Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
With which LotR castings were you unhappy?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 5:58pm

Post #1 of 36 (994 views)
Shortcut
With which LotR castings were you unhappy? Can't Post

To take a break from this Hobbity madness/goodness (whatever you call dressing up as a dwarf for a midnight premiere of AUJ), let's go back to LotR.

Was there any character whose portrayal you weren't satisfied with? If so, who would you rather have cast? Or did you just love every one of them, like I do?

Please don't say Ian McKellen as Gandalf. He's perfect.

Smile

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Elutherian
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 6:09pm

Post #2 of 36 (628 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I was unhappy with anyone... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I guess I could see Eomer and Faramir getting some better renditions, but that's mostly due to the writing and not the acting per-say.

Haldir and Celebor were definitely off a bit.

But of course, Ian McKellan is the single greatest casting made in the trilogy. Smile

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Mar 16 2013, 6:10pm)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 6:13pm

Post #3 of 36 (599 views)
Shortcut
Celeborn's dialogue in Lorien was a bit odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

His monotonous tone bothered me.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace. For I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 16 2013, 6:25pm

Post #4 of 36 (593 views)
Shortcut
It would've been nice for Celeborn to have more screentime [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why (he's not particularly important), or how (without the audience getting bored). I was hoping we would see him sometime in The Hobbit.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Post #5 of 36 (612 views)
Shortcut
In all seriousness [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I could ever forgive anyone who says McKellen's casting is bad, even family members. Laugh

Generally great casting, though I'm not entirely sold on Elijah's Frodo. But credit where it's due, he had three films to carry (which he did well I think), and I always found it very hard to picture Frodo for some reason, thus I didn't have a firm image of what he was meant to be like.

I know that the Elves were meant to be dry but many, particularly Celeborn, were just too expressionless. However, as far as Elves are concerned Cate Blanchett and Hugo Weaving gave standout performances, still playing the ethereal side without sounding monotonous. I can bear Orlando Bloom in LotR, though I admit I find them terribly dull in anything else (sorry to any of his fans out there but I must speak my mind).

So really only one or two small gripes with the casting. I felt the Mouth of Sauron could have been portrayed better though.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

RangerLady23
Lorien

Post #6 of 36 (584 views)
Shortcut
Casting was perfect... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I thought Eowyn could have been a little closer to the books, but then again it may be more to do with writing than with acting. Ian McKellen is wonderful and matches perfectly my vision of Gandalf and Elijah Wood is the only person I think could ever play our dear Frodo. Aragorn is now pictured as Viggo no matter if I'm reading the books or watching the silly animated versions or just thinking of the character in my head. I think that everyone did an amazing job and they did a great job getting Sean Bean and David Wenham to play brothers. Can i picture anyone else playing Legolas? Uh... I think not!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 6:30pm

Post #7 of 36 (612 views)
Shortcut
At first, I wasn't very fond of Elijah Wood's Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

But he grew on me. Taking his age into consideration, he did well.

Legolas had a few moments where he just seemed to stare into nothingness. I liked most of his performance, though.

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Mar 16 2013, 6:34pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 6:37pm

Post #8 of 36 (562 views)
Shortcut
Nothing is perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me (and possibly some other), Ian's face brought back / blended with the super-villain Magneto.

This didn't ruin the experience by any means. I just won't say that anything is really quite perfect.
He was pretty convincing and adorable as Gandalf, though! I'm happy with it.

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 6:51pm

Post #9 of 36 (574 views)
Shortcut
I am going to practice being critical about casting now. [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually totally bail on criticizing casting choices since that does nothing to enhance the viewing experience Tongue.

I think Ian McKellan was a gift to the production of LotR, not only for his performance, but also for his knowledge about the story. I'd say that the same goes for Christopher Lee as Saruman - perhaps even more so. It is too hard to tell who was the greater gift. Both had played wizardous sorts in the past and knew their parts and the story well from what I could tell.

Eomer: I was convinced. I think it was also nice to have him on board because of his familiarity with NZ.

Faramir: It worked for me but if I had to be critical ... perhaps he could have come across as being sharper, being a student of Gandalf. Maybe that was just cut out alongside the the shifts toward a less alabaster purity for that character and to avoid the extra complexity involved in showing the connection between him and Gandalf.

Haldir: For a character that is supposed to have few lines and be a leader of the fantastically elegant and supremely beautiful Lorien elves, maybe they could have picked someone with a bit more of a handsome appearance. Maybe that is just a matter of taste. Maybe they were trying to make sure the leads were the prettiest eye candy. That could be. I think that is an important consideration when casting, isn't it? So maybe I take that back.

Celeborn: Again, the guy wasn't supposed to have too many lines since they were simplifying things so much. In that case, I don't really have a problem with the stoic and ethereal portrayal. I guess that the voice was a bit monotone now that I think of it, but it was kind of melodic in a way too that worked fine to me.

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 7:06pm

Post #10 of 36 (568 views)
Shortcut
More practice ... sorry if this gets spammy ... [In reply to] Can't Post

it helps to see what other people say to think about this thing that I usually don't think about much ...

In all honesty, for a certain target audience, I really think that Orlando and Elijah's faces (especially Elijah's eyes) sold this movie - alongside the rugged Viggo and lovely Liv Tyler. Looks are important in film - this is why I don't act on stage to a large degree Angelic.

I think that Elijah's Frodo was not quite fitting to the book, but I liked it better - call me a sucker if you like. But the book Frodo had much more of an edge and was much more "in charge" and ... kind of bossy. Elijah sold Frodo to me in a way the book never did.

Orlando has such a following as Legolas that I really doubt anyone else could have pulled it off. In this case acting with beautiful eyes staring at the camera may have been both perfect for simplifying the story and pulling the audience in.

To a large degree, in comparison to TH and the Sil, LOTR was a lot about beautiful things passing away in the change of the ages. So while I feel TH needed more than eye-candy and charm ... it needed humor and characterization to make people care what happens next on a closer level ... LotR worked great as a work of just capturing beauty in many forms as it passes from the world and from various angles of desire and longing for it. I think the Sil is more about power-politics ... but also largely about beautiful things again and the desire to possess them ... actually maybe even more so than LotR.

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 7:17pm

Post #11 of 36 (542 views)
Shortcut
I can't think of better choices for casting, myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

But that could be because of inexperience etc.

Eowyn: I thought Miranda Otto played out the emotions in quite a compelling way. She did a great job, I think. Again, I think there may have been a desire to make Arwen more of the strongest leading lady so I think I thought of Eowyn as perhaps a stronger and less fragile appearing person - but Miranda was a perfect softened Eowyn that wouldn't pose too much of a threat to Arwen in the movie. It was an interesting mix of cold chill and running tears that I think isn't easy to pull off well - but she did it.

Viggo as Aragorn seems a bit less tall and Military-grade tough than I would have imagined Aragorn from the book. But he did the rugged adventurer part pretty well and I think that the striking looks were of key importance as well Angelic.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 9:04pm

Post #12 of 36 (543 views)
Shortcut
With Which Grammatically Correct [In reply to] Can't Post

poster are you most happy? BoromirofWinterfell.
I liked all of the casting choices for LOTR. What I didn't care for was the change in the characters. Merry and Pippin are the eldest sons of noble houses (such as they are in The Shire). They are not truants. Faramir is sad and noble and more like a littler brother of Aragorn (whom he most resembles) than Boromir. The changes to Aragorn were the worst in my opinion.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 9:18pm

Post #13 of 36 (526 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The changes to Aragorn were the worst in my opinion.

Which changes to Aragorn bothered you the most?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 10:30pm

Post #14 of 36 (568 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, at first it was Elijah Wood, just because his accent wasn't quite there (and never really got there), but i quickly got used to it. Then it was Viggo Mortensen, because i thought he was great as the down and dirty Strider, but not so great as Aragorn the king. But i've since gotten used to that too. Lately, it's been Miranda Otto's Eowyn. Not because of the actor-- she's rather good. But her character in The Two Towers is kind of annoying, and her story goes nowhere, since we all know, and always have known, that Arwen's the one for Aragorn. But that's more the fault of the writers and not the actor. She really redeems herself, though, in Return of the King, and i love it when she kicks the Witch King's a**. Every other actor/character is either great (Sean Astin, Christopher Lee), brilliant (Sean Bean, Bernard Hill), or genius (Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen). So it's all good to me.

imin
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 10:57pm

Post #15 of 36 (522 views)
Shortcut
Celeborn [In reply to] Can't Post

Poorly acted and had a clear 5 o'clock shadow which annoyed the hell out of me.

Haldir also just didn't quite look right and had the same beard problem.

I think someone could play the role of Frodo better but i dont hate Elijah or feel unhappy about it.

As others have said most of the cast were fantastic.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 17 2013, 12:04am

Post #16 of 36 (546 views)
Shortcut
Not unhappy, exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I probably would have cast Elrond and Arwen differently. Not that either of them did a bad job, and I'm reconciled now, but neither really fit my mental image either. I'd have loved Jason Isaacs for Elrond, if Harry Potter hadn't gotten to him first. I'm not sure who I would have cast as Arwen, though. A young Catherine Zeta Jones, perhaps, if I could bend time.

Silverlode

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 2:14am

Post #17 of 36 (517 views)
Shortcut
Jason Isaacs would have made a great [In reply to] Can't Post

Celeborn!

Hello to Jason Isaacs.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 17 2013, 5:05am

Post #18 of 36 (509 views)
Shortcut
Well, he looks a lot like Marton Csokas... [In reply to] Can't Post

And he is a good actor. Could've worked.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 9:20am

Post #19 of 36 (486 views)
Shortcut
I always thought Liv Tyler was great [In reply to] Can't Post

as Arwen, and i especially loved her voice. The way she first appears, and how Frodo sees her, is amazing. But i remember thinking Hugo Weaving was an odd choice the first few of times i saw Fellowship. He didn't seem very "elf" like, or something, and seemed a little testy, a little full of himself. But now i love him as Elrond. I like that he's more down-to-earth than the Lothlorien elves, and that he's a bit grumpy at times. And he's more likely to joke around than some of those other elves. I attribute it to his Half-elven-ness. Now, i wouldn't want anyone else in the role.

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 17 2013, 10:43am

Post #20 of 36 (503 views)
Shortcut
It's interesting how different people hear things differently [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no problem with Elijah's accent (and I am English and usually a bit critical of these things), except in a couple of lines, but Sean Astin's accent was more variable, although I really liked his portrayal of Sam. Viggo's accent was more variable and dodgy IMO, if he was trying to do an English accent. I thought he just sounded like many European born Scandinavians do when they speak English. In and of itself, however, it didn't bother me.
In terms of who I would have cast differently- I agree that Celeborn did not seem very elven, nor did Haldir. Now if they had included the Dunedain in ROTK, I think both of these actors would have fitted the bill more.There were a few who did not fit my inner image of the characters (Faramir, Boromir, Denethor, Eowyn) but they did a great job and now I really appreciate them. And some, I was just astounded, because it was like they had walked from the pages of the book- Gandalf, Bilbo, Saruman, Galadriel

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 11:55am

Post #21 of 36 (499 views)
Shortcut
I always laugh [In reply to] Can't Post

whenever Viggo slips into an irish accent for a line or two, especially as Strider, though it does pop up in TTT and RotK as well. Sean Astin for the most part kept it subtle enough so that when his accent slipped, it was less noticable (he goes irish a few times as well).

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 17 2013, 3:24pm

Post #22 of 36 (492 views)
Shortcut
Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't unhappy with Billy Boyd's performance by any means; however, Pippin should have been cast younger. As it is, Frodo looks like the youngest of the Hobbits in The Lord of the Rings.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 17 2013, 3:53pm

Post #23 of 36 (491 views)
Shortcut
I think there was one line (Can't remember which) [In reply to] Can't Post

That made Sean Astin sound completely American. As if he had suddenly lost the accent.

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 4:53pm

Post #24 of 36 (475 views)
Shortcut
Was it when he says.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"get done!" when the four hobbits are being. Hashed by the Black Riders while trying to get to Bree?

Whatever.ine it is, doesn't Sean Astinmention it in the commentaries?

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 17 2013, 8:09pm

Post #25 of 36 (440 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn always knew his destiny and was willing to take on the burden of being king. He prepared all of his life to do so. He was not the whining Hamlet he was portrayed as in LOTR. That was the thing that bothered me the most. Aragorn is a type of the Christ-King. He is the perfect king, in fact. But we have trouble with those concepts these days. I suppose Jackson felt people would not relate well to Aragorn if he was not conflicted about his role. An important part of the story was lost because of Pj's choice here.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.