Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Star Trek: Into Darkness...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 12:54pm

Post #1 of 31 (388 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek: Into Darkness... Can't Post

Just watched the new trailer for that movie today, and I absolutely can't wait to see it. Despite the massive overuse of lens flare, I loved the first movie of this series because it basically blew up everything we ever knew about the Star Trek canon. We get another small hint as to who Benedict Cumberbatch's character is, but still nothing huge. Have to say, I loved his line about "walking over your cold corpses". Anyone else dying to see this movie?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21 2013, 3:36pm

Post #2 of 31 (272 views)
Shortcut
Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the first movie, which I saw 10 times in theaters. I wasn't that much of a Star Trek fan before, although I do like the original series and the Next Generation re-boot, but I loved the Star Trek movie. I'm very excited for this next one!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 3:42pm

Post #3 of 31 (279 views)
Shortcut
When our leaders fail [In reply to] Can't Post

a hero will rise.

I stopped right there.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 4:26pm

Post #4 of 31 (259 views)
Shortcut
I am! [In reply to] Can't Post

I too enjoyed the first one a lot. I have no problem with alternate dimensional storytelling and I found it a fresh take on the material. I just watched the second trailer, and I liked seeing more of BC! (Whatever he says, in no matter what role these days, I hear as "Smaug-ish"... silly but true!) Didn't see any more hints about Spock's fate - but from that hands touching between glass I was wondering if they plan to lose Spock again.

I had that in mind since those first "KHAN you believe it..." comments that came out - thankfully they did not make the colossal error of trying to remake Wrath of Khan. But I wonder if that loss will be a parallel in this new series, like an inescapable fact of Kirk and Spock's relationship.

(I saw it multiple times in theater too, Entamaiden!)

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 31 (262 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I don't understand your comment.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 4:41pm

Post #6 of 31 (273 views)
Shortcut
The trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

has a line that reads :

" when our leaders fail, a Hero will rise"

I stopped watching the trailer right there.

Not that the lens flare abuse, computer explosions , typical character lines and reactions werent exactly deliciously inspiring and original..

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 4:51pm

Post #7 of 31 (256 views)
Shortcut
It's not as if that line is in the movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

...which it's not. No one actually says that. Plus we have absolutely no idea who this terrorist really is, so we don't know if it's "typical" or not. In the beginning of the movie, he tells a man with a dying daughter that he can save her...so apparently, he's not all bad...or wasn't, at least.

And there's nothing new or original under the sun. I stopped worrying about that years ago, and just watch or read whatever interests me. And I like explosions, as long as they are sensibly done :P

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 21 2013, 5:05pm

Post #8 of 31 (244 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to this one in May.

I love the line "I am better, (at what) everything".

I'm only not sure about the music. I know a trailer usually just borrows music from somewhere, this sounds too much like Requiem for a dream to me (I love that piece of music, it is only being over-used).

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 5:16pm

Post #9 of 31 (246 views)
Shortcut
her neverending mission, to seek out new worlds, new fans, to boldy go... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a 6th grade crush on George Takei. And Leonard Nimoy. I have somewhere, that orginal TV Guide with the "what theheck is this stuff with warp drive and pointy ears???" article about the new fall series. I had a stuffed zebra named Uhura ( I had a rather more extensive horse collection, "Uhura" was an honor to my favorite TV female role model).

I dreaded the reboot. Nobody, but nobody could replace George Takei, or Leonard Nimoy, or Nichelle Nichols.

I have never been so wrong...

I think it was when I recognized the characters even without the red and gold and blue shirts or the classic sets. They nailed it. Especially Spock. And the riff on Sulu as swordsman (a minor bit in one episode that somehow, everyone remembers) was awesome.

I can't wait.

And I think I'll add Benedict Cumberbatch to the crush list.

Go outside and play...

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 5:25pm

Post #10 of 31 (239 views)
Shortcut
Already on mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I think I'll add Benedict Cumberbatch to the crush list.

I didn't think I could ever have a crush on Benedict Cumberbatch...he's completely the anti-traditional hollywood hero type. But after watching Sherlock, I am completely hooked. I'll find it difficult to root against him in this, that's for sure lol. He's my current desktop wallpaper.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 6:01pm

Post #11 of 31 (239 views)
Shortcut
Probably wont be [In reply to] Can't Post

in the movie, but theres only so much cheesy trailers i can stomach.

After a while, its just the same repeated formulas, and constructions, and dialogues...

Oh but there is! You just have to find it and disregard the rest.

I dont get my mind or cinematic mojo turned on by computer cgi cabuuum and cabaaaaam so, ....thats mainly put there because the studios know the demographics who appreciate that stuff will eat it up with a spoon, even if theres a dumb script and predictable characters and plots...

To me its just yaaaaawwn

But an explosion that is memorable, and with a purpose behind it and if done originally, it can have such an impact. Like last years GOT wildfire blast.

But i am not a trekkie anyway so...

I am just worried about star wars and the return of the lens flare Tongue

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 6:33pm

Post #12 of 31 (227 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call myself a Trekkie... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by any stretch of the imagination. Far from it, actually. Never really liked any of the movies (and despised some of them). Haven't even seen the wrath of khan (that automatically disqualifies me there). I just find these movies to be more interesting than the original trek because they blew up the entire canon and started from scratch. Now they are going down a road very different from what people are used to- if that's not original, I don't know what is. It seems more character driven this time around- and trailers have to be jam packed with action, otherwise they wouldn't catch our attention. Honestly, I find the story of Benedict Cumberbatch's character to be the biggest reason I will see this when it comes out.

At this point, I couldn't care less about the new Star Wars - the franchise has been irreparably ruined for me by the sheer idiocy of George Lucas - same with Indiana Jones. I don't go in for stupid or badly written movies, and until the Star Wars franchise can prove that it has washed the stink of the previous trilogy off of its hands, I won't spend another dime on it.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 9:04pm

Post #13 of 31 (210 views)
Shortcut
ROST [In reply to] Can't Post

is my favourite. And Phantom was my first SW. Unsure Stop raping my good memories. Laugh

If George Lucas dumbed down the prequels, frankly, any average good director can do a better job. Hes a greater ideas man, but as far as writing and directing, hes lost it completely. So i look forward to the future...hes retired now and has passed the torch.

Agreed, i find Cumberbatch the only good reason to watch this. Not because of his awesome character, but because of him as an actor, hes quite interesting.

As to trailers being jampacked with what you euphemistically call "action" and i call "yawn inducer", in order for our attention to be catched,...speak for yourself mate. My favourite trailers have few action and focus more on style, dialogue, characters and vistas.

Even the John Rambo trailer had a more interesting use of the violence, rythm, music ... It wasnt alwasy there, in your face, all the time, saying : OH LOOK CABUUUUUMMM look how good it looks! More cgi and more cgi! Cabuuuuuuum! More cgi!

But whatever, i suspect this is not my cup of tea anyway.

As to the fandom...many fans hate that they started from scratch and hate the director. But thats another issue.

I certainly wont lose any sleep if the movie turns out to be a pile of Radagsts finest make up.
Tongue

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Mar 21 2013, 9:05pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 9:20pm

Post #14 of 31 (228 views)
Shortcut
I've seen the three prequels... [In reply to] Can't Post

..once each. I even had to look up what ROST was because I seriously had not seen it since the one time in theaters when it came out. Empire Strikes Back was and always will be the best Star Wars movie imo. The prequels just took themselves way to seriously for the bad writing it was given. And despite the fact that it had great actors, the acting was stiff and nearly unwatchable. And despite my love for the first trilogy of Star Wars, I don't own them on blu-ray (like I do everything else I really like) because I refuse to buy the "enhanced" versions of the movies. I've heard that Disney plans on releasing the originals as they were on blu-ray, and when they do, they will get my money.

If you liked the last Star Trek movie, odds are, you will like this one. If you didn't, then you probably won't like this one. These movies don't feel like the original Star Trek at all, which is fine with me...the original Star Trek story has been done to death in every incarnation possible. I think this movie has the potential to be one of the better Star Trek movies, but I can't make that judgment until I see it. And yes, I can probably tell you the entire plot of it right here...however, I don't know what the backstory is, and that's what will be interesting for me. If the movie sucks, it sucks, and I'll move on with my life, because it's just a movie.

I want anything at all that I can look forward to until Sherlock comes back on next winter (I want to see this even more than DoS), and there are quite a few good things coming out this year.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2013, 11:43pm

Post #15 of 31 (218 views)
Shortcut
Insanity [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just watched the new trailer for that movie today, and I absolutely can't wait to see it. Despite the massive overuse of lens flare, I loved the first movie of this series because it basically blew up everything we ever knew about the Star Trek canon.

I love the comment about the lens flare. By now, it's such a personal cliché for Abrams, it's like using the "Wilhelm" every three seconds. It used to be that only amateurs would allow lens flare into their films. Now it's somehow "cool." What it really is, is stupid Emperor's Clothes. No JJ, it ain't cool and you're naked.

As for the rest - insanity.

One of my overalls complaints about the Berman and Braga era - okay, two - is not listening to what the audience wanted or valued and peeing like dogs on the franchise to forever leave their stink by snuffing characters (Kirk, Data, Picard's family), etc, etc, and now new writers snuff Vulcan (and Romulus!) for the Coup de grâce, on a whim for personal glory or cheap thrills in the name of drama - not for the good of the story or the franchise. What they did to Picard's family, burning them to death in a fire, just to give Soran a quote was utterly unforgivable, completely trashing the memory and enjoyment of Family, one of the top favorite episodes of Next Generation. It was a terrible thing to do and it left poor Picard with nothing - just to give the line to a forgettable villain who the writers then used to kill Kirk. More egotistic, self-centered writing.

It was like how the writers for another franchise snuffed Newt, Hicks and Bishop in Alien 3. Meaningless. Jim Cameron agrees. I always hoped the Alien franchise would go back and erase or ignore Newt and Hicks' meaningless deaths. Similarly for Star Trek, the NEXT reboot should go back and do something with the original timeline, sans the Kirk/Data/Picard/Vulcan/Romulus debacles, and show those peeing dogs what's what.

As good as the movie might be, your Star Trek isn't Star Trek.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Mar 21 2013, 11:48pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 12:06am

Post #16 of 31 (214 views)
Shortcut
Counterpoint... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Didn't realize that this was "my" movie, or "my" version of Star Trek because I happen to like the last movie and I'm looking forward to this. I grew up watching TNG, and enjoyed it very much, then watched DS9, and liked it, too. Tried to watch Voyager, but it sucked and I stopped caring about Star Trek after that.

However, the new franchise did not destroy Vulcan just to make it "dramatic"...they did it to wipe the slate clean. There is absolutely nothing left to do in the original Star Trek universe. Nothing. They have milked every possible storyline, created new franchises and characters, made movie after movie, wrote book after book, until there was this absolutely MASSIVE canon that would make any new take on the franchise impossible to do. It was stale. That was what Enterprise did so poorly- it was TERRIBLY written, badly acted and nowhere near as good as its predecessors. After Enterprise, there was the longest gap without Star Trek there had been since TNG. So, given the choice between letting Star Trek just completely die under its own weight and history, they wiped the slate clean and started from scratch. Not everyone likes that idea...but finally, people could come up with new ideas for the characters, explore different angles and just basically do something completely different.

If this movie lives up to the promise of the trailers, I will gladly see it again and eventually own it. I still like TNG and DS9, too. Nothing precludes me from liking the old universe and the new one.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 12:13am

Post #17 of 31 (204 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

If this movie lives up to the promise of the trailers, I will gladly see it again and eventually own it. I still like TNG and DS9, too. Nothing precludes me from liking the old universe and the new one.

I can live with new incarnations. And since none of this is real anyway, who cares if they blow up a planet and start fresh? It's sci fi, after all... and I've been watching it since I was four. I had to manually change the channels back then too...talk about different universes! Wink

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2013, 12:40am

Post #18 of 31 (203 views)
Shortcut
Propaganda [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Didn't realize that this was "my" movie, or "my" version of Star Trek because I happen to like the last movie and I'm looking forward to this. I grew up watching TNG, and enjoyed it very much, then watched DS9, and liked it, too. Tried to watch Voyager, but it sucked and I stopped caring about Star Trek after that.

However, the new franchise did not destroy Vulcan just to make it "dramatic"...they did it to wipe the slate clean. There is absolutely nothing left to do in the original Star Trek universe. Nothing. They have milked every possible storyline, created new franchises and characters, made movie after movie, wrote book after book, until there was this absolutely MASSIVE canon that would make any new take on the franchise impossible to do. It was stale. That was what Enterprise did so poorly- it was TERRIBLY written, badly acted and nowhere near as good as its predecessors. After Enterprise, there was the longest gap without Star Trek there had been since TNG. So, given the choice between letting Star Trek just completely die under its own weight and history, they wiped the slate clean and started from scratch. Not everyone likes that idea...but finally, people could come up with new ideas for the characters, explore different angles and just basically do something completely different.

"Your" Star Trek obviously means the Star Trek that you enjoy. I think that's very clear, and it makes me wonder why you're being obtuse about it. I'm a very, very longtime Trekkie. Long enough that I prefer "Trekkie" over "Trekker" (dumb) and went to one of the first Star Trek conventions ever. I also mostly enjoyed Star Trek X and no doubt will enjoy Star Trek XI, but not because it's Star Trek.

For the rest, you're only parroting the well-known party line, nearly verbatim, almost as if you are with the creative team, without any effort to think independently or critically or to see beyond the propaganda. But thanks for not liking the lens flare.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Mar 22 2013, 12:42am)

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 1:13am

Post #19 of 31 (192 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

What the "party line" is because I never looked that up. I don't follow Star Trek and am content with watching the movies as they come out. I'm fine with people disagreeing with me, but much prefer if they don't insult my intelligence when they do. I'm not obtuse, I am quite good at critical thinking, and I don't promote "propaganda". I simply made the observation that the filmmaker made a decision to start with a fresh story (which is obvious to anyone who knows even a little about Star Trek), and that I liked the direction it took. The whole story is make-believe, so there is no right or wrong when it comes to the universe, and I don't prefer one version of it over the other. I will fully and freely admit that I don't live and breathe Star Trek; but that doesn't make my opinion of the movie less valid. I don't live and breathe Tolkien, either, but I still enjoy the books and movies and discussing my opinion about them. But with civility.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 22 2013, 1:31am

Post #20 of 31 (176 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* Oh yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the extended trailer at the IMAX DVD Hobbit... and I was blown away! Even Pike's voice was so evocative. Karl Urban's McCoy is so incredibly spot-on, imho. All the players are fantastic! This is gonna be great!

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2013, 1:34am

Post #21 of 31 (183 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I meant deliberately obtuse, not naturally obtuse. The former does require intelligence.

I believe there is right and wrong, even if the Universe at large doesn't care. I'm not a relativist, except in the area of physics.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 2:05am

Post #22 of 31 (173 views)
Shortcut
Nicely put Bborchar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What the "party line" is because I never looked that up. I don't follow Star Trek and am content with watching the movies as they come out. I'm fine with people disagreeing with me, but much prefer if they don't insult my intelligence when they do. I'm not obtuse, I am quite good at critical thinking, and I don't promote "propaganda". I simply made the observation that the filmmaker made a decision to start with a fresh story (which is obvious to anyone who knows even a little about Star Trek), and that I liked the direction it took. The whole story is make-believe, so there is no right or wrong when it comes to the universe, and I don't prefer one version of it over the other. I will fully and freely admit that I don't live and breathe Star Trek; but that doesn't make my opinion of the movie less valid. I don't live and breathe Tolkien, either, but I still enjoy the books and movies and discussing my opinion about them. But with civility.

I think your opinions have always been clear, enjoyable, intelligent and, most importantly, flawlesly civil.
We seem to have strayed far from a fun-starting sort of discussion, but as Gramma notes above, Into darkness is something to look forward to. NIce that its in summer again. You haven't tried Wrath of Khan yet? Its arguably the best of the original film series, and I wonder as I said above if they aren't aiming to echo some of the events.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 22 2013, 2:11am)

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 2:35am

Post #23 of 31 (150 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it :) I guess it surprises me that something like this can be so divisive, but there it is. But for me, it is about fun- that's the point of a summer blockbuster. I don't get the opportunity to watch many movies these days, so I like to make them count.

As for Wrath of Khan: my husband wants me to see it, too, so I guess I will watch it one day. The last of the original Star Trek movies I watched was the one with the whales, and I just could not stop laughing. Someone must have been on some crazy drugs to dream that one up.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 2:35am

Post #24 of 31 (154 views)
Shortcut
I think I have a crush on Sherlock, not C-batch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some things I see him in, I'm kind of meh (War Horse, Parade's End). But Sherlock, I could watch him in an endless loop forever. So for me it's character over actor.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 3:03am

Post #25 of 31 (144 views)
Shortcut
Well let us know [In reply to] Can't Post

if you watch it. Would love to hear your thoughts. I can assure you it is an entirely different vibe than The Voyage Home. If you do, you will understand my hands-on-glass question. Just skip the first one (ST: The Motion Picture) no matter WHAT else you watch! Wink

Anything can be divisive, I suppose. But in this context nothing needs to be.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 22 2013, 3:06am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.