Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Live event
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 3:53pm

Post #1 of 42 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Live event Can't Post

So i got my code for the Live event this Sunday (Monday for New zealand/Austrailen folks?)

What do you guys think we will see in the event?

A trailer, or just some scenes?
Behind the scenes we know we will see.

How long do you think it will last?

"Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
"What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off.
― J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 4:00pm

Post #2 of 42 (589 views)
Shortcut
It will be 10-20 minutes long, and PJ will also answer fan questions. / [In reply to] Can't Post

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 4:36pm

Post #3 of 42 (648 views)
Shortcut
cheat [In reply to] Can't Post

whats the code look like? is it letters and numbers? i might try and randomly try a few combinations on the night lol

im not gonna buy the hobbit untill the extended edition (imdont particularly like being ripped off by a multi billion dollar company) so im hoping theres gonna be a live feed somewhere! im sure there will.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 4:41pm

Post #4 of 42 (569 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

It is both number and letters :P

"Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
"What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off.
― J.R.R. Tolkien

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 5:02pm

Post #5 of 42 (533 views)
Shortcut
How are you being ripped off? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can choose to buy it or not. I guess i was ripped off for buying it-- even though i will want to have both the TE *and* the EE in my collection? And PJ is ripping off the fans by providing both the TE and the EE?

The TE has the theatrical edition, all the trailers, a couple of good documentaries, and the video blogs in hd. The EE has the extended edition and the appendices. They are two seperate and very different products, and both worthy of purchase in my opinion.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21 2013, 5:03pm

Post #6 of 42 (541 views)
Shortcut
But you're OK with stealing someone else's code? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I understand your logic. You don't like "getting ripped off" by a multi billion dollar company, but it's fine if you take someone else's code?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 5:07pm

Post #7 of 42 (479 views)
Shortcut
You wouldn't be able to do that without some nifty software. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be happy, mind, if it were my code ...

Unimpressed

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 5:14pm

Post #8 of 42 (470 views)
Shortcut
Each code is unique so it would be a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wouldn't be happy, mind, if it were my code ...

Unimpressed

True, I have to agree. And as each code is unique the second entry attempt would be locked out.
I shared my extra codes, unfortunately it seems my US code will not unlock the UltraViolet in another country - said 'this code is not for your country". Crazy
Hoping beyond hope that all goes well for the DOS codes shared in other countries....a bit worried now.

(And PS on a Dori-ish side note, can't you do something about this weather Daniel B? I'd like like more Spring in my spring, thanks!)Smile

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 21 2013, 5:23pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 5:16pm

Post #9 of 42 (504 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

the chances of guessing the code are slim, i was kinda joking, but ive got no problem watching it streamed somewhere, im not being forced into buying a product just to see a clip of the next film, which will be online soon anyway, and im not being preyed on because i enjoy tolkines work, its that passion that they are taking advantage of, theyll squeeze every last piece of cash out of you if you let them.

i dont want or need a TE and EE and box set and the special collectors edition and the middle earth sagas box set or the red book of westmarch special edition etc etc

ive already seen the TE and all the documentaries, so why should i buy it! just give the EE like most films release straight away rather than milking it twice in the same year!

(This post was edited by jimmyfenn on Mar 21 2013, 5:19pm)

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 5:30pm

Post #10 of 42 (475 views)
Shortcut
Milking [In reply to] Can't Post

Um, isn't that what companies are supposed to do - make as much money as possible? Obviously, they're focusing right now on making the most they can on the theatrical edition of the film. By the time the EE comes out, they'll be trying to make as much money from that as possible.

They are, after all, in the business of making money, not the business of giving fans everything they want all at the same time.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manw; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 5:32pm

Post #11 of 42 (443 views)
Shortcut
Then just wait for the trailer to come out later... [In reply to] Can't Post

...nothing is forcing you to buy the dvd for the code. It's just a marketing technique to move product more quickly, but those who don't get it will eventually get to see the trailers (and to that end, the movie), they'll just have to wait later.

As for myself, with or without the preview, I wanted to buy the movie. And I will buy the EE, too. And I won't feel ripped off, because I enjoy watching these movies.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 5:35pm

Post #12 of 42 (437 views)
Shortcut
ahem. [In reply to] Can't Post

yes you are completely right, and to put it bluntly this is why the world economies collapsed and the top few percent of the worlds population hold 99% of the worlds money, and most of the world lives in poverty, greed and profiteering is an unsustainable way to run the world!

but as long as ive got the TE and the EE then im happy!!

take this with a pinch of salt ;)

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 5:39pm

Post #13 of 42 (429 views)
Shortcut
So the world economy collapsed [In reply to] Can't Post

because movie companies are trying to make money? I certainly don't agree.

And just so you know, I do not have the TE nor will I be getting it, so I'm waiting just like you.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manw; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 5:40pm

Post #14 of 42 (432 views)
Shortcut
So maybe.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron wasn't really destroyed. He's returned as a voucher code. Shocked

No wonder the world is falling apart.

Sly

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 5:45pm

Post #15 of 42 (419 views)
Shortcut
But the thing is this isn't them just stealing fron [In reply to] Can't Post

they're giving value for our dollar. I have no problem buying both the TE and the EE (the soundtrack, however, is a special edition only purchase for me). If you just want The Hobbit that you saw in the theater and don't care about behind the scenes stuff, you'll be happy with the TE. If you only want the extended version of the movie and the in-depth documentaties, wait for the EE. If you're a completist like myself, you'll get both, and maybe even multiple versions of the TE. The online preview on Sunday, to me, is just some icing on the cake and didn't affect my buying the TE one way or the other, but it is added value, and seems like it will be pretty cool. If you want to be cynical about all this, that's fine. It's not like movie companies aren't above going for every last dollar they can get. But in this case, i think they're doing a good job of giving the fans something different with each iteration, and PJ especially is making sure that the supposed "double-dip" (the EE) is very much worth it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 5:54pm

Post #16 of 42 (397 views)
Shortcut
At the risk of sounding like a Roman before the Fall... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they're giving value for our dollar. I have no problem buying both the TE and the EE (the soundtrack, however, is a special edition only purchase for me). If you just want The Hobbit that you saw in the theater and don't care about behind the scenes stuff, you'll be happy with the TE. If you only want the extended version of the movie and the in-depth documentaties, wait for the EE. If you're a completist like myself, you'll get both, and maybe even multiple versions of the TE. The online preview on Sunday, to me, is just some icing on the cake and didn't affect my buying the TE one way or the other, but it is added value, and seems like it will be pretty cool. If you want to be cynical about all this, that's fine. It's not like movie companies aren't above going for every last dollar they can get. But in this case, i think they're doing a good job of giving the fans something different with each iteration, and PJ especially is making sure that the supposed "double-dip" (the EE) is very much worth it.

...I am right with you s-d. After more than a decade of loving the works and having next to nothing to enjoy (not that I don't enjoy the texts - but I always dreamed about something visual, on a large scale) the relatively small price to be as completionist is worth, to me, the joy I get from it. I sprung for the soundtrack as soon as it came out - I ordered it before the film opened, as the soundtracks of all my favorite films reside in my car player and although I am a muscial dumbnut I get a huge kick out of hearing them. So we all have a range of options to suit us, and I agree I think they do make an effort to sort of "specialize" each offering to whatever level of fandom you want to go.

(BTW- side note: Sir Dennis gave me some hints as to how to improve the PS settings and now I love the BluRay!)

Wandering Ranger
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 6:45pm

Post #17 of 42 (363 views)
Shortcut
regarding the UK edition [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the UK edition off AMAZON but haven't recieved a code. Am I to understand those who but the UK edition don't get to see this?

So Frodo Baggins boarded the great ship and passed on into the west till the sweet fragrance on the air filled his sense and the sound of singing came over the water. Then it seemed to him that, as in a dream, he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country. The third age of Middle Earth was over, the days of the Rings had passed and the story and song of those times was at an end.

Lily Brambleburr
The Shire

Mar 21 2013, 6:53pm

Post #18 of 42 (346 views)
Shortcut
UK code [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first pre-ordered from Amazon UK I didn't receive a code, so I cancelled my order. When I tried again I received the code within 24 hours of ordering. Smile

"Courage is found in unlikely places." - J.R.R Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 6:54pm

Post #19 of 42 (342 views)
Shortcut
No, if you've pre-ordered the blu-ray or the steelbook [In reply to] Can't Post

Then the code should be sent to you by email (make sure it's not gone into your spam folder). This doesn't include the normal DVD version.

E-mail them asap if you haven't received it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 6:55pm

Post #20 of 42 (330 views)
Shortcut
I think you should have gotten an email [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I bought the UK edition off AMAZON but haven't recieved a code. Am I to understand those who but the UK edition don't get to see this?

From what I understand Amazon UK has emailed the codes to Blu-ray purchasers. (Which did you buy?) I think maybe you should try to contact them, I know Daniel B. and I were comparing codes the other day, and he got his via email (I believe). The real problems seem to be NZ and AUS (among others, I am sure) who bought through Amazon US and have pretty much been told they are SOL for the preview.

I don't see why you wouldn't have one - I feel lucky to have so little schemozzle here in US, my codes were right in the boxes which honestly EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE THAT LUXURY.

I hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted, WR.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 21 2013, 6:57pm)

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Mar 21 2013, 7:02pm

Post #21 of 42 (334 views)
Shortcut
I hope most of it ends up online. [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the movie on blu-ray, but I'm busy on Sunday and won't have a chance to see it.Frown

I still think it's silly that they made this a live event in the first place rather than just including it with the blu-ray.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 7:08pm

Post #22 of 42 (319 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

As for myself, with or without the preview, I wanted to buy the movie. And I will buy the EE, too. And I won't feel ripped off, because I enjoy watching these movies.

Same for me. I buy what I want to buy because I want to buy it or have to have it to live. I am getting the TE because I want to have the movie to watch and the code to see the sneek preview is a major bonus.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 7:08pm

Post #23 of 42 (345 views)
Shortcut
What PS3 setting? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious...

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 21 2013, 7:09pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 7:16pm

Post #24 of 42 (320 views)
Shortcut
Here they are [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Dennis sent me a larger list, which I checked against my settings, and these two were different. Once I changed them the picture was hugely brighter and clearer.

When you first put the disc in the player, before clicking on the disc to play it, scroll over to settings and check the following:
Under Video Settings
-- BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) set to "Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr"
Under Display Settings
-- Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) set to "On"

I had been doing TV changes, but this worked much better. You have to love the ingenuity of our TORn sibs.

Here is a link to his whole post:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=584903#584903

kiwifan
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 7:36pm

Post #25 of 42 (302 views)
Shortcut
To my great surprise I got an email from amazon.de today with a code [In reply to] Can't Post

because I pre-ordered the DVD (won't be released in Germany until April 19th, *sniff*) --- now I have to find a friend with a fairly modern computer since my laptop is so ancient it doesn't play videos smoothly, and a friend who's at home on Sunday evening at 9 p.m. to boot. Wish me luck! Normally, I would've gone to the library and borrowed on of their laptops (they've got a fast internet connection, too) but of course they're closed on Sundays.

And I hope no one tries to steal my code!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.