Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2013, 5:23pm

Post #1 of 22 (191 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

We're walking, we're running, we're swimming, we're gardening... and all other manner of exercise here at the Walk to Rivendell. Not to mention the party some of us are having as they meet up near Weathertop in their personal journeys, which is just awesome!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 184.33 (wow!)
Cumulative miles: 12135.23
Miles along the journey: 809.02
Miles out of Rivendell: 412.02

Okay, things are about to get bad here. There's a stream just ahead of us and I know, I just know, somebody's going to fall in. I just hope it's not Bombur...

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 7
Cumulative miles: 489
Goal: There and Back Again!

Better miles for me, this week (yay!). The most fun was the half-mile I did with my Hobbit last night at his school gym night. I surprised myself, too, doing 70 successful jumps on the one-minute jump rope challenge. Going to choir practice right after it was rather... interesting... I don't think I caught me breath 'til after the rehearsal!

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 486
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Mar 14 2013, 5:24pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 14 2013, 5:42pm

Post #2 of 22 (114 views)
Shortcut
Mind if I start contributing miles again? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to dig through my posts to see where I left off, but I can add 3 miles to our journey this week. Most of those spent antique shopping this weekend. I think Bilbo would have enjoyed that!

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2013, 5:47pm

Post #3 of 22 (111 views)
Shortcut
Mind? Do I mind?!? *huge grin* [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you kidding? WELCOME BACK! *one of gramma's big flying-tackle hugs*

*collects self* And you have 885 miles so far. Plus three more for this week.

CoolCoolCool

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 14 2013, 6:50pm

Post #4 of 22 (111 views)
Shortcut
My week... [In reply to] Can't Post

So, despite the sudden return of winter here, I've managed to get outside a bit... But seriously, what is it with the snow here? My town had the so-called Summer Day Parade complete with the ritual burning of a fake snowman in the market square last Sunday (really, they do this every year - this year was actually the 111th parade...), which is supposed to drive out Winter and usher in Spring. Yeah, right. On Monday the temperature dropped and it began to snow. Seems like the weather gods didn't get that memo about the snowman burning and all.

Miles covered this week: 38.9
Cumulative miles: 256

I'm still somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Landscape is a bit monotonous. No adventures to report. I suppose 'no adventures' is good, right?

(This post was edited by Angharad73 on Mar 14 2013, 6:51pm)

Delrond
Rohan

Mar 14 2013, 8:40pm

Post #5 of 22 (111 views)
Shortcut
Out of the winter doldrums. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, fellow walkers, runners, bikers, hikers, snow shovelers, antiquers, swimmers and jammie wearers. It seems like forever, but it has only been 6 weeks since my last check in. We have been busy with many activities for Little D, among other things. For my part, I have stuck to my routine of running and circuit training in preparation for the Spring 5k season. It began last week and I was able to eke out another personal best by 2 seconds. That's a good place to start considering the pb I just topped was in the last race of the Winter season. Remember the blue santa hat in the sea of red? That one.

Anyway, I have scheduled 4 races this spring, including one while on vacation. Take care all, and have a great weekend. And, of course, thanks Arandiel for keeping us motivated.

My progress:
Miles covered over the past 6 weeks: 108.9
Cumulative miles: 1437.7

Some of Beorn's house guests have joined us as we near his home. Only 15 miles to go, and the road, while cold outside, is a clear and well-worn path. Should be the by next week.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2013, 10:44pm

Post #6 of 22 (108 views)
Shortcut
My miles [In reply to] Can't Post

This week I can contribute 30.3 miles! (Over a foot of snow fell Friday, so lots of shovelling and snowblowing along with the usual walks with my dog.)

Which puts me past Weathertop, heading down into the Wild Lands.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2013, 4:12pm

Post #7 of 22 (101 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, 'uninteresting' can be a good thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

... though the parade sounds like fun! Smile

I don't suppose you could send any of your snow to Colorado? At this rate, it won't be long before our entire state is on water restrictions because of the drought. Just as I was starting to ponder my garden, trying to figure out how to get some digging miles in. sigh.

Well, have a good week - the boring bits don't last forever, and neither does winter!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2013, 4:17pm

Post #8 of 22 (85 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the new personal best, Delrond! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's good to hear how things are going for you 'n yours. I know how it goes with kid activities - never a dull moment!

Here's to more new pbs this Spring, and thanks for the update!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2013, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 22 (97 views)
Shortcut
As gramma says, "Zoom!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Those snow-clearing miles do add up, don't they? Did you get a chance to high-five gramma, at least, as you shoveled on by each other? Wink

Have a great next week, and watch out for those rocks and potholes in the Lone-lands!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 2:39am

Post #10 of 22 (92 views)
Shortcut
Moot Map Within [In reply to] Can't Post

So I hear the Great East Road is really crowded right now!! I've put together a little map with a rough guess-timate of where we all are for a Moot this week. I've got a basket of Beorn's honeycakes, some dried fruit, and mushrooms all set for a picnic! Can't wait to see everyone ;)

Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road Arandiel! Glad to see you skipping along with your Fellowship ;)

Cheers everyone... and have a great weekend!
Miles covered: 22
Cumulated miles: 1844
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 2:44am

Post #11 of 22 (79 views)
Shortcut
Awesome!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I love antique shopping, and yard sales, and flea markets...

It's so great to have you back :D *huggles*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 2:51am

Post #12 of 22 (91 views)
Shortcut
Eleventy-first Snowman Burning? Barbaric! [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE IT! By the end of winter, I'd be very happy to join in any festivity that would officially send it off. Figures it would snow the next day ;) Payback is nasty!

I hope you're having a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 2:56am

Post #13 of 22 (84 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Zooom! Zoom! No wonder you've been gone!! You've been GONE!!! *high five* SO well done, Delrond! And big-time congratulations on topping your personal best. I'm so happy for you! WOW!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 2:58am

Post #14 of 22 (80 views)
Shortcut
Zooom, fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't mind shovelling snow... if it wasn't so cold ;) Well Done!!!! Check out the map in my post :D

See you on the road!

MOOT! MOOT! MOOT!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Mar 17 2013, 5:40pm

Post #15 of 22 (78 views)
Shortcut
my mileage.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, just as I suspected--I forgot yesterday to show my mileage. Bugger. Ah well. Here you guys go!

last week: 12 miles
cumulative:924.8
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge

I just reached Lothlorian on the Middle Earth track! Ha! Now the next one...whichever one that is... Cool I hope all of you are getting your fair share of sunshine and spring! I'm so excited to see some flowers blooming--especially the apricot trees around the neighborhood! They are so gorgeous!Heart

Keep up the excellent work guys!!!Laugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Mar 17 2013, 5:47pm

Post #16 of 22 (82 views)
Shortcut
Week 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy St. Padraig's Day!

Miles this week: 6
Total: 126.45
Personal Goal: Erebor
This Goal's Miles: 46.35

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2013, 7:32pm

Post #17 of 22 (71 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow, that's a cool map, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

And that picnic sounds scrumptious!

And I'll just add, thanks for being such a great encourager to us all - the Walk to Rivendell's a lot more fun with you cheering everyone on!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2013, 7:38pm

Post #18 of 22 (70 views)
Shortcut
Yay, Spring! [In reply to] Can't Post

And for those in the Southern Hemisphere, yay, Fall! I like those inbetween seasons best, myself.

Glad you're enjoying it, Iolani!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2013, 7:40pm

Post #19 of 22 (66 views)
Shortcut
And to you, Joe-M!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 18 2013, 7:51pm

Post #20 of 22 (70 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

*Waving to gramma!*

That map is great!

I've got some seed cake and tea for the picnic if anyone is interested. Might have something a bit stronger than tea in my bag somewhere, too (purely for medicinal purposes, of course Tongue).

Delrond
Rohan

Mar 19 2013, 10:35am

Post #21 of 22 (95 views)
Shortcut
I'll tell Beorn you are enjoying his honeycakes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Won't be long and he'll be serving them up to us!

I wonder if anyone else is closing in on Beorn's home. Arandiel?Smile

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 20 2013, 3:35pm

Post #22 of 22 (76 views)
Shortcut
Weekly Miles [In reply to] Can't Post

This week's miles: 25 miles
Total miles: 250 miles

I am on the east side of Weathertop and I can hardly wait to get out of here. Hey Grandma, are you still in the area?

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.