Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug's Look
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 3:47pm

Post #1 of 39 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's Look Can't Post

Judging from what we saw so far, I think this fan artist could be pretty close:

http://browse.deviantart.com/...872886?_sid=2eee26e3

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 3:51pm

Post #2 of 39 (751 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah maybe, but i think he will be much bigger :)

"Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
"What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off.
― J.R.R. Tolkien

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 4:23pm

Post #3 of 39 (696 views)
Shortcut
quite like that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Very Alan Lee-esque.I can imagine smaug being pretty close to that myself.maybe with a bigger broader head,and larger over all.

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

architecthis
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 4:31pm

Post #4 of 39 (679 views)
Shortcut
Hard to tell [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a topic that hasn't been brought up in quite a while. It is really hard to tell, even when you freeze the digital version of TH and go through each individual frame when Smaug or a part of his body is in the shot.

It looks like he is def some shade of red but from certain angles he looks gray or blue to me. Maybe its just smoke or maybe he will have a marble effect in his skin.

I can't wait to see what he looks like. Hes my favorite character in all of literature.

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 4:42pm

Post #5 of 39 (785 views)
Shortcut
Blue and red [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is going to be Blue when he sleeps and red when he is awake or angry :) i think so at least.

"Good morning!" he said at last. "We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water." By this he meant that the conversation was at an end.
"What a lot of things you do use Good morning for!" said Gandalf. "Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off.
― J.R.R. Tolkien

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 4:51pm

Post #6 of 39 (666 views)
Shortcut
It looked to me that [In reply to] Can't Post

the height of Smaug's paw (from the bottom/pad to the top of his "foot") was a bit higher than the dwarves were tall.

As far as his coloring, it looke to me from the shot of his eye is that he's kind of two-toned, with some of his scales more blue, but the majority of them red. That's my best guess from the limited information we have, anyway.

architecthis
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 4:55pm

Post #7 of 39 (640 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems that way to me as well. The size seems spot on but the blue worries me a little. I could see red and gold.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 4:58pm

Post #8 of 39 (673 views)
Shortcut
I read back when the movie first came out [In reply to] Can't Post

that they were still working on the design, kind of like how you saw glimpses of Gollum in FOTR but he ended up looking totally different in TTT.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 5:04pm

Post #9 of 39 (639 views)
Shortcut
There's always this, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although we got a bit more of Gollum in TTT than we did of Smaug in AUJ.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 5:06pm

Post #10 of 39 (632 views)
Shortcut
That's a nice (design) idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Sort of like a chameleon, but he changes his colour based on mood. That would certainly make him different from other film dragons.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 5:12pm

Post #11 of 39 (634 views)
Shortcut
He's going to be bloomin' massive! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you think about the size of one of those coins against Smaug's eye. A coin is very roughly the size of a human palm ...

He's massive!

And Cumberbatch did say last year that Smaug would be the size of the Empire State Building.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 5:22pm

Post #12 of 39 (612 views)
Shortcut
Just going by the lenth of his tail [In reply to] Can't Post

in that shot of him going through the door to Erebor, he's gotta be more than 100 feet long head to tail.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 5:24pm

Post #13 of 39 (605 views)
Shortcut
Definitely red [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching it on Blu-ray, I definitely see red on his arms, legs, and his snout and around his eye. The blue is just the lighting, I think.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 5:44pm

Post #14 of 39 (599 views)
Shortcut
changing color [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely think this is part of it. He will change to red when he blows fire and/or gets angry. I expect it to be freaking awe inspiring and terrifying.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 5:49pm

Post #15 of 39 (673 views)
Shortcut
Some Smaug pics from the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who are interested, here are some Smaug pics from the movie that may hint at his design/size.

http://imageshack.us/f/46/sizecomparisonsmaugdwar.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/829/46837.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/560/smaugp.png/
http://imageshack.us/f/694/smaug.gif/

Here is a pic of what people are guessing Smaug's size compared to Bilbo is:

http://imageshack.us/f/442/bilbosmaug.png/

Based on these, it seems like the dragon shown on The Hobbit logo seems to be pretty accurate to what may be his design: http://imageshack.us/f/534/doesthehobbitlogoshowwh.jpg/

(This post was edited by Skaan on Mar 21 2013, 5:53pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 6:18pm

Post #16 of 39 (586 views)
Shortcut
Another pic [In reply to] Can't Post

Another pic from his hand/claws, clearly showing red colors.

http://imageshack.us/f/32/shand.png/

(This post was edited by Skaan on Mar 21 2013, 6:18pm)

architecthis
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 6:27pm

Post #17 of 39 (538 views)
Shortcut
He really looks Blue in the Bilbo comparison pic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 21 2013, 6:32pm

Post #18 of 39 (524 views)
Shortcut
He just needs to be big big big [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since we are dealing with mostly smaller than human-sized Bilbo encountering him.

Ffnir
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 7:42pm

Post #19 of 39 (494 views)
Shortcut
It will really need *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

more than one arrow to kill him ! His skin must be thicker than a wall based on these picture. I'm really intrigued on how they will make his death plausible.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 21 2013, 8:22pm)

utku
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 7:46pm

Post #20 of 39 (500 views)
Shortcut
Another height analysis [In reply to] Can't Post

First the scenes in question:
http://imgur.com/a/Mcw9U

The smaller statues guarding Erebor should be about 15 foot (4.5 metres) compared to the dwarves running. Then we have the destroyed gate which seems to be about three times the smaller statues. That gives Smaug a height somewhere around 45 feet (14 metres).

Hes much smaller than I thought but then again we have only seen glimpses of him when he crashes dwarves who are unnaturally small so probably that perception is normal.

(This post was edited by utku on Mar 21 2013, 7:47pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 7:57pm

Post #21 of 39 (465 views)
Shortcut
Smaller than you thougt? [In reply to] Can't Post

45 feet high-- that's a 4 story building. That's huge!

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 7:57pm

Post #22 of 39 (464 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious about that myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, Tolkien was intentionally subverting fantasy tropes to some extent. But that won't fly for the movie, the way a single line introducing Bard's character and Bilbo being knocked out during TBo5A won't fly either. Smaug is the star in DoS, and audiences will want to get their monies worth when he is unveiled and unleashed on Esgaroth. Bard's shot will have to SPECTACULAR if it is just one shot. I know PJ won't let us down here. He wants it to be good just as much as we do.

There's no party like a Dwaven party. Believe it.

utku
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 8:00pm

Post #23 of 39 (468 views)
Shortcut
Well it's not really Empire State Building though, is it? :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Although he was talking about the size in three dimensions. Obviously if he is more like a serpent he could be very long.

(This post was edited by utku on Mar 21 2013, 8:01pm)

FrodoTook
The Shire

Mar 21 2013, 9:29pm

Post #24 of 39 (478 views)
Shortcut
Smaugh warms up [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I perceived at the end of the movie, Smaug subtly changed colors. He first got progressively "warmer" after his being awakened from his slumber. I perceived him going through stages of heat and colors. Much like "Stars". In my mind...Smaug went Super Nova over Erebor and Dale. Duck and cover Bilbo.

(This post was edited by FrodoTook on Mar 21 2013, 9:37pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 9:41pm

Post #25 of 39 (422 views)
Shortcut
If he really is 45' tall, [In reply to] Can't Post

he could be as much as 3 times that in length, which would put him in the neighborhood of 150' long-- that's a 15 story building right there. Not quite the Empire State building, but mighty impressive nonetheless. Personally, i think that's pushing it. I doubt he'll be *that* huge.

And i think Benedict Cumberbatch was speaking extemperaneously, and possibly exaggerating a bit (the Empire State building it nearly 1500 feet tall).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.