Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2013, 10:12pm

Post #26 of 36 (113 views)
Shortcut
So, what is the consensus opinion on Oz? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oz_the_great_and_powerful/

The ratings are reminscent of AUJ.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2013, 1:13am

Post #27 of 36 (103 views)
Shortcut
That's a lovely one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only seen it once, when it first came out, but it's stayed with me.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 20 2013, 4:04pm

Post #28 of 36 (122 views)
Shortcut
*scratches head* [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand that the stories are perceived to be anti-feminist. Yet here's a young lady standing up to vampires and wolves allowing neither to dictate how she manages her affections. I just don't see how Edward was controlling especially when you factor in the space Bella had to maintain her relationship with Jacob. If Edward was protective, it was because other vampires wanted her dead... could it be more obvious?

I wonder if the roles were reversed (ie Bella was the vampire and Edward the human) would it somehow be less objectionable?

The other thing I don't understand is the problem people have with Bella and Edward's devotion to each other (it was not a one sided relationship). The movies are fantasy...of course there's no diapers, there's lots of money for every little thing with no groceries to buy... I enjoyed the romance of that. Admittedly the setting was different than we're used to for this type of tale... perhaps if it played out in the dark ages, among royals?

ah well...

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 20 2013, 4:05pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 20 2013, 4:08pm

Post #29 of 36 (101 views)
Shortcut
I'm a little surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

That people that post about Twilight on a Tolkien board don't burst into flames and turn to dust like vampires. Wait, did I use the word Twilight, does that mean *poof*

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 20 2013, 4:10pm

Post #30 of 36 (104 views)
Shortcut
Remember the genre now -- [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't they turn to stone like trolls instead Tongue

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2013, 4:18pm

Post #31 of 36 (103 views)
Shortcut
I don't get it either [In reply to] Can't Post

but most of the Twilight discussions are more emotional than rational. People had an initial reaction to the movies or the books that has morphed into a reflection on society in general.

It's now cool to bash the Twilight story.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Mar 21 2013, 3:01am

Post #32 of 36 (149 views)
Shortcut
reaction to books -- movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I read Twilight around 2007 - because my granddaughter (then 12) wanted to read it and her mother wanted me to vet it for her as my daughter doesn't read "horror"

I felt it was a B novel.... okay but not great.... the characters were in some ways very stereotypical and there was a lot of angst but considering the target audience I though fine. My granddaughter read it and thought it was pretty good (her opinion has sense lowered a bit)

As the rest of the series was published we read them and discussed their inspirations and world creation and the importance of sticking to the rules you make for that world.......( From Wikipedia Each book in the series was inspired by and loosely based on a different literary classic: Twilight on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, New Moon on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, Eclipse on Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights, and Breaking Dawn on a second Shakespeare play, A Midsummer Night's Dream )

My granddaughter reads a lot and we've gone to the local Shakespeare festival and she's seen multiple versions of Pride and Prejudice..... so we had some decent discussions. For my part -- the books became (much like Harry Potter and some of Stephen King's books) inflated.... some decent editor needed to sit Meyer down and say FOCUS

When the films appeared we went and for Twilight and New Moon were "Okay... not as well adapted as we would have liked and sparkling vampires stilll make me cringe but it's not that bad we've definitely seen worse"

Eclipse (film) made us say Gag.... and Breaking Dawn Part One actually made us want our money back and we'd waited to go to the Dollar theater..... Breaking Dawn Part Two wasn't quite that bad but I still hate the whole... it's a dream bit.

The whole series is Okay but not Great.... and there's lots of that out there. B level .... definitely not A level.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 3:09pm

Post #33 of 36 (86 views)
Shortcut
um . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I made any of the statements that you are reacting to. My objection in this case is to the fantasy that Bella not only becomes a vampire, meaning she stays eternally young & beautiful, but Meyer breaks canon to let her have a child too . . . and then makes the child grow up so fast that Bella doesn't actually have to DO any of the work of child-raising.

And then they figure out a way to have a big battle where just about everyone dies, only as in the Star Trek universe there's a magic "reset" button where everything goes back to the way it was before.

It's a vampire story turned into a unicorns-and-fairy story, which violates both genres.

So in this case I'm not speaking as a feminist, but as a "story-ist."

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 5:26pm

Post #34 of 36 (70 views)
Shortcut
I kind of did too, at first. [In reply to] Can't Post

But then they were able to make the decision to go back a few years later, and it seemed like the loss of the little boy was what was stopping them. And yet it did seem like a forced, or maybe a panicked, evacuation. Anyway, I ordered a copy of the DVD, and it arrived yesterday :-) Now I'm listening to another selkie story, Gordon Bok's "Peter Kagan and the Wind".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 9:06pm

Post #35 of 36 (94 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sorry Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

I was mainly bouncing off your post, addressing some general issues that have been spoken before (though not by you). When I see the almost universal disdain for the movies -- I know nothing of the books -- I wonder if there's something wrong with me for liking them... especially in light of feminist critique, which I usually assent to.

Sorry for the confusion.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 21 2013, 10:29pm

Post #36 of 36 (74 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit that the best thing in the movies, for me (besides Lee Pace Wink ) is the moment that Bella stands up to Edward and tells him her reasons for wanting to become a vampire.

That conversation is not in the book.

(I think; I really did just skim them, so I could have missed it.)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.