Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - March 17

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 1:07pm

Views: 64
Shortcut
TIME - March 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

March 17, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Battle of Dale. King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot fall.
(from the appendices)
... "At the same time as the great armies besieged Minas Tirith a host of the allies of Sauron that had long threatened the borders of King Brand crossed the River Carnen, and Brand was driven back to Dale. There he had the aid of the Dwarves of Erebor; and there was a great battle at the Mountain's feet. It lasted three days, but in the end both King Brand and King Dáin Ironfoot were slain..."

... [Gandalf reflects after Pelennor]”'...Dáin has fallen, fighting in Dale again, even while we fought here. I should call that a heavy loss, if it was not a wonder rather that in his great age he could still wield his axe as mightily as they say that he did, standing over the body of King Brand before the Gate of Erebor until the darkness fell.'"

2. Many Dwarves and Men take refuge in Erebor and are besieged.
(from the appendices)
..."...the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate, and many, both Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege.
...When news came of the great victories in the South, then Sauron's northern army was filled with dismay; and the besieged came forth and routed them, and the remnant fled into the East and troubled Dale no more."

3. Shagrat brings Frodo's cloak, mail-shirt, and sword to Barad-dûr.
(from the appendices)
...[Telling how Shagrat got Frodo's belongings out] "[Sam] sprang out to meet Shagrat with a shout. He was no longer holding the Ring, but it was there, a hidden power, a cowing menace to the slaves of Mordor; and in his hand was Sting, and its light smote the eyes of the orc like the glitter of cruel stars in the terrible elf-countries... ...Shagrat could not both fight and keep hold of his treasure. He stooped, growling, baring his fangs. Then one more, orc-fashion, he leapt aside, and as Sam sprang at him, using the heavy bundle as both shield and weapon, he thrust it hard into his enemy's face. Sam staggered, and before he could recover, Shagrat darted past and down the stairs.

...Sam ran after him, cursing, but he did not go far... ...Away below Shagrat went leaping down the stairs and out over the court and through the gate. Bearing his precious burden."

4. Aragorn musters the armies while Gandalf, Pippin, Legolas, and Gimli prepare to depart for Mordor.
(not from the appendices)
..."...at once swift riders were sent out to gather what news they could northwards; and eastwards, from Osgiliath and the road to Minas Morgul.
...And when they had reckoned up all their strength and taken thought for the journeys they should make and the roads they should choose, Imrahil suddenly laughed aloud.
...'Surely,' he cried, 'this is the greatest jest in all the history of Gondor: that we should ride with seven thousands... ...to assail the mountains and the impenetrable gate of the Black Land! So might a child threaten a mail-clad knight with a bow of string and green willow! If the Dark Lord knows so much as you say, Mithrandir, will he not rather smile than fear, and... ...crush us like a fly that tries to sting him?'
...'No, he will try to trap the fly and take the sting,' said Gandalf. 'And there are names among us that are worth more than a thousand mail-clad knights apiece. No, he will not smile.'
...'Neither shall we,' said Aragorn. 'If this be jest, then it is too bitter for laughter. Nay, it is the last move in a great jeopardy, and for one side or the other it will bring the end of the game.' Then he drew Andúril and held it up glittering in the sun. 'You shall not be sheathed again until the last battle is fought,' he said."

5. In the Houses of Healing, Faramir, Éowyn, and Merry recover from their wounds on the Pelennor field.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Éowyn still rested from her wounds, confined to her bed. Merry visits with Pippin, Legolas and Gimli before their departure the next day. Faramir rises, restless and heavy-hearted.

6. Frodo and Sam continue their scramble over the rocky terrain.
(not from the appendices)
..."'Well, I suppose we must be going on again,' Frodo said. 'I wonder how long it will be before we really are caught and all the toiling and the slinking will be over, and in vain.' He stood up. 'It's dark, and we cannot use the Lady's glass. Keep it safe for me, Sam. I have nowhere to keep it now, except in my hand, and I shall need both hands in the blind night. But Sting I give to you. I have got an orc-blade, but I do not think it will be my part to strike any blow again....'"

... "'...Begging your pardon, Mr. Frodo,' he said, 'but have you any notion how far there is still to go?'
...'No, not any clear notion, Sam,' Frodo answered. 'In Rivendell before I set out I was shown a map of Mordor that was made before the Enemy came back here; but I only remember it vaguely... ...I guess that we have gone about twelve leagues north from the bridge now. Even if all goes well, I could hardly reach the Mountain in a week. I am afraid, Sam, that the burden will get very heavy, and I shall go still slower as we get nearer.'
...Sam sighed. 'That's just as I feared.' he said. 'Well, to say nothing of water, we've got to eat less, Mr. Frodo, or else move a bit quicker... ...One more bite and all the food's ended, save the Elves' waybread.'
...'I'll try and be a bit quicker, Sam,' said Frodo, drawing a deep breath. 'Come on then! Let's start another march!'"

sample

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Subject User Time
TIME - March 10 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 11 2013, 12:13am
    TLE's Weather Report: grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 11 2013, 12:16am
    TIME - March 11 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 11 2013, 9:39am
        TLE's Weather Report: grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 11 2013, 9:41am
            Now how in Middle-earth dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Mar 11 2013, 11:55pm
                No one is better at grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 12 2013, 11:26am
        TIME - March 12 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 12 2013, 11:14am
            TIME - March 13 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 13 2013, 9:02am
                Just wanted to say imin Send a private message to imin Mar 14 2013, 12:54am
                    *blushes* thanks so much, imin :D // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 14 2013, 10:16am
                TIME - March 14 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 14 2013, 10:12am
                    TIME - March 15 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 15 2013, 9:10am
                        March 15, 2941 Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 15 2013, 8:34pm
                            *high five* grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 16 2013, 11:40am
                            And now for a blushing "d'uh" moment grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 16 2013, 11:59am
                                Well, you did begin to cover it Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 16 2013, 1:53pm
                        TIME - March 16 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 16 2013, 11:33am
                            TIME - March 17 grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Mar 17 2013, 1:07pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.