentpole" production, I'd argue that in recent years its been the Attenborough wildlife series(espeically from Planet Earth onwards) and Top Gear that have forfilled those roles but while I still enjoy both I think you can also argue both are somewhat repeating themselves.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 8:37pm

Post #14 of 16 (129 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

it would definitely work.
But, I would want to include The Hobbit, some of the things that happened between TH and LOTR and some of the 'happenings' in the other parts of Middle-earth during the War of the Ring (Mirkwood, Lothlorién, Dale, etc.).
So that would make a season or 8, I guess.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Mar 21 2013, 8:39pm)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 8:43pm

Post #15 of 16 (125 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

with you on ''Helm's Deep''. Everything leading up to the battle could be in one episode and the battle itself in another episode. And Théoden saying; ''Is this it? Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?'' followed by the wall blowing up and a look at a horrified Théoden would make a fantastic cliffhanger.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Mar 21 2013, 8:44pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 21 2013, 9:01pm

Post #16 of 16 (205 views)
Shortcut
I know...what marketing genius came up with that one? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.