Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Favorite Songs and Poems

Mar 9 2013, 6:55am

Post #1 of 12 (404 views)
Favorite Songs and Poems Can't Post

The films are full of songs and poems, most (if not all) of them from the books.

Which are your favorite, in terms of the use in the movies?

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Mar 9 2013, 6:56am)

Mar 9 2013, 8:25am

Post #2 of 12 (314 views)
Ah Elbereth Gilthoniel.. [In reply to] Can't Post

from FOTR EE where the elves are singing as they walk through the Shire towards the Havens. I find this piece so beautiful and ethereal- the harmonies are sublime and fitting with the air of longing and melancholy of this scene
Another elven piece I love is also from the FOTR EE - the setting of Namarie in the gift giving scene, which has a similar feeling to it, of loss and longing- the part which plays under Galadriel giving Frodo the Light of Earendil "when all other lights go out" gives me goosebumps and a tear in the eye just thinking about it!

There are too many to mention really, but my favourites include The Hobbit Drinking Song (for its sheer silliness), Aniron, Galadriel's song and both closing credit songs in FOTR, Gandalf's reappearance, March of the Ents, Breath of Life and the Rivendell A&A scene in TTT, the song sung sublimely and delicately by Renee Fleming, when Arwen sees a vision of Aragorn and Eldarion, Pippin's song and the whole great choral opus at the climax, from "for Frodo..." until the rescue by the Eagles (another goosebump and teary eyed moment) in ROTK

Oh- and Lament for Gandalf from FOTR!!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Mar 9 2013, 8:38pm

Post #3 of 12 (297 views)
'The Man in the Moon Stayed Up Too Late' [In reply to] Can't Post

This probably reflects how much I enjoy Ren' Fair pub-sings.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Mar 10 2013, 4:34am

Post #4 of 12 (279 views)
All Of Them [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the music from LOTR it's so Iconic and epic and there are too many good tunes to list here so I'll just stick to the ones the characters sing in the film
Now where do I begin...ah yes

"The Road goes ever on" with both Bilbo and Gandalf asinging it I find myself singing it all the time too

"Hobbit Drinking Song #1" This and the party is the only times we get to see Hobbits being Hobbits the way they should be, This scenes makes me long to live in The Shire lol

"Lay Of Luthien" This song is only sung for like 10 seconds and it's interrupted I want to learn the whole thing in elvish so I can sing it yeah I'm that nerdy lol

"Theodred's Lament" I love the way Eowyn sings this it's got such a mysterious quality to it

"Hobbit Drinking Song #2" Merry & Pippin showing the rohirrim how they party in the shire lol

"The Edge Of Night" I sing this one too although not as good as Pippin great song great scene

"Elessar's Oath": Really feels like the end of an age so haunting

and and honerable mention "In Deams" I associate this song more with The Hobbit Though then with Lord Of The Rings mainly cause I can see it being used in a montage at the end of TABA

Mar 10 2013, 12:19pm

Post #5 of 12 (258 views)
most of them [In reply to] Can't Post

Too many to list but I'd probably have to put 'A Elbereth...' at the top. Makes words like "ethereal" and "other-worldly" sound, well, "mundane".

Just a note: I put together a Pandora "station" with some LOTR-friendly music and we're getting some tracks by a group called "Mediaeval Babes" (the name's a goof - the music's not). While none of the songs sound exactly like this, there's some good stuff in this vein.

Mar 10 2013, 1:54pm

Post #6 of 12 (305 views)
How could I forget that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had so much going on around me when I was putting that list together I forgot about "Hymm To Elbereth" anyway when I first heard that song it creeped me out for some reason but then I was 12. I love it now though I even listen to it at twilight while walking through the woods

Mar 11 2013, 11:34am

Post #7 of 12 (250 views)
Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

To 'wight:
Interesting that you felt a bit unsettled by the song. Just last night my daughter (now 20) was talking about how she had been aware right away that they were an odd mix of beautiful and a little bit frightening. I thought the films did a nice job of bringing that out. The word "awe" has a mostly positive connotation these days but it originally meant something like a combination of reverence and fear and I think that's what Tolkien and the filmmakers were after.

Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2013, 9:18am

Post #8 of 12 (219 views)
Then this will perhaps interest you... [In reply to] Can't Post

... The Plan 9 Interview.

I love "A Elbereth Gilthoniel" too. It feels really Elvish to me and I can see why it made Sam feel sad that the Elves were departing Middle-earth.

Mar 12 2013, 1:31pm

Post #9 of 12 (224 views)
Thank you Earl [In reply to] Can't Post

Just read and listened all the way through the site- great stuff! I love all the LOTR music but the digetic music makes the world seem so mucch more real IMO
Thanks for the link

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Mar 16 2013, 10:57am

Post #10 of 12 (203 views)
Plan 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Without slighting Howard Shore's terrific score (because I think it's great and because Magpie would beat me up), I think the Plan 9 music is a good example of how collaborative a medium this is.

Also, I had wondered about the way the tonality on 'A Elbereth...' seems to shift from major to minor and the interview explained that they imagined the Elves using a different scale for ascending and descending melodies (as one of our Western scales does).

Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 1:54pm

Post #11 of 12 (197 views)
Yes, all the extra music [In reply to] Can't Post

(ie diegetic music) in LotR is really fantastic, and Plan 9 (and David Long) did a phenomenal job. It really does go a long way to bringing the world of Middle-earth to life. All that music pops into my head all the time.

They're working on The Hobbit films as well, right? I think i read that somewhere.

Mar 16 2013, 7:42pm

Post #12 of 12 (241 views)
Into the West [In reply to] Can't Post

I also love the music from the Lord of the Rings.

If I had to pick one song I think it has to be 'Into the West' that was played during the end credits on the Return of the King. In fact, I made a tribute to that song as a piano solo recently:

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.