Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
More hiking photos.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 16 2013, 7:27pm

Post #1 of 17 (201 views)
Shortcut
More hiking photos. Can't Post

Yesterday Uncle Baggins and I hiked up to Cub Lake, and saw more of the Fern Lake Fire damage. I posted some photos last month, but this time we got a little farther. He took all of these photos. You can see on the top of the ridge where the fire was especially hot: it cracked some of the boulders. http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y274/KarenSDR/Cub%20Lake%202013-03-16/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 6:19am

Post #2 of 17 (112 views)
Shortcut
Had to look up where you were... [In reply to] Can't Post

Colorado!

good pics! Found some other images for Cub Lake and it seems to have a lot of spatterdock (the yellow waterlily) in the summer. We have that here in PA, on one of my favorite lakes.

We do not, fortunately, have moose (most hazardous creature in Alaska, perhaps Colorado too).

Went through CO back in 1984. Rockies, Whoot! July, snowdrifts, black black blackest sky ever, nine gazillion stars... freezing at night... in July. Day sky, deep deep blue at 12,500 ft. Came down out of it to Denver, and a crummy little hamburger joint with a kid with no expression flipping burgers morosely... and on the really awful radio system: John Denver's Rocky Mountain High... I kid you not.

Go outside and play...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 6:53am

Post #3 of 17 (112 views)
Shortcut
Were you able to see the photos OK? [In reply to] Can't Post

A facebook friend complained that she was getting an annoying popup ad that made them hard to see.

Yeah, moose can be hazardous, especially if you run into one with a car.

Were you driving over I 70 on that trip? Sounds like it. It's a lovely drive. I don't care much for Denver myself, mostly because of the traffic.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 9:41am

Post #4 of 17 (124 views)
Shortcut
Lovely pictures :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can view them fine, there are no pop-ups that get in the way (there's one banner type popup at the very top of the page, and another below the "summary" panel.)

I particularly like #s 17 and 6. How high are the mountains there?

Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 17 2013, 12:31pm

Post #5 of 17 (102 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to imagine fire so hot [In reply to] Can't Post

that it cracks and flakes rocks! What is really eerie to me, are the orange-ish "fire bruises" on some of the burned trees, it makes it look like the fire is still burning in them.

It also brings to mind, sadly, the Ent that went up in flames at Isengard...

Even with crampons on, it looks like it was very slick in places for walking. I've found that trails tend to "ice up" more that the surrounding woods - is it because snow runoff pools onto these flatter areas?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 12:31pm

Post #6 of 17 (106 views)
Shortcut
The mountains in these photos are about 12,000 feet above sea level. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess the most prominent one in the background is almost a thirteener. The highest mountain in the park is about 14,000 feet. The elevation where we were were hiking in those photos is probably about 9,000 feet at the highest.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 17 2013, 12:36pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 12:39pm

Post #7 of 17 (109 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

Trails tend to become streams in the spring, and they can freeze at night. And of course they get beaten down by footprints. These trails weren't as slick as they look, because it was about sixty degrees and the snow was slushy. We saw several people in sneakers and even sandals. Uncle Baggins kept commenting to me, tongue in cheek, "Gee, I should have worn my shorts and tank top and sandals," after we'd pass by someone so attired. I don't know how they managed to keep from falling going downhill on the icy bits, though. We didn't have crampons, but we did have chains on our boots. They really help.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 17 2013, 12:44pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 2:32pm

Post #8 of 17 (112 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Aunt Dora. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they say occasional fires are a part of nature to the point that prescribed burns are implemented if fires haven't opened up space to the point that things could become dangerous, but this must be hard to look at for you basically being your backyard from what I've seen you post before. As I'm planning on heading your way in 2015 (the anniversary), I'm curious. Is the damage very widespread? It's hard to tell scale from photos sometimes, but it looks like the Cub Lake area was hit pretty badly. I also see on the shuttle website that the shuttle route seems to be a mess at the moment.

The mountains and lake are still beautiful, of course.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 7:14pm

Post #9 of 17 (99 views)
Shortcut
The fire damage is spotty. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course we were taking photos of the burned areas, because that's what was interesting to us. But it's been interesting to see how spotty the damage is. One tree will be burned and all around it will be unburned trees. And of course a lot of the park didn't burn at all. It kind of depends on the drought, but if we get enough water, I'm expecting the burned meadows to be brilliant with wildflowers this summer.

I don't find the fires to be that sad. I find the beetle kill to be sadder, but the fires will open up those pine cones and reseed the forests. And of course the mountains don't change, at least in our lifetimes. I'm itching to get up to the Ute Trail and look down on the burn area from above, but the road up to the trailhead won't be open for several more months (and maybe later than usual, since the park's budget was cut.)

If it works into your schedule, I'd love to meet you when you come out in 2015. I like collecting TORnsibs :-) And if you want any advice on things to see, let me know.

I'm looking forward to the centennial. My father in law, who passed away a couple of years ago, was born in 1915, and used to talk all the time about how he and the park were the same age. <3

Anyway, I think you'll have a lot of beautiful scenery to look at, and by the time you come maybe little pine seedlings will be coming up. The shuttle route is mostly a mess because they're doing construction that's unrelated to the fires. I'm sure it will be together by the time you come. They've already made a lot of progress. They moved a section of the road that was near a stream and was causing erosion, up higher on the hill. We grumbled about it, but since we've driven on it, we love the new vistas you can see from the road now. And they're going to turn the old section of road into a hiking trail, which should be really nice along the rushing water.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 7:57pm

Post #10 of 17 (104 views)
Shortcut
Way too early to plan yet, of course, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll definitely try to remember to PM you when the time comes. I'd love to have a trail buddy or even just do dinner somewhere in Estes Park. I don't know if I'll have anyone coming with me yet, but my plan is to stay at the Stanley for five nights, using the shuttle to and from the Denver Airport into Estes and then using the Estes shuttle into the park. I'm only dipping into research slightly so far, but from what I see I think I'm most interested in wildlife watching at Moraine Park, taking the quick walk to Alberta Falls, and of course walking around the famous Bear Lake area. Definitely not a Long's Peaker, but I'm debating whether or not I might be up to tackling Flattop. The strenuous ranking is giving me a bit of pause as I'm not an experienced hiker.

At any rate, it sounds like the fires didn't cause nearly as much damage as the epic Yellowstone fires of 88. I was at Yellowstone two years ago and you could definitely still see the effects. In fact, it changed the park so much that one of the visitor's center has a permanent exhibit about it.

By the way, have you seen the beautiful anniversary logo that has been unveiled yet?

http://www.nps.gov/romo/parknews/pr_centennial_logo_announcement.htm

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 8:12pm

Post #11 of 17 (95 views)
Shortcut
I'm not a Longs Peaker either :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

Flattop is about the limit of my abilities these days, but I'm always the slowest person on the trail, so you might be fine. The trail from Bear Lake up to Emerald Lake is relatively easy and spectacular; the most bang for your buck anywhere in the park, which is why it's so popular.

What time of year are you thinking of coming? Fall and winter are the best times to see elk; you'd probably see them on the grounds at the Stanley. In the summer they go up to the tundra, and you can see them along Trail Ridge Road.

That logo is lovely :-)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 8:41pm

Post #12 of 17 (100 views)
Shortcut
I do like wildflowers [In reply to] Can't Post

so I was sort of thinking early June to be sure of the weather not getting too cold and the shuttle definitely running as I will be dependent on it. Since I'm shuttle dependent I think that means no Trail Ridge Road for me from what I can tell, am I right?

Do you highly suggest early fall instead of late spring? I'm assuming you mean early fall as in right after Labor Day before facilities start shutting down what with winter starting pretty early in the Rockies. My Mom and I went to Yellowstone at that time just before the Lake area facilities started shutting down. Although I do love wildflowers, I know that Aspens can be magnificent in full autumn splendor as well, so that's a toss-up.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 17 2013, 10:22pm

Post #13 of 17 (88 views)
Shortcut
July is the height of wildflower season. [In reply to] Can't Post

June might be good in Moraine Park, but some of the trails will still have snow on them. If it works out, I could take you on a drive over Trail Ridge. There's a trail called the Ute Trail across the tundra that is like being on a mountain peak but without the climb.

When I said Fall, I was thinking of the elk lower down. They start bugling in mid September.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Mar 17 2013, 11:02pm

Post #14 of 17 (86 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Aunt Dora. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll mull all that over and PM you when the time comes. I also plan to make my reservations a little earlier than I would otherwise due to the anniversary!

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 18 2013, 2:36am

Post #15 of 17 (81 views)
Shortcut
It would be interesting, [In reply to] Can't Post

to see this area in mid-summer to notice the how fast the greenery recovers . Does it still have an apparent charred smell? Perhaps you noticed the smell of the fractured rock as well getting really close? Curious meBlush

I love Rachel Maddow.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2013, 3:09am

Post #16 of 17 (82 views)
Shortcut
photos... [In reply to] Can't Post

came up fine. Really interesting seeing that landscape, which will, no doubt come back to life in the spring. The shapes and textures of the wood are actually quite beautiful.

Parts of the Iditarod Trail have burned (notably, the Farewell Burn, back in the 80s)... making it difficult to mush over (The Burn had very little snow on it, and present burned areas also seem to be partly devoid of snow).

Have no idea what we were driving over back then, in the 80s, gorgeous landscape... until Denver.

Go outside and play...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 18 2013, 3:31am

Post #17 of 17 (68 views)
Shortcut
Yep, it still smells like ashes. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.