Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, I have a feeling...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Username4242
Bree

Mar 16 2013, 6:45am

Post #1 of 39 (1532 views)
Shortcut
So, I have a feeling... Can't Post

That Smaug is going to steal the show.

Given the work Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman have done as Sherlock and Watson, one of the scenes that I'm most looking forward to is the interactions between Smaug and Bilbo. Should be superb.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 7:30am

Post #2 of 39 (749 views)
Shortcut
I'm more interested in [In reply to] Can't Post

how Benedict Cumberbatch's performance is going to translate into the dragon. I'm certain he'll look cool, but how does one performance capture a dragon? It'll be very interesting to see how that works out, and i can't wait see it... and hear the voice.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 16 2013, 8:38am

Post #3 of 39 (761 views)
Shortcut
Smaug will either blow us away ... or ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Be a massive let down. The CGI is going to be the most important factor on whether Smaug is liked or not.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 9:47am

Post #4 of 39 (633 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can already see a lot of people being disappointed... the expectations for Smaug seem almost higher than the expectations for AUJ.

After all... with mocap and all... but he will still look like a dragon, and from the hints we have seen so far, probably rather traditional (as it should be, imho).

Some people (including myself) will have to ask themselves before watching the movie: what am I actually expecting and are those expectations realistic?

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 10:06am

Post #5 of 39 (634 views)
Shortcut
I think his design will be fairly traditional [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like you said. And yes, it should be that way.

But I expect the thing that will make him stand out is his CGI work. Honestly, I'm expecting a slight improvement over Gollum. I think that's a reasonable expectation. I hope they aim to make him the most believable dragon ever seen in cinema. That's what would be ideal at least.

Either way, I can't wait to see him. Benedicts voice is an inspired choice, and I'm sure him and Freeman will play great against eachother.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 10:08am

Post #6 of 39 (627 views)
Shortcut
Yes, traditional dragon is what Smaug should be [In reply to] Can't Post

I sort of imagine him as a bigger and fiercer version of the dragon that was illustrated by Tolkien himself and I think he must be red.

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Mar 16 2013, 10:34am

Post #7 of 39 (590 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 12:34pm

Post #8 of 39 (530 views)
Shortcut
I sure hope so... [In reply to] Can't Post

Benedict Cumberbatch is one of the most talented actors working today (and I don't say that lightly). He can do comedy and drama equally and superbly, which is what I think you need for Smaug. He's an AMAZING voice actor (if you ever listen to his radio work, you will agree). And the little bits of the dragon we've seen so far look amazing, so I'm not worried about what it will looking like at all.

All-in-all, I think we will be impressed and stunned...I really think it will be another Riddles in the Dark scene.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 3:24pm

Post #9 of 39 (467 views)
Shortcut
Ben's voice [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Ben's voice is perfect for Smaug. He has that deep cave-voice. He is going to be terrific and i agree with others that the CGI I think will be great. What little we saw of his eye and nose looked fantastic. He should to me absolutely look like a traditional dragon and I admit I will be disappointed if he is not.

I can't wait for the interplay between Freeman's Bilbo and Ben's Smaug. Should be awesome. I agree with Ben that it's probably a good thing they weren't filming together as he said he would have been to tempted to play off Martin. I think it will be a really great scene.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Mar 16 2013, 3:26pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 3:27pm

Post #10 of 39 (467 views)
Shortcut
Precisely [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course there are bound to be many complaints about Smaug even if he is the best design PJ's team has ever done-he simply won't be to everyone's taste. If the worst comes to the worst and he slips into (some of) the standard of CGI that *just about gets by* in AUJ (e.g. Azog), then I only hope Mr.Cumberbatch's performance is something very special (which I don't doubt).

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 3:30pm

Post #11 of 39 (466 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

For me very disappointed CGI character. He looked plastic. I didn't like that and wish they had used an actor. Still, having seen the little bit thus far what we have seen of Smaug he really looks terrific. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 5:46pm

Post #12 of 39 (413 views)
Shortcut
I think they will have spent more time on Smaug. [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that Azog was a late addition, it would seem they just didn't get the time to fine tune him the way they did Gollum (maybe he will look better by the next films). But Smaug is such a big deal, they probably have devoted a great deal of time to getting it right (particularly with all the movie dragon failures out there).

In Reply To
For me very disappointed CGI character. He looked plastic. I didn't like that and wish they had used an actor. Still, having seen the little bit thus far what we have seen of Smaug he really looks terrific. I can't wait to see the whole thing.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 5:53pm

Post #13 of 39 (394 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

And he's the centerpiece of the 2nd film really. They will have had all of this year to fine tune the CGI and get stuff right I agree. I really think Smaug is going to be great. I really liked what little we have seen of the close up with his eye and nostril. The textures look great. I think the textures and the color have to be really well done. I think it will be and I look forward to it. I really think along with Ben's voice it's just going to be terrific.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 5:56pm

Post #14 of 39 (405 views)
Shortcut
Smaug and BC = happy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think Ben's voice is perfect for Smaug. He has that deep cave-voice. He is going to be terrific and i agree with others that the CGI I think will be great. What little we saw of his eye and nose looked fantastic. He should to me absolutely look like a traditional dragon and I admit I will be disappointed if he is not.

I can't wait for the interplay between Freeman's Bilbo and Ben's Smaug. Should be awesome. I agree with Ben that it's probably a good thing they weren't filming together as he said he would have been to tempted to play off Martin. I think it will be a really great scene.

I really am not worried about the look - I think given the extra time it will be fantastic. Traditional but well-done will be perfect for me.I am extremely excited for BCs voicing! He's so intelligent and can do beguiling or caustic..... I have been thrilled to hear him in the darn ST trailer! Plus I have watched some Sherlock episodes and really enjoyed them. (Granted its hard not to watch them with the "Smaug" ideal in mind.) He has that sort of ground-glass under-the-earth hiss in his voice when he wants to... and thankfully the text gives him great dialogue to start off with. Wondering how they will apply the mo-cap with a non-human shaped face; if they will break up the facial elements into the dragon's longer face.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 16 2013, 5:58pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 5:59pm

Post #15 of 39 (393 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil. If you have not done so watch the Reichenbach Fall on Sherlock. OMG. All I can say is, Freeman's pathos was absolutely stunning at the end and so was Ben's performance in the lead up to the last frames.

But yes, Ben's voice is going to be super as Smaug and I absolutely cannot wait.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 6:08pm

Post #16 of 39 (393 views)
Shortcut
No, I haven't gotten there yet [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Brethil. If you have not done so watch the Reichenbach Fall on Sherlock. OMG. All I can say is, Freeman's pathos was absolutely stunning at the end and so was Ben's performance in the lead up to the last frames.

But yes, Ben's voice is going to be super as Smaug and I absolutely cannot wait.

but my DH downloaded the episodes for me. Given your recc. I will have a look. They are quite a pair - and I have to say I see NO Bilbo in Watson at all. I think it shows MFs range, so often you see an actor just doing the same person over and over in different costume.
Thanks Ham Sammy!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 6:10pm

Post #17 of 39 (389 views)
Shortcut
you are in for a treat [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh. and those tissues you are saving for TABA? You will need to use them so get another crate for TABA because you'll need about as much for Reichenbach. I recommend watching all the eps in order and I am serious when I say Freeman's performance is probably the performance of the series at the end. Absolutely stunning. That whole bit there at the end is one of the reasons I just know the final scene between Thorin and Bilbo is going to be a barn burner. I will be interested in your take on it once you watch it.

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Mar 16 2013, 6:13pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 6:14pm

Post #18 of 39 (380 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Brett's version is do dry and stoic and I still get teary. I will let you know when I watch it - might do so now.....DH is at work so I can be all sobby without any snarky comments!

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 6:36pm

Post #19 of 39 (383 views)
Shortcut
The only concern I have is the anthropomorphic aspect. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum and Azog are semi-human, so they aren't that much of a stretch. One of the reasons talking dragons (and other animals--see: The Golden Compass) haven't worked is they didn't seem to figure out how to handle the human overlay. I'm still not sure how the Smaug to Bilbo communication is going to be dramatized, but there is a fine line that could be easily crossed here. If its too weird, it just makes people laugh; they need to hold Smaug in awe and fear.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 6:38pm

Post #20 of 39 (374 views)
Shortcut
Well it's fine till..the last 20 minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Brett's version is do dry and stoic and I still get teary. I will let you know when I watch it - might do so now.....DH is at work so I can be all sobby without any snarky comments!

And it does help to have a background by watching all the episodes and to know who Moriarty is if you aren't familiar with Holmes. But man that last 20 minutes. Ben rides the fine line of showing no emotion throughout the first 5 1/2 episodes till the end of this one where he pushes it right to the edge. Freeman is heartbraking. So much so that his wife Amanda punched him when she watched it for making her cry. LOL.

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 16 2013, 6:38pm

Post #21 of 39 (364 views)
Shortcut
Okay, two crates of tissues coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

One for Brethil for The Reichenbach Fall and another one for TABA! Oh wait. Better make that a shipload of crates for TABA since it'll be seen by millions.

When it comes to giving the audience devastatingly emotional moments, Martin Freeman is a master (as evidenced by his performance in The Reichenbach Fall). How he didn't manage to garner another BAFTA for that one was beyond me (although I was happy that Andrew Scott won for his brilliant Moriarty, I thought they both should have won!) I'm already biting my nails in anticipation for the ending of TABA.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2013, 6:45pm

Post #22 of 39 (360 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Freeman should have won the BAFTA for RF instead of the year prior or in addition for sure. That performance (well so was Scott's) was an absolute masterpiece. I think the reason they didn't give it to him was because they did give it to him the year prior. We really are in for a treat with TABA. Seriously.

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Mar 16 2013, 6:50pm)

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 16 2013, 7:35pm

Post #23 of 39 (402 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one here... [In reply to] Can't Post

...who has never seen a single episode of Sherlock (or whatever it's called)? Nor do I intend to. I have not seen Mr Cumberbatch in any other role that I can remember either.

This means that I'll be watching Smaug and Bilbo without any other connotations interferring. No recognition of the voice or anything... It also means that I will watch all that without any prior expectations. I want to see Smaug because I like dragons. I want to see Bilbo and Smaug interact because I love that part in the book. I hope that it will blow me away, but I am fully aware that it could completely go the other way. I hope that PJ and Cumberbatch do Smaug justice, but since I love that part in the book so much, I am not sure that it will live up to my expectations or my imagination.

Ardamr
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 7:49pm

Post #24 of 39 (335 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it either [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wasn't planning on hearing Cumberbatch in anything, but I watched the trailer for the new Star Trek and heard him in it. So now I just don't care. I plan to watch Sherlock soon because I hear it's fantastic.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manw; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 16 2013, 8:18pm

Post #25 of 39 (341 views)
Shortcut
You are in for a treat [In reply to] Can't Post

As others have said, Sherlock is wonderful - though if you want to see the Bilbo/Smaug scenes untainted, avoid googling Smauglock. You don't want to know what people think those two get up to in their spare time!

Sherlock has as many fanatical fans as LOTR and The Hobbit and right now they are hugely excited as filming for the third series begins on Monday.

Here are the two serious thespians preparing for their roles at the read through:

https://twitter.com/...500215406593/photo/1

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.