Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A nod to Fastitocalon in The Hobbit, AUJ?

FrodoTook
The Shire

Mar 21 2013, 1:43am

Post #1 of 9 (571 views)
Shortcut
A nod to Fastitocalon in The Hobbit, AUJ? Can't Post

Did anyone else think of Fastitocalon when they saw the "turtle kite" flying over Dale?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 21 2013, 2:51am

Post #2 of 9 (318 views)
Shortcut
Excellent observation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I was reminded of that as well Smile

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 9:58am

Post #3 of 9 (246 views)
Shortcut
Wow ...never thought about that! [In reply to] Can't Post

You might be on to something. I imagine the crane is the only creature they are "familiar" with, whereas the dragon is probably more of a mythological creature to them. I can't imagine they get sea turtles in Dale ... so yes ... maybe it is supposed to be another mythological creature (to them).

FrodoTook
The Shire

Mar 21 2013, 9:15pm

Post #4 of 9 (144 views)
Shortcut
I thank you Ara and Dan [In reply to] Can't Post

I thank you both for replying...for relating. Cool for me to know that yall relate. I thought it real cool to see the subtle reference to a very singular ( obscure to many ) poem from "The Tales of Tom Bombadil"..which I discovered in my copy of The Tolkien Reader. Way cool..my Tolkien friends. Thank you.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 12:51am

Post #5 of 9 (95 views)
Shortcut
It's always a pleasure [In reply to] Can't Post

to meet others who are Tolkien fans! Not just of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but of all of Tolkien's works. I love reading The Tolkien Reader, and all the poems are my favorites including Fastitocalon, the Stone Troll, the Mewlips (weird and scary!) and The Man in the Moon.

Have you also read Smith of Wootan Major and Farmer Giles of Ham? I love the dragon Chrysophylax Dives in Farmer Giles!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

FrodoTook
The Shire

Mar 22 2013, 1:17am

Post #6 of 9 (106 views)
Shortcut
Well met Ara. My pleasure. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I have read of Smith of Wootan Major and Farmer Giles of Ham.
Farmer Giles of Ham remains a favorite of mine and must say

Chrysophylax is a fine name for a dragon.

As is Ancalagon.

Of his many dragons, I especially enjoy
Glaurung and Smaug..his dragons who "speak" with evil cunning intelligence.

Those dragons remain my favorite characters.

I love to hate them and am in awe of them.

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 1:19am

Post #7 of 9 (96 views)
Shortcut
Love the mewlips! [In reply to] Can't Post

Weird as anything. There is a great video on youtube a fellow Torn member did a couple years ago. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ntMbUEjf0

FrodoTook
The Shire

Mar 22 2013, 2:23am

Post #8 of 9 (88 views)
Shortcut
imin. I Thank You. Very much. [In reply to] Can't Post

In preparation of enjoying your link, I opened my yellowed copy of The Tolkien Reader..to prose 9 of The Tales of Tom Bombadil..on page 45..and read along. Absolutely Glorious my friend.
To say I saved the link is a high compliment. It really was fun to read along..as I listened. Sincere Thanks imin. I highly recommend others check your link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ntMbUEjf0

(This post was edited by FrodoTook on Mar 22 2013, 2:31am)

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 2:34am

Post #9 of 9 (87 views)
Shortcut
No problem :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Pleased you liked it Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.