Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
More uniqueness and timelessness to come, me thinks :)

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 17 2013, 11:46am

Post #1 of 7 (730 views)
Shortcut
More uniqueness and timelessness to come, me thinks :) Can't Post

I mentioned this in another thread already, but I thought it might be an interesting start of a new discussion.

Some were a bit disappointed by the style of AUJ - some because of the CGI, some because of HFR, some because it did not look as "ancient" as the LotR trilogy. And maybe I will quote myself here:

"So while I deeply sympathise with those who are disappointed now (as I myself was so afraid to be before watching it and greatly relieved when I liked it), I hope your positivism is strong enough to give the filmmakers a chance to lure you back into Middle-earth with the rest of the trilogy."

However, if we move away from this, I think that DoS and TABA will have much more of a chance to create moments of awe and uniqueness that will ultimately contribute to the timelessness of this trilogy - even when the CGI will start to age.

Smaug will be crucial in this, of course. But also the new landscapes and settings.

Besides the glimpses of Wilderland, we only got one really new setting - Goblintown - everything else was more or less known (apart from some new fantastic NZL landscape shots).

Thranduil's halls (and the Woodland Elves), Laketown, Mirkwood, closer looks at Dale, Erebor and Dol Guldur - I think all this has the potential to burn itself into the memory of viewers, while AUJ was mainly a visit "back home" (which also made it harder not to compare and nitpick on the differences etc.).

I think a first taste of this has been already given to use by the Eagles. I think this scene with them flying over that magnificent landscape will indeed be touching, even 20 years from now. It had a "beacon's of Gondor" feel to it imho.

What set or place or landscape do you look forward to the most in terms of production design?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 1:13pm

Post #2 of 7 (321 views)
Shortcut
Several [In reply to] Can't Post

All of Mirkwood. I really want to see PJ's vision of it, the River, The spiders and especially Thranduil's place. I also am looking forward to Smaug's flying out to Laketown. I think that is going to be epic. I can't wait to see his "underside" and how PJ does that whole deal. I expect that whole thing to be just stunning.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Mar 17 2013, 1:42pm

Post #3 of 7 (331 views)
Shortcut
From what we have seen so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am VERY optimistic about Smaug. His lines, and his look will, if done right, become cinema legend.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 17 2013, 4:16pm

Post #4 of 7 (251 views)
Shortcut
Lots of new places to see! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very much looking forward to all of the parts of Middle Earth that we have not seen so far - especially Mirkwood and Thranduil's Halls. I'll also be quite excited about seeing more of Erebor. What we have seen at the start of AUJ looked great. Of course, now that Smaug has been living in there for quite a while, it will have a somewhat different look than in it's heyday. I suppose, but still, it will be very interesting.

AUJ really dealt with the familiar, a bit like it was easing us back into Middle Earth. Now we are venturing off into the unknown... It'll be great!

I'm sure that we will find these 'new' places just as memorable as the ones we know and love from LOTR. Maybe some more so than others, but that's in the nature of movies that are based on well-loved books - everyone has their own idea what the places in the book should look like, so whoever is going to make the movie always has a lot to live up to and will never manage to please everyone.

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 18 2013, 5:27am

Post #5 of 7 (121 views)
Shortcut
I am always optimistic... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was during the lead up to AUJ, and I will also be for the next two films.

However, I don't let my fandom, or optimism get in the way of my personal tastes. AUJ was pretty disappointing for me. If the next two films continue the trends of too much CGI, Impossible action sequences, and losing sight of Bilbo, no amount of newness will save the trilogy. For me at least...

I don't expect PJ to immediately recognize, and bow to criticisms. No artist should. But, I hope he takes some of them to heart, even if he never publicly admits it.

The Hobbit is a very different story than LOTR. That's enough to separate it from those films. AUJ reeked of "trying too hard" IMO. If the next two films can solve this problem, then we're in good territory. If not, I feel it's a shame and a missed opportunity for him to create something equally enchanting.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 18 2013, 7:05am

Post #6 of 7 (102 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a misunderstanding [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
However, I don't let my fandom, or optimism get in the way of my personal tastes. AUJ was pretty disappointing for me. If the next two films continue the trends of too much CGI, Impossible action sequences, and losing sight of Bilbo, no amount of newness will save the trilogy. For me at least...

Neither would I if I was disappointed with AUJ.

Of course newness cannot make up for it when one has deeper issues with something.

My point was just that I personally think TH will - especially for the regular movie goer - with each part become a more and more distinct and unique experience and that the new regions and people etc will add to that.

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 18 2013, 9:15am

Post #7 of 7 (85 views)
Shortcut
I Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't suggesting that you specifically do that, I can just see how that can easily happen to people. Think Twilight fans. Those films were pretty terribly made, but I'm sure it's fans will defend them to the death.

I am anxious to see The Hobbit come into it's own. I think, once the next two films are released, that we will end up seeing a more solid tone that runs throughout all 3 films. This should also solve AUJ's tonal imbalance. Being able to see it as part of a larger picture will definitely be a plus.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.