Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What book do you wish would become a movie but hasn't?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 14 2013, 6:18pm

Post #51 of 76 (300 views)
Shortcut
OMG.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote you that whole Golden treatise... and didn't even tie that up with that memory! how odd! But you are right - that is probably a huge reason I don't like them.... !

What a good point Imin!

(PS - will post the details in our ME/MA thread but I just got my a** handed to me in class......!)

To err is human, to Hoom is Entish.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 14 2013, 6:25pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 14 2013, 6:23pm

Post #52 of 76 (292 views)
Shortcut
winding back around Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The television project was ready to film as a pilot when the shooting script was submitted for final approval; it came back with so many changes that showrunner Ronald D. Moore dropped the entire project.

The film rights now seem to be with Copperheart Entertainment, a production company that intends to bring Pern to the big screen. David Hayter was signed as screenwriter with Don Murphy as executive producer. Production on Dragonflight was expected to begin in 2012. The project is still categorized as 'in development' at this time and can probably be considered to be in 'development hell'.

I'm not familiar with Copperheart. Oh dear "development hell" doesn't sound too good. I would love to see it done well. There is certainly the tech to showcase it, but the story should drive the film, as it is so good. That would have to be a series of films as well, I haven't read them in a long while but it's a complex back story as well as present-day action. Crammin git into one film might be a stretch. Maybe the and hopefully TH (and I guess HP, though not a fan) trilogy success can open some doors to longer, epic fantasy series.

Finwe
Lorien

Mar 14 2013, 9:05pm

Post #53 of 76 (291 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

Although a mini-series would likely work better.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 14 2013, 11:14pm

Post #54 of 76 (285 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish development issues were all that were keeping the Silmarrilion from being produced. The legal issues here are like Bleak House.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 14 2013, 11:52pm

Post #55 of 76 (284 views)
Shortcut
So true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wish development issues were all that were keeping the Silmarrilion from being produced. The legal issues here are like Bleak House.

And its so beloved by the LOTR fan base, it's hard not to feel sad about it. I wish the parties could all settle in and work something out. Perhaps its a next-generation sort of project, depending on how the Estate stewardship would play out in later years.

Just theoretically, if so, its an interesting question - does one want to see an epic film? A miniseries? How many films would it take to really cover it all? I feel like the Creation of Arda in practically a film in itself, with the Firstborn appearing perhaps in the very last scene.

Ooooh just thinking about it makes me want to go on a mad speculative casting spree........! (head spinning..)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 14 2013, 11:53pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 12:10am

Post #56 of 76 (284 views)
Shortcut
not one book in particular, but an author [In reply to] Can't Post

With all the popularity & incessant remakes of Austen and "Jane Eyre," I'm baffled that the BBC hasn't done anything with the works of Georgette Heyer.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 12:24am

Post #57 of 76 (275 views)
Shortcut
We can always listen to RA read them. [In reply to] Can't Post

He does several of the audiobooks. But you're right; they've done Gaskell, too. There is a lot of material there.

In Reply To
With all the popularity & incessant remakes of Austen and "Jane Eyre," I'm baffled that the BBC hasn't done anything with the works of Georgette Heyer.

imin
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 12:25am

Post #58 of 76 (273 views)
Shortcut
Personally i am really glad it seems like a distant prospect :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventually they will get sold (the rights) but i hope its in many years time so another director can have a go and when there is greater advancement in cinema technology, CG etc, or never, lol. Tongue

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 12:29am

Post #59 of 76 (277 views)
Shortcut
A miniseries would be nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I love the LOTR trilogy, a miniseries would have ensured that everything was included. When I see Game of Thrones I realize that for fantasy and sci fi the long format works well.

In Reply To
Just theoretically, if so, its an interesting question - does one want to see an epic film? A miniseries? How many films would it take to really cover it all? I feel like the Creation of Arda in practically a film in itself, with the Firstborn appearing perhaps in the very last scene.

Ooooh just thinking about it makes me want to go on a mad speculative casting spree........! (head spinning..)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 1:35am

Post #60 of 76 (262 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the Silmarillion would be a shock, I think, for casual fans of the films and people who haven't read it. Its a lot more dark and complex than the average person might expect. Turin's story - a bit of a different tone there for sure. Miniseries might be a nice pace as well, as it is a lot to absorb and there are so many charactars.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2013, 5:25am

Post #61 of 76 (264 views)
Shortcut
fluffernutters!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

If that is part poodle, I hear they are ridiculously brilliantly intelligent...

which may be why the guy who ran poodles in the Iditarod back in (1986??? 1989???) caused the committee to write a new rule which allowed only northern breeds in the race... he did not come in last either...

Lots of those fluffernutters are terrific companion dogs!

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2013, 5:35am

Post #62 of 76 (256 views)
Shortcut
and one more thing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

ohhhhhhhhhh this thread has gone to the dogs...

I thought of one more thing potential husky families should know...

(I did a whole dissertation here: http://www.swordwhale.com/mushing-101.html )

That cute puppy will have you going: "Oh, he's sooooo obedient, he isn't like what you describe at all!"

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Little do you know... the plot thickens...

I worked with a few wild animals (with wildlife rehabbers), and in our educational programs, we made a point of the difference between domestic animals and wild ones. It is: pedomorphosis. Domestic animals have juvenile characteristics. Wild animals are easy to handle when they are juveniles... then they grow up. A four month old Siberian tiger is fun (even though his jaws fit nicely around my thigh)... and older one is a highly skilled predator that's bigger than you.

Siberians who end up in rescues are usually between one and two years old: about the time they grow up and stop being mush-headed little puppies who obey you.

My friend Heather has had Siberians since she was eleven. Her favorite was a dark faced agouti (wolf color) with blue eyes, named Strider. As a pup, he could be let out the door, and he would run to the van and jump in. Somewhere, about a year and a half old, Heather opened the door, let him out, and he ran to the van... then past it, down Willow Street, across the entire island of Chincoteague Virginia, onto Assateague Island, and into the wild. Frantic calls to various Park Service employees ensued (My dog escaped, no he's not a wolf, no he's not killing deer!!!). A search was organized. Strider was ultimately corralled... and never ever let offlead again. Though he did manage to escape a few more times in various places.

Don't let them fool you... they're just waiting for you to crack the door open too far.. to forget to close the gate... yup... they'll fool you into complacency with those adorable blue eyes... and then...

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2013, 5:39am

Post #63 of 76 (260 views)
Shortcut
pibblechows [In reply to] Can't Post

O_o wow!

I've never met a bad pitbull... our area has a SPCA full of them, and we have idiots who dogfight, so we're always getting chewed up rescues. The stories go in the local papers, in an effort to educate people. Even the ones who've had bad experiences seem to generally become good dogs.

They excel at agility, and mushing sports, especially weight pulling!

Go outside and play...

imin
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 5:47am

Post #64 of 76 (252 views)
Shortcut
Your post made me think of this [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/...tial_experimentation

It is about the Russian fox domestication experiment where wild foxes were bred for tameability and over generations they did become more tame and also took on the characteristics of dogs/juvenile foxes - I am sure you know about it already in great detail but i thought it was worth a link, lol.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 5:58am

Post #65 of 76 (254 views)
Shortcut
What about feathered dragons? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean parrots! They are not domesticated and so many people make the same mistake. That cute little baby bird-who can stay a baby up to two years-will grow up and decide for itself whether you are friend (best case), enemy (Trouble, but manageable) or mate (REAL trouble!) I have six of them and they're wonderful but you have to be really devoted, insane (that's me!) or willing to just have house ornaments to live with them. For years I did programs with them, first at the local zoo, and later for free to the places who couldn't afford the zoo. My signature line was, "They are noisy, they are messy and they bite!" Scared away all but the devoted or insane, as I intended. One is handicapped and needs daily meds, another plucks. One thinks I'm her very bestest friend, love that Amazon! And my African Grey, the bird I waited five years to own, and bought as a baby...decided I'm his girlfriend. <sigh> He argues with me, pleads with me and tells me when to get up but I have scars from when he refused to understand that he had to go back to his playstand. I love him a lot but handling him is dangerous for both of us. A bird who bites unpredictably-and to the bone-risks being suddenly thrown off when the pain hits. Sad, but he's a lot safer in his giant cage.
As for Huskies, a lady at church asked me to help train her dog to come when called. I asked what kind. You guessed it! I told her he couldn't be taught a reliable come...Research is not just for school!
Folks forget that breeds are more than just different in size and shape. They were bred for different purposes, so find a breed that matches what you want in a dog. I've had three Old English Sheepdogs and we mesh very well. Dog hair is no problem when you combine it with moulted feathers. Just gives more texture to the place.Crazy
Mine have all been rescues, it seems sheepdogs aren't just cute and cuddly, they are a lot of work. My current one, Arwen, was a goat from the time I got her until very recently. She ate everything in sight. Now I can leave an open box of cookies beside her on the couch while I make my tea and she won't touch it. She's wonderful. Sheepdogs are also VERY gentle to other critters so the birds aren't at risk. My first one would herd six lop eared rabbits I had. Never touched them, but I have to wonder what they thought!
As for the poor long-lost-topic. I'd love to see "Lion of Ireland" by Morgan Llwellyn made into a film. It is the fictionalized story of the Irish King, Brian Boru. He's my ancestor on both sides of my family tree. It would be really cool to see him in action.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2013, 2:54pm

Post #66 of 76 (241 views)
Shortcut
I've heard of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...really cool story.

Then there's cats and ferrets... somewhat different from their wild cousins, but not a whole lot...

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2013, 3:08pm

Post #67 of 76 (252 views)
Shortcut
the poor long lost topic and feathered dragons... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know two (responsible) people who have those green Amazons. "Fred" will take nuts out of my hand, but does not deign to come over and perch on me. Handling a three pound, two foot tall great horned owl (1000 psi pertalon tip) was easier (volunteering with wildlife rehabbers)... or picking up an injured redtail hawk that was back on its tail presenting you with 8 pointy talons, 500 psi each... that's easy: throw a towel over it.

Iris, the Lecture Great Horned Owl (picture a mad one-eyed wizard with an attitude) once "handcuffed" me to a perch... one foot on the (heavy, welding) glove, one on the perch... ten minutes later: "Come on Iris, we have to go..." nope... nope... nope... go ahead, try to unpry a GHO's grip...

Feathered dragons.

Parrots... hmmmm... looks cute... (looks at killer beak).

Yup, dragons are real.

I have one parrot word: Alex. I've heard stories on National Public Radio about him. Somehow the stories didn't surprise me, of course they're that smart...

At a Dinosaur Weekend at our local park, a kid asked a paleontologist (he'd been one of several advisers on the first Jurassic Park film, so we're sort of back on topic) about the connection between dragons and dinosaurs. The answer was basically, there are dragon stories everywhere, including places (like the arctic) where there are no reptiles (so the tales aren't inspired by giant alligators or snakes)...
...because everyone digs up "dragon bones". Dinosaur fossils.
...and some dinosaurs had feathers.
...and some turned into birds.

Yep. Feathered dragons.

Now, I can't wait to see The Croods! Some of the critters are clearly imaginary, but some (like the four-winged feathered dragon thingie) are based on real dinosaurs.

Go outside and play...

Patty
Immortal

Mar 15 2013, 9:40pm

Post #68 of 76 (237 views)
Shortcut
If I can't see the Silmarillion made into a movie… [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I would like to see Outlander Diana Gabaldon made into one.

Permanent address: Into the West

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 9:42pm

Post #69 of 76 (234 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! They could go on for years. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Then I would like to see Outlander Diana Gabaldon made into one.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 5:46pm

Post #70 of 76 (221 views)
Shortcut
ooooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shall have to look into that! Love a gravelly voice.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 5:50pm

Post #71 of 76 (221 views)
Shortcut
One caveat: they are abridged. [In reply to] Can't Post

But he sounds great!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 17 2013, 12:55pm

Post #72 of 76 (226 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen any news on it since November, but [In reply to] Can't Post

the Outlander deal was signed with Starz. That's all I know. I won't be watching it, so I didn't read the article.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Patty
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 3:16pm

Post #73 of 76 (209 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Excellent, I'll follow this. Where did you... [In reply to] Can't Post

See this, so I can keep checking back? Thank you so much.Laugh

Permanent address: Into the West

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 3:19pm

Post #74 of 76 (228 views)
Shortcut
Grisham's The Broker [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm shocked it hasn't been made yet!

It's available in Books on CD read by Dennis Boutsikaris... who would play the title role very well, imho. He's been in a buhzillion tv shows over the past 30 years, but is best known by me as the Psychiatrist in The Dream Team with Michael Keaton. DB does a great job reading this story!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0100381/

Synopsis: In his final hours in the Oval Office, the outgoing President grants a controversial last-minute pardon to Joel Backman, a notorious Washington power broker who has spent the last six years hidden away in a federal prison. What no one knows is that the President issues the pardon only after receiving enormous pressure from the CIA. It seems Backman, in his power broker heyday, may have obtained secrets that compromise the world’s most sophisticated satellite surveillance system.

Backman is quietly smuggled out of the country in a military cargo plane, given a new name, a new identity, and a new home in Italy. Eventually, after he has settled into his new life, the CIA will leak his whereabouts to the Israelis, the Russians, the Chinese, and the Saudis. Then the CIA will do what it does best: sit back and watch. The question is not whether Backman will survive—there is no chance of that. The question the CIA needs answered is, who will kill him?

sample

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 17 2013, 6:10pm

Post #75 of 76 (199 views)
Shortcut
I saw it [In reply to] Can't Post

in a group on an unrelated private site. I just went back and found the last link posted there. I'm too lazy to google, but I can let you know if the hounds sniff out anything new. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.