Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just watched my Hobbit DVD
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Glaurung63
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 12:15am

Post #1 of 45 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Just watched my Hobbit DVD Can't Post

Loved it....I don't have a blue ray player so I got the DVD version...major displays at my local Best Buy....now to watch the special features...can't wait to see the preview for DoS!!!! This will only get better...the combo pack sold includes a 3D version, I assume you must have certain glasses...

cats16
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 12:25am

Post #2 of 45 (620 views)
Shortcut
About to watch it myself! [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally took care of some things and now I can sit back and relax. I think I'll watch it all the way through, then I probably will consult gramma's list.

Be back in a few hours Wink

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 12:41am

Post #3 of 45 (599 views)
Shortcut
I was out of town [In reply to] Can't Post

and had to put a hold on my mail; it's delivery stars tomorrow. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 12:57am

Post #4 of 45 (653 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the 3D version... [In reply to] Can't Post

requires a 3D ready/enabled tv, a player capable of playing the 3D content and glasses. Most are that way now but you are indeed right, that there are some hardware requirements to enjoy that version of the film.

It's great to have the home version now, isn't it?

Enjoy the special features Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

FrodoTook
The Shire

Mar 21 2013, 1:13am

Post #5 of 45 (570 views)
Shortcut
Not got the DVD yet but did watch TH.AUJ "on demand" [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got through enjoyed seeing TH.AUJ for the first time in my home. I actually enjoyed it even more than I did in the theater.
That is saying "a lot" because I enjoyed my theater experience very much.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 1:14am

Post #6 of 45 (607 views)
Shortcut
I have the 3D version [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you need a 3D TV and a 3D Blu-ray to play it. Mine is an "active" 3D Blu-ray, which means that you have to use electronic 3D glasses to watch it (as opposed to the kind you wear in movies, which are "passive"). I have found that with the 3D you really need to ramp up the brightness to get a good picture. It is fun to watch it in 3D, although not the same as theater HFR 3D. But for pausing and general movie parsing, the regular Blu-ray is better (and is it crisp looking!).

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 1:15am

Post #7 of 45 (539 views)
Shortcut
Agreed :-)// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 1:42am

Post #8 of 45 (623 views)
Shortcut
I have a dumb question... [In reply to] Can't Post

I searched for a thread on this, but didn't find anything on it.

Does the special feature disc only play on Blu-ray? I've tried playing it in my hd-dvd player, and it won't load.

There's only a Blu-ray emblem on the disc, so I'm scared I can't see the special stuff... which would massively bum me out! How nasty is that if it can't be played on standard dvd!! *chin quivers* I wanna see! I wanna see!!

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 21 2013, 1:45am)

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 1:57am

Post #9 of 45 (557 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it has a blu-ray emblem on it, it will only be playable on a blu-ray player. Sorry :(

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 2:06am

Post #10 of 45 (543 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

That's stinky.

Thanks bborchar!! :) I'm glad to find out it's not just me being inept... AGAIN!

*high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 2:10am

Post #11 of 45 (519 views)
Shortcut
N/p at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that you're not missing much. The special features are mainly the vlogs, which you can find online, and there's nothing really new (information wise) about them. Hopefully that makes it a little better :)

Glaurung63
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 2:23am

Post #12 of 45 (540 views)
Shortcut
The special features are the video logs [In reply to] Can't Post

Which were totally freakin cool. But most of us have seen them...but we have the code for the DoS premiere ....cool!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 2:36am

Post #13 of 45 (499 views)
Shortcut
It is nice to have them in hd though, [In reply to] Can't Post

and to be able to watch them with the 'play all' function. I've watched them a couple of times already, even though i'd seen them countless times before.

Also, it was mentioned on another thread that there have been a few changes made, like the un-blurring of some of the artwork in the background, and switching out some of the music for music from the AUJ soundtrack. I haven't noticed this myself, though.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 2:55am

Post #14 of 45 (560 views)
Shortcut
I can't get over how [In reply to] Can't Post

awesome the picture is on Blu Ray. I can really see a difference compared to any other Blu Ray I've ever owned. Obviously, the 48fps really shines on this format. My entire family all commented on how incredible the picture is. I'm blown away....

cats16
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 4:42am

Post #15 of 45 (468 views)
Shortcut
I really need to buy that darn Blu-Ray player [In reply to] Can't Post

Just finished watching the dvd. Don't get me wrong, it still looks awesome. But how can I see it the same after HFR in theaters? Going off of everyone's good comments on the Blu-Ray quality, I think I'll just go ahead and buy the player. I'm also wondering if the quality of tv that I watched it on is poor...maybe I should try it on the one in the living room.

On a side note, I guess the "lesser" quality of the dvd does make the film feel a lot like LOTR (in a good way, lol). Looks just like it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 9:08am

Post #16 of 45 (435 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray doesn't do HFR, [In reply to] Can't Post

just HD.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 9:52am

Post #17 of 45 (390 views)
Shortcut
You're more than welcome to fly to the UK, and play it on my player! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

We're still waiting for the DVD here. I'd happily watch the special features with you!

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 12:36pm

Post #18 of 45 (362 views)
Shortcut
My kids were watching it [In reply to] Can't Post

on the normal DVD player with the regular disc and we could notice the difference immediately. The Blu Ray is far superior and it's quite obvious. If you get the Blu Ray player, make sure it has WIFI built in for easy updates...Sly

cats16
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 3:49pm

Post #19 of 45 (288 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, I will! // [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 5:30pm

Post #20 of 45 (301 views)
Shortcut
*&^*&^%*&^%*&^%*#%$#^ blu ray.... [In reply to] Can't Post

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

I have the same issue. Every DVD release has all the good stuff on the blu-ray. I can play my movie on my computer. Period. The TV is a gift, and is from somewhere in the Viking Age, I think, so won't accomodate any sort of player, much less blu-ray. So I go to my friends' house, give them the blu-ray part, watch the blup-ray parts on their TV, then go home and watch the widdlypiddly extras on the DVD.

At least I can watch the film again. And the commentary.

I hate this march of technology, when will they get that I DON'T WANT TO GO BUY MORE ELECTRONIC STUFF!!!!

Yes, I am a ludite. I am now going to go look for a new van... so far the possibilities were all born before the 21st century...

Go outside and play...

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 21 2013, 7:03pm

Post #21 of 45 (268 views)
Shortcut
Life moves forward [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just how it is. Life moves forward and technology advances. Either you move forward with it or accept that you're going to get left behind. You can't honestly get upset with the rest of us if we're interested in moving forward.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 7:49pm

Post #22 of 45 (284 views)
Shortcut
You can get an outboard blu-ray player for your laptop [In reply to] Can't Post

for not too much. I got one for my iMac when the cd drive went out (instead of getting it fixed, which was costlier and too complicated). I got mine for 60 bucks, but there were less expensive options. It's worked out extremely well-- just plug it in and download the software.

morgul lord
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 11:59pm

Post #23 of 45 (225 views)
Shortcut
Watching the DVD made me love the film even MORE. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, I have to say... Radagast has become one of my very favourite parts of the whole film. The Radagast-haters are all wrong. :)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 22 2013, 1:00am

Post #24 of 45 (199 views)
Shortcut
*smile spreads* It does! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the vlogs, but it helps to know that there's nothing brand new hovering just out of my reach :D

DANKA MUCHLY!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 22 2013, 1:02am

Post #25 of 45 (211 views)
Shortcut
Don't Tempt Me!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez, DanielLB... that would be FABULOUS!!! :D *sigh* What torture for you to have to wait so long with all the conversations going on.

Hang in there my friend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.