Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Impossible ending for TABA, but would be beautiful.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 3:27pm

Post #1 of 28 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Impossible ending for TABA, but would be beautiful. Can't Post

Now, it has been years since i read the lotr books and Silmarillion so no hate if i am having wrong about some stuff. :)

I would love if the ending for TABA would be the ROTK ending, but we follow Bilbo to Valinor and when he arrives he meets dead Thorin,Kili,Fili,Balin,Ori and possible Beorn and all the other dwarfs of the company that died after Hobbit . I am though sure that dead people/creatures doesn't go to Valinor, but it would be such a heartbreaking and tearful moment and with a beautiful piece of Shire/Bilbo theme in the background and Dwarfs theme when they are coming.

As i said, i am not sure if the dead goes to Valinor or if it's only Elfs and other creatures that has been "invited" there to stay and live forever.

Tell me what you think or if you have a another endning you would love it too be :)

(This post was edited by DuBekar on Mar 20 2013, 3:28pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Mar 20 2013, 3:39pm

Post #2 of 28 (608 views)
Shortcut
I too think ending it post War of the Ring events would be an awesome touch [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether we see the Dwarves I don't know...but the ending pov could be old Bilbo boarding the ship, at least.

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 3:40pm

Post #3 of 28 (600 views)
Shortcut
Possible or not I'm a mess just thinking about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

*weeps*

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 3:53pm

Post #4 of 28 (551 views)
Shortcut
This part of "In dreams" would be tearfully :((( [In reply to] Can't Post

http://open.spotify.com/track/74fHDaJhXPiZSySUDfizf3
If you got Spotify, listen 2:15 - 2:43

Otherwise the Youtube video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC_h82XPBbU

Imagine that part when Bilbo sees Thorin and company and gets so happy :')

(This post was edited by DuBekar on Mar 20 2013, 3:54pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 20 2013, 4:00pm

Post #5 of 28 (579 views)
Shortcut
Except [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice idea, except that it's not in any way canon. The only Third and Fourth age special exceptions to journey to Valinor were the Ringbearers that got to go, and it's hinted that Legolas brought Gimli many years later. However they all had to do with the Ring quest.

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 4:02pm

Post #6 of 28 (524 views)
Shortcut
Sam too right? [In reply to] Can't Post

If i recall, didn't Sam also go to Valinor right before he died and met Frodo?

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 20 2013, 4:04pm

Post #7 of 28 (528 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he did [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam was a ringbearer for a short while.

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 4:05pm

Post #8 of 28 (500 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Exactly :D Just wanted to be sure if i have been wrong all these years haha.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Mar 20 2013, 4:16pm

Post #9 of 28 (498 views)
Shortcut
Sort of reminds me of... [In reply to] Can't Post

when Luke sees Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda at the end of Return of the Jedi. I'm picturing a row of spectral dwarves smiling and waving at Bilbo Laugh

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 20 2013, 4:18pm

Post #10 of 28 (525 views)
Shortcut
No thanks!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Far too big a departure from the books, in no way cannon or suggested in the book, and a uncessary way to drag out the films. Thorin and Co 'go to the halls of waiting' set aprt from the elves anyway so they wouldn't necessarily even be anywhere near Valinor.

I'd much rather see Balin's visit to the shire, crss cut with hsi death in Moria, a epic, but heartbreaking end to tie togther the two trilogies, and in line with the books as well.

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 4:25pm

Post #11 of 28 (469 views)
Shortcut
Halls of waiting [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't Halls of waiting ON Valinor? :O

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 20 2013, 4:26pm

Post #12 of 28 (481 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of the LOST ending [In reply to] Can't Post

And that turned out rubbish ...

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Mar 20 2013, 4:30pm

Post #13 of 28 (495 views)
Shortcut
Balin, Durin's Bane and Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree this needs to be addressed. I'm just not sure how far they're going to want to go with the sadness factor, considering what happens with Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 20 2013, 4:36pm

Post #14 of 28 (455 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

...been I while since I read the sil, but I thought the halls of the dwarves were set apart from the other races on the borders of Valinor, though I'm probaly wrong...

ĎAs they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ĎAll is now ready.í

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 20 2013, 5:01pm

Post #15 of 28 (474 views)
Shortcut
It is mentioned (briefly) in The Silmarillion: [In reply to] Can't Post

Aforetime it was held among the Elves in Middle-earth that dying the Dwarves returned to the earth and the stone of which they were made; yet that is not their own belief. For they say that Aulő the Maker, whom they call Mahal, cares for them, and gathers them to Mandos in halls set apart; and that he declared to their Fathers of old that Iluvatar will hallow them and give them a place among the Children in the End. Then their part shall be to serve Aulő and to aid him in the remaking of Arda after the Last Battle. They say also that the Seven Fathers of the Dwarves return to live again in their own kin and to bear once more their ancient names: of whom Durin was the most renowned in after ages, father of that kindred most friendly to the Elves, whose mansions were at Khazad-dum.

Dwarves do remain in the Circles of the World, in the Halls of Aule.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 20 2013, 5:04pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 5:40pm

Post #16 of 28 (391 views)
Shortcut
Well, i'd say the on-island stuff in the finale was brilliant, [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the very end, with Vincent lying next to Jack, and the plane, with the rest of the 815ers, flying overhead. That was perfect. But i agree, the off-island, flash-sideways stuff was a huge let down.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 20 2013, 6:33pm

Post #17 of 28 (365 views)
Shortcut
Yes, sadness factor [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they can go too far with that. For me I think the ending is going to be sadder than the ending of LOTR, because I care about the characters more.

In Reply To
I agree this needs to be addressed. I'm just not sure how far they're going to want to go with the sadness factor, considering what happens with Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 20 2013, 6:40pm

Post #18 of 28 (378 views)
Shortcut
I think some things are best left to imagination... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a nice idea, but it could go horribly wrong if they tried to make it happen on screen. Far better not to try to film Valinor, it would only limit it.

The ending I'd like to see if Gandalf and Balin visiting Bilbo years later, like they do in the book

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 20 2013, 7:45pm

Post #19 of 28 (336 views)
Shortcut
Once you realize... [In reply to] Can't Post

That everything in the show fits into place if the Island itself was a purgatory of sorts, it's easier to forgive the ending, and I actually love it.

Flash-sideways was a roundabout way to get to the same ending they had planned for the show initially. Unfortunately, everyone guessed that the Island was purgatory early on, and the show became very popular. Hence the flash-sideways.

If the show had ended after season 1, I guarantee the same church scene at the end would have happened on the Island. This is why Christians body was not in the coffin (it wasn't really the smoke monster). Because everyone died in the crash.

Sorry...I got caught up in my Lost fandom for a moment.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 20 2013, 7:49pm

Post #20 of 28 (316 views)
Shortcut
I think that's the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

That everyone had guessed what the Island was before the end. I was left dis-satisfied with the ending. I wanted something a bit more substantial, and extraordinary. But also, the quality of the episodes declined after around series 3. Hey ho. I enjoyed it while it was on anyway.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 8:28pm

Post #21 of 28 (305 views)
Shortcut
Lost was so good for so long [In reply to] Can't Post

that i'm willing to forgive the lame ending to the sideways "purgatory". And the sideways world did have a quite a few bright spots, especially anything to do with Hurley, Locke and Ben. Even Jack's story, with his "son", was well-done. And all the characters' "realizations" were pretty awesome. It's just the way it ended, really-- even up to the last minute, i thought Desmond was going to do something that brought the sideways world in line with the real world. No such luck. But, like i said, the other half of the final season was pretty great (well, the Temple story started to drag a bit before the Man In Black took care of that), and the last few hours of the on-Island story were just brilliant, so i'll take what i can get. But Lost was so consistantly great for so long, it will probably always be in my top 5 shows of all time. That doesn't mean that i don't see when it wasn't so great, though (Nikki and Paulo?! Bai Ling?! The Cages?!).

DuBekar
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 9:32pm

Post #22 of 28 (272 views)
Shortcut
or... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's a nice idea, but it could go horribly wrong if they tried to make it happen on screen. Far better not to try to film Valinor, it would only limit it.

The ending I'd like to see if Gandalf and Balin visiting Bilbo years later, like they do in the book

Or it could end where AUJ began, but with Bilbo opens the door to Gandalf and they hug and the camera slowly moves away, maybe too cheesy but hey! Smile

cats16
Valinor

Mar 20 2013, 11:19pm

Post #23 of 28 (231 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still picturing TABA ending with Bilbo back on the bench he is sitting on when it cuts to the events of AUJ 60 years earlier. All of the events of the book still happen (Balin visiting, etc.), but it's all before Bilbo's flashback on the bench ends. I think it would be awesome if we would follow Bilbo back into Bag End and see him making his final mental/emotional preparations for leaving that night at the party for Rivendell. Maybe he even still plans to go back to Erebor and Mirkwood. That would sure give that line in Rivendell about going back a lot more meaning behind it. I also think we should see some hints to the negative effects the Ring has had on him over the years. Something small that easily shows it's power over him. While doing this, he is interrupted when Lobelia knocks at the door, trying to see Bilbo. She leaves, planning to come back later (when Gandalf is there in FOTR). I think this would be a very cool link between what's happening at the end of one trilogy, and the beginning of the other. Because PJ has compressed time in many ways in this universe, it seems like there should be a very smooth flow between TH and LOTR's timelines. The idea is that anyone could watch TH trilogy, without having seen LOTR, and be able to follow what's going on.

I would make the last shot of the film, in some way, involving the Ring. Not menacingly, because we've just been on a roller coaster for the rest of TABA. A slightly ominous ending would be pretty interesting. We can be enticed to see how this small, seemingly insignificant thing will cause a lot of trouble later on.

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 1:43am

Post #24 of 28 (189 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
especially the very end, with Vincent lying next to Jack, and the plane, with the rest of the 815ers, flying overhead. That was perfect. But i agree, the off-island, flash-sideways stuff was a huge let down.

I actually really like the Lost finale. I thought the show lost(haha) it's way during it's last few seasons but I did really like the finale, both the on-island stuff and the "flash sideways" , which was basically happening in all of their "after lives". The island stuff in the finale was real life, the flash sideways were after life.

I loved the very end with Jack, Vincent and the plane.

That said, while it would be nice to see some sort of thing with Bilbo and the dwarves AFTER, especially with how sad Thorin, Kili and Fili's ends are, I do tend to think it might be a bit corny or just out of place to have them greeting Bilbo in Valinor(or them making a pit stop at the Halls of Waiting on the way to Valinor to pay a visit:)). I can't help but think whatever they came up for Valinor would somehow be disappointing.

glor
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 11:09am

Post #25 of 28 (128 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The ending of Lost ruined the entire series for me, worse ending in TV history.

I wish they hadn't explained anything, like the original 60s The Prisoner, people would have watched it for decades debating what it was really about, and exploring the themes and motives contained within.

Instead we got Pilgrim's Progress for the 20th Century.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.