Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What's With the Attitude, Gandy? And Other Quirky Observations

The Grey Elf
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 2:40am

Views: 1048
Shortcut
What's With the Attitude, Gandy? And Other Quirky Observations Can't Post

"He is here," says Gandalf in Bag End after three loud thumps on Bilbo's front door. Thorin is about to smolder his way into the premises, but his Grayness seems to utter those 3 little words with outright displeasure. I know the two characters aren't supposed to be chums but since Gandalf pretty much orchestrated the whole Erebor/dragon snuffing endeavor, that line reading just puzzles me. And how exactly did Gandalf expect a passle of dwarfs and one hobbit to destroy one of the most badass dragons ever? Anyone?

Observation deux - leaping to the end of the movie where Azog & co. tree the company. Our CGI villain makes a crack about Thorin's grampa reeking of fear. I thought he did this to taunt Thorin, but then what language was he speaking? How could Thorin have understood him? Or is the dwarf prince also multilingual like the wizard and this is why Gandalf becomes grumpy when his rival finally arrives at the party?

Finally, our company becomes a dwarf pileup several times in the movie and every time, Bombur winds up on top (excepting of course when it's the Goblin King's turn). Theory: the trolls' whole idea of squashing the dwarfs into jelly would never have worked because these blokes are as tough as jerky and therefore unsquishable.

Just my random impressions available for semi-serious discussion and debate : )

Subject User Time
What's With the Attitude, Gandy? And Other Quirky Observations The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Mar 21 2013, 2:40am
    I didn't note any attitude there. He seemed more proclaimative than displeased. However, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Mar 21 2013, 3:46am
        Really? Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 21 2013, 7:07am
            I just thought genuine curiosity/surprise would have sounded more fitting, not AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Mar 22 2013, 5:33pm
        I may be wrong axecrazy Send a private message to axecrazy Mar 21 2013, 4:28pm
            True, and Gandalf is in a hurry Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 21 2013, 4:37pm
                Indeed. axecrazy Send a private message to axecrazy Mar 21 2013, 5:00pm
            nicely said ByThorinsBeard Send a private message to ByThorinsBeard Mar 23 2013, 3:55pm
    ROFL marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Mar 21 2013, 4:26am
    A different perspective Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 21 2013, 4:50am
        old t. Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury Mar 21 2013, 5:20am
            I like the way you put it Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Mar 21 2013, 6:32am
                yes, Gandalf had to really hammer the deal together Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 21 2013, 2:45pm
                    Uh.... axecrazy Send a private message to axecrazy Mar 21 2013, 2:56pm
                        Ooops! Indeed was looking at dwarvenfury's post! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 21 2013, 3:10pm
    Another alternative. mefansmum Mar 21 2013, 8:23am
        This sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Mar 21 2013, 9:27am
    To me, Gandalf sounded a little apprehensive. Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 Mar 21 2013, 9:37am
    Azog mentions Thrain... Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Mar 21 2013, 9:38am
    Gandalf's attitude Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Mar 21 2013, 10:33am
    Indeed, Gandalf would consider Bag End The Grey Elf Send a private message to The Grey Elf Mar 21 2013, 11:54am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.