Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
I thought the love

imin
Valinor

Mar 19 2013, 2:09am

Views: 451
Shortcut
I thought the love [In reply to] Can't Post

of the Vanyar from Manwe and Varda was down to the Vanyar's skill in poetry? Not because the Valar loved blondes.

I have dark brown hair myself but i don't even think about hair colour - i mean luthien after all had dark hair and did way more impressive things than Galadriel. And went with Beren - dark hair as were all his kin.

I like the idea of how Galadriel came to have her hair colour but is still one of the Noldor and the significance it then plays from denying Feanor some and then accepting the request from Gimli a dwarf no less thousands of years later.

For me there is enough times a person with dark hair or silver hair (different to blonde) do something of merit for me to not be bothered by this.

It did used to seem odd to me that mostly people of great height had the most merit - often it is just to differentiate the person though and as others have said if you are proportionate then being taller is advantageous in almost all aspects of life.

I am of average height and again don't mind. I also like how hobbits who appear so useless upon first impression have a great deal in reserve.

Subject User Time
tolkien's linking of physical beauty with merit Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 18 2013, 2:05am
    Blonde elves are fairly rare. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 18 2013, 4:34am
        but rarity does not negate the (general) correlation tolkien makes between beauty/merit and (to a lesser extent) blond/merit Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 18 2013, 11:20am
            I thought the love imin Send a private message to imin Mar 19 2013, 2:09am
    I agree with you... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Mar 18 2013, 2:01pm
        Another agreement CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 18 2013, 3:57pm
            Tall Tales Of The Tall PhantomS Send a private message to PhantomS Mar 21 2013, 3:37pm
                Phantom S ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Mar 22 2013, 11:41am
            history and fairy tale traditions Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 21 2013, 11:23pm
        yes, i do find that contrast intriguing Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 21 2013, 11:15pm
    I understand your issue. sador Send a private message to sador Mar 18 2013, 4:20pm
        "Fair" = "beautiful" (not just light-colored). Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 18 2013, 10:41pm
            Good point Elizabeth SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Mar 22 2013, 4:08am
        fallen worlds / proximity to grace Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 21 2013, 11:31pm
            We cross-posted here! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 21 2013, 11:41pm
                x-post! Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 22 2013, 12:19am
                    ***Bows!**** Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 22 2013, 1:45am
    Aragorn at Bree Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Mar 19 2013, 3:04pm
        Yes Indeed IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Mar 19 2013, 5:35pm
            I like where you are going here Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 21 2013, 11:38pm
    or is it merit, then beauty? telain Send a private message to telain Mar 19 2013, 10:53pm
        beauty Nerven Send a private message to Nerven Mar 21 2013, 12:44am
            yes... telain Send a private message to telain Mar 21 2013, 5:07pm
            small correction: silver-blond Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 21 2013, 11:37pm
        oh, carp -- Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 22 2013, 12:26am
    I'm not sure aout the height thing... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Mar 21 2013, 9:51am
    Try crossing average height by country, Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Mar 21 2013, 6:19pm
        ... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 21 2013, 11:58pm
    by the way, +thank you+ Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 22 2013, 12:06am
        Re: dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Mar 22 2013, 11:41am
            grace Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 23 2013, 4:01am
                Associating physical attractiveness with virtue- widespread human error noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 30 2013, 5:13pm
                    Description of Frodo: Tall and fair: sound familiar? CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 30 2013, 6:38pm
                        So we can have Grace Jones guarding the citadel, then? :) // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 30 2013, 6:41pm
                            She's pretty darn intimidating. Which explains why the Nazgul wouldn't land there.// CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 30 2013, 6:43pm
    beauty is subjective... Brennil Caladiel Send a private message to Brennil Caladiel Apr 30 2013, 2:00am
        agreed that beauty is subjective Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Apr 30 2013, 2:23am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.