Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So We Just Had a Post on Our Favorite Dialog Moments. Now Tells US What Your Favorite Nonverbal Moments Are
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 5:29am

Post #26 of 64 (558 views)
Shortcut
yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 5:39am

Post #27 of 64 (572 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin to Kili, glance at warg rider, glance at bow, 'that, shoot, now...'

the flight of the eagles... the animators must have watched hours of raptor footage.... the actions were perfect...

Bofur's head cock when Bilbo hits the floor, after "think furnace, with wings!" Like a mischevious raven....

Bofur's expression before he says "I wish you the best, I really do..." in his conversation with Bilbo in the goblin cave entrance... you see something of his deeper heart here, the optimism peels away for a moment and you see a deeper pain and vulnerability...

Go outside and play...

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 17 2013, 6:22am

Post #28 of 64 (589 views)
Shortcut
Yup, like others here I think the non-verbal crowning glory moment [In reply to] Can't Post

is when Bilbo spares Gollum's life. Absolutely fabulous, that Martin Freeman!

Also, as others have stated, any moment Thorin smiles! Smile Oh, let's not forget the big smile (even a grin!) after Gandalf saves them from the Trolls. And the smile after he hugs Bilbo. For one with so little to smile about, Thorin does it well when it happens.

And there's Bofur's so sad expression after Bilbo has told him the dwarves are used to not belonging anywhere.

And all of Gollum's facial expressions as he's trying to figure out the answers to the riddles.

And Bilbo's little smile as he pats Myrtle on the face after giving her the apple. So cute!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

ThorinIIIStonehelm
The Shire

Mar 17 2013, 8:44am

Post #29 of 64 (555 views)
Shortcut
Some been said before but mine have gotta be [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum's face on the rock when thinking about Bilbo's first riddle. Utterly priceless.
And Bilbo sparing Gollum's life. Simply awesome acting.
And finally the look on Bombur's face just after he catches the sausage Bofur threw and he looks down at the table before it collapses. Made me laugh out loud! Laugh Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 17 2013, 9:45am

Post #30 of 64 (604 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's smile [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that too you've put it very well. Poor Thorin.

In Reply To
i love seeing thorin smile. i think this poor guy has the weight of arda on his shoulders, and has known little joy, and much pain (how many kin and friends of his were roasted, trampled, eaten alive by smaug? how many were lost in the diaspora?). and his personality is such that (unlike bofur), he's not very loose. seeing a smile from thorin is worth more than all the gold in erebor.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2013, 10:27am

Post #31 of 64 (541 views)
Shortcut
So many! [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin's expressions whenever he's watching Thorin (which is often) are wonderful. Two in particular are just after the escape from Goblin town, when Thorin asks Bilbo why he came back: Balin is watching Thorin with great concern, as if he's really afraid Thorin's goint to launch into a tirade at Bilbo; and in the flaming-pine-tree scene, just after Thorin sees Azog, Balin looks at Thorin with an expression suggesting he thinks this is going to push Thorin over the edge. A third one is in Rivendell, when Thorin is at first refusing to show Elrond the map, and Balin is pacing around next to and behind Thorin: Balin has a very smug look on his face, clearly pleased that Thorin is standing up to this Elf -- until Thorin starts to take out the map.

Bilbo's expression of absolute disgust at Dwalin's table manners, when Dwalin bites the head off the fish, is priceless.

Thorin's watching Thror with the treasure at the height of dragon-sickness, and then turning away: that says so much about his character, what he knows, and what he fears.

The whole "morning after the party" scene is brilliant. Bilbo's thought process is so clear, and poignant: what will his life be like if he stays? He goes, and takes the road less traveled. Figuratively, of course.

Thorin rolling his eyes in exasperation at Kili after Kili teases Bilbo about orcs and their bloody night raids.

The dwarves trekking across the mountains after they leave Rivendell. When the music swells to the grand version of the Dwarf theme as the scene switches to the rocky mountain top with the Dwarves marching across it, Thorin at the lead, I get goosebumps. Reminds me of the "Lighting of the Beacons" scene in ROTK, which is my favorite non-verbal scene, and possibly my favorite scene altogether, in the whole trilogy.

Thorin's "never forgiving, never forgetting" scene. Mmmmm.

The smile Thorin gives Kili just after walking into Bag End is probably my very favorite moment.

Lots more, but I'll stop there!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2013, 11:36am

Post #32 of 64 (524 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that smile! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
7. separate category for this -- i love seeing thorin smile. i think this poor guy has the weight of arda on his shoulders, and has known little joy, and much pain (how many kin and friends of his were roasted, trampled, eaten alive by smaug? how many were lost in the diaspora?). and his personality is such that (unlike bofur), he's not very loose. seeing a smile from thorin is worth more than all the gold in erebor.

So well said, Maciliel, and I so agree! Only three real smiles in the whole movie (right? or am I forgetting one right now?), and I absolutely love each one. He deserves so many more. Love your other non-verbal moments too, but Thorin's smiles definitely stand out.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 17 2013, 11:50am

Post #33 of 64 (508 views)
Shortcut
When Gollum realizes the ring is gone. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could feel the deep, deep pain of this creature. Amazing in a heartbreaking kind of way.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 12:17pm

Post #34 of 64 (602 views)
Shortcut
counting thorin's smiles [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
7. separate category for this -- i love seeing thorin smile. i think this poor guy has the weight of arda on his shoulders, and has known little joy, and much pain (how many kin and friends of his were roasted, trampled, eaten alive by smaug? how many were lost in the diaspora?). and his personality is such that (unlike bofur), he's not very loose. seeing a smile from thorin is worth more than all the gold in erebor.

So well said, Maciliel, and I so agree! Only three real smiles in the whole movie (right? or am I forgetting one right now?), and I absolutely love each one. He deserves so many more. Love your other non-verbal moments too, but Thorin's smiles definitely stand out.

(thanks, roheryn : ) )

let's see.... there was the...

1. smile upon seeing kili at bag end

2. there was some smirking at bilbo during grocer/burgler, but that's not the kind of smile i was thinking of -- though i'll take it, because thorin desperately needs almost any sort of smile

3. glimmer of a smile across the table to fili, when fili finishes his impassioned speech about "all fighters! to the last dwarf!"

4 smile at gandalf, after gandalf's "looking ahead/looking behind" comment

.... oh... a few more... but we'll cap the list at his smile / hug for bilbo on the carrock, and his (beautiful) smile when he sees erebor.

suffice it to say, if we were to construct a drinking game for the hobbit out of thorin's smiles, our company would be right sober by the time bilbo decrees that the worst of it is over.

with fili and kili, on the other hand, our company would be quite drunk well before ori inquires as to what might be done with his plate.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Thoromir
Rivendell

Mar 17 2013, 1:24pm

Post #35 of 64 (500 views)
Shortcut
The moment when... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is sprinkling his fish with some lemon and he hears the door bell ring.
Always makes me laugh^^

Macfeast
Rohan

Mar 17 2013, 1:28pm

Post #36 of 64 (492 views)
Shortcut
That's the one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely agree here, probably the best change from the book.

Another silent moment I love, is the moment after Bilbo tells the dwarves why he came back. One thing in particular I like about this scene, is that despite how easy it would have been to just show the reactions of the "important" dwarves (the ones with the most screentime and dialogue), the first dwarf to get a closeup after Thorin, is Bombur. Fat, bumbling, no-dialogue Bombur. Followed by Nori and Ori. It really helps sell the idea that this means something to the entire company, not just the important dwarves, and that everyone involved is a character, not a bystander. I was somewhat disappointed that some of the dwarves didn't get more to do, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 1:34pm

Post #37 of 64 (496 views)
Shortcut
Another one [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Bilbo's face when Gandalf pulls the stick insect from Radagasts mouth. It cracks me up.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

axecrazy
Rivendell

Mar 17 2013, 1:58pm

Post #38 of 64 (475 views)
Shortcut
Just about all of Freeman's scenes have great non-verbal moments. [In reply to] Can't Post

Stand-out for the Dwarves would be just after Balin tells his story, and they all stand and face Thorin in recognition of his courage and leadership. It was a very powerful non-verbal moment.

Oh, and who can forget what must be the most important moment in the history of Middle-earth! It was totally non-verbal, too. No, it wasn't a huge battle or great act of magic. It was just a guy taking pity on a lost and forgotten creature. People who whine about Elrond not kicking Isildur over the edge are totally missing the point, in my opinion. Because that's how the Ring works, see? It wants its possessors to commit an act of depravity, or to fight over possession, so it can gain a strong hold on them. I firmly believe Elrond was right not to take action against Isildur, just as Bilbo was right not to kill Gollum....

There's no party like a Dwaven party. Believe it.

Esmeralda
Bree

Mar 17 2013, 2:05pm

Post #39 of 64 (505 views)
Shortcut
I don't really laugh out loud, but [In reply to] Can't Post

there are several moments that definitely make me giggle because they're just so silly:

Bombur's moth-snores

Thorin chewing on the ropes of his sack

Bilbo's eye-rolling at the denseness of dwarves

Thorin kicking Kili

The other hedgehogs crowding around Sebastian in concern

Bifur toasting his kale

Gollum holding up two fingers when he says "three guesses!"

Bombur chugging along at the rear on the way out of the Goblin caves.

They're all classic cartoon elements that bring me back to feel of the book, which I love, even while I'm enraptured by the majesty of Thorin's epic quest, and touched by Bilbo's moments of courage and self-discovery.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 2:33pm

Post #40 of 64 (503 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez... you're killin' me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I can't list them all, but here's my first volley:

Bilbo always raising is finger when he's about to protest something.

Thorin's face as Gandalf opens the door to Bag End and then his smile over at Kili when he's about to hand him his cloak.

Ori's fist-flexing at his frustration during Thorin's report from his meeting

When Gandalf brings out the map, Bofur looking at Gandalf, down to the map, back up at Gandalf... I watch for it every time!

Gandalf in Bag End... chuckling nervously while Bilbo is reading his contract, laughing when the Dwarves are doing the dishes, all of his quiet moments there.

Thorin's face as he listens to Balin's tale at the fireside.

Bilbo as he's gathering himself up to pursue the orcs and captured dwarves

Bilbo's face as he watches gollum... every time he's watching gollum.

Elrond as he watches the Dwarves process that they've been invited to dinner and not suffering an insult.

Bilbo's face when he first sees Rivendell, and again as he leaves and looks back.

Thorin... he has so many expressions that project exactly how he's feeling. He's a study throughout the story... as well as Gandalf.

Gotta stop... but there are so many many more!

sample

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 17 2013, 2:39pm

Post #41 of 64 (487 views)
Shortcut
I'll tell you one I bet you all missed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Because he's out of focus when it happens. But Bilbo's face when Dwalin and Balin headbutt is priceless.

Also the lovely landscape shots with the eagles! Wish we had more shots like those.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 2:46pm

Post #42 of 64 (458 views)
Shortcut
Oh I love that one [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how Bilbo's mouth is wide open when they headbut. hehe.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 2:51pm

Post #43 of 64 (455 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what it is ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Gandalf sat on the eagle is one of my favourite shots of the film. Evil

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 4:07pm

Post #44 of 64 (482 views)
Shortcut
Acrobatics [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire blunt the knives sequence-the sheer coordination, acrobatics, etc is amazing! (I saw it in a vlog but unfortunately in the movie the camera is focused on Gandalf at the moment- Kili does an impressive cartwheel behind Fili at the exact same time as Fili does what looks like a toe touch! not bad for being laden with their costumes and fat suits!)

I saw that Fili toe kick Kili cartwheel in a blog too but didn't realize it made it into the movie! I tried to find it just now on the WB YouTube vid but was unsuccessful. The blu-ray should be here soon so I'll have to lok for it on the bigger TV screen. Wink

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 4:07pm

Post #45 of 64 (443 views)
Shortcut
Eloquent? You're too kind. [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 4:13pm

Post #46 of 64 (508 views)
Shortcut
Love your drinking game idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those of us watching for Fili/Kili smiles will be far sillier than the Thorin watchers!

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 4:20pm

Post #47 of 64 (491 views)
Shortcut
kili's reaction [In reply to] Can't Post

To

Thorin rolling his eyes in exasperation at Kili after Kili teases Bilbo about orcs and their bloody night raids.

He's absolutely crushed.

Another moment I noticed on my last theatre viewing is after Thorin arrives at BagEnd and the Dwarevs are all sitting at the table discussing....watch Bofur's face. He seems in awe of everything and everyone. It can't be the first time he has heard all this, met all these Dwarves. I haven't quite figured the meaning here but his expressions are terrific.

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 4:22pm

Post #48 of 64 (441 views)
Shortcut
Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

Has some great expressions in the background when Radagast arrives too. Always makes me laugh.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 5:03pm

Post #49 of 64 (403 views)
Shortcut
Riddles in the Dark [In reply to] Can't Post

One moment I love is when Gollum first jumps down in front of Bilbo. Bilbo's terrifed face as he raises the sword to gollum's throat is great. Also, the look Bilbo gives Thorin when Gandalf says "The only ill-will here is that which you bring yourself" as they enter Imladris. The look on Bilbo's face is classic "Owned". LOL

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 17 2013, 5:16pm

Post #50 of 64 (402 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But Gandalf sat on the eagle is one of my favourite shots of the film. Evil

I wasn't sure if the scene constituted a 'non-verbal' moment per se, but if so, then absolutely the scene with the eagles flying to the carrock is one of my favorite moments. And yeah, I loved how Gandalf was riding astride the neck of the eagle rather than lying on its back. Such a moment of exhilaration, freedom and beauty! I look forward to it every time.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.