Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What kind of pie do you like?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What kind of pie do you like?
Apple Pie
Cherry Pie
Peach Pie
Rhubarb Pie
Mincemeat Pie
Pecan Pie
Sweet Potato Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Boston Cream Pie
Meat Pie
Banana Cream Pie
Banoffee Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Shepherd's Pie
Derby Pie
Key Lime Pie
Shoofly Pie
Blueberry Pie
Bumbleberry Pie
You forgot my favorite! Let me tell you about it...
View Results (222 votes)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 15 2013, 2:05pm

Post #26 of 63 (212 views)
Shortcut
That sounds delicious! [In reply to] Can't Post

The only meat pies I've really had though are "pot" pies. Despite their name they contain chicken, beef or turkey, with peas, potatoes and carrots. Usually pre-made, but I have made my own chicken pot pie. What you describe sounds so much better--steak and ale pie! Game meat pie...drool :)

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 2:24pm

Post #27 of 63 (206 views)
Shortcut
I love my rhubarb pie. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nightingale
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 2:36pm

Post #28 of 63 (217 views)
Shortcut
I thought Darkstone was back! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Shame he's not here; not that it isn't lovely to see all of you of course... Smile

Another vote for Pork Pie here, although I would like to try Pumpkin pie someday, as I've never eaten it. I think I am heading to the states in the summer, so maybe I will be able to get my hands on some.

And seeing Key Lime reminds me of the time that my mother and I made 80 individual key lime cheesecakes for a family birthday party. I've zested enough limes to last a lifetime. Crazy.

As for what I have on my pie; if it's savory, then chutney. Sweet, then always custard...

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 2:56pm

Post #29 of 63 (200 views)
Shortcut
strawberry-rhubarb! [In reply to] Can't Post

You know it's summer in the Pacific Northwest when the strawberries & rhubarb are ripe.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 15 2013, 3:24pm

Post #30 of 63 (202 views)
Shortcut
true that! [In reply to] Can't Post

(about mother bears, I mean)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15 2013, 4:10pm

Post #31 of 63 (212 views)
Shortcut
And in the Northeast, as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's always someone with an abundance of rhubarb from their one plant, who happily shares it with the rest of us. Combine it with fresh-picked strawberries from the local farmer's stand...mmm...

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2013, 5:07pm

Post #32 of 63 (189 views)
Shortcut
Peach cream pie... [In reply to] Can't Post

family recipe, fresh Western Slope peaches in season, insanely decadent cream from the local dairy, maybe add in a few raspberries from the garden. Only four months to go.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 5:09pm

Post #33 of 63 (192 views)
Shortcut
I've never had rhubarb before [In reply to] Can't Post

But all this talk of it makes me think I'm going to have to try some soon!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 5:21pm

Post #34 of 63 (189 views)
Shortcut
That sounds delicious! // [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 15 2013, 6:12pm

Post #35 of 63 (187 views)
Shortcut
Apple & Blackberry pie [In reply to] Can't Post

or Apple & Raspberry- as made by my mum!
Also like certain meat pies- veal and ham, steak and Cornish pasties
Also fish pie with a filling of cod, smoked haddock, salmon and prawns with vegetables

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Mar 15 2013, 6:27pm

Post #36 of 63 (188 views)
Shortcut
Ah right, that is a coincidence [In reply to] Can't Post

It was just the first header that came to my mind!Laugh

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 7:02pm

Post #37 of 63 (186 views)
Shortcut
it's sour [In reply to] Can't Post

and tart, but combined with strawberries: heaven

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 15 2013, 7:08pm

Post #38 of 63 (208 views)
Shortcut
my dad liked to make a rhubarb sauce [In reply to] Can't Post

...or a rhubarb/strawberry sauce for ice cream. And we've taken to making rhubarb custard pie which we like. Unfortunately, we appear to have the only rhubarb plant in the world that will not produce adequate stalks for harvesting. I suspect the plant is very, very old (it was with the property when we bought it and the two previous tenants who went back decades didn't seem to be people who would care about garden plants). And we don't have much sun so we haven't tried putting in a fresh plant.

And we don't seem to have any friends begging to give some of theirs away! :-) (life in the city)

So, we sometimes get a cup of rhubarb but that's about it.

I love tart fruit.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 15 2013, 7:09pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 7:54pm

Post #39 of 63 (188 views)
Shortcut
No, I've never had mulberry pie... [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife says that she's had loganberry pie and the loganberries are the same as mulberries. She also says that it was very good (also, today--the Ides of March--is her birthday).

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 15 2013, 8:10pm

Post #40 of 63 (180 views)
Shortcut
I don't think they're the same [In reply to] Can't Post

They look similar (also similar to blackberries or raspberries) but mulberries are darker colored (bluish, purplish, black) and grow on trees. It looks like loganberries grow on bushes and are redder. They may taste similarly, though.

Unfortunately, the results of that dark color results in birds leaving unwelcome stains on people's cars. Dang, even the berries falling on cars can stain them.

But it's a plentiful fruit for urban foraging if they grow in your area.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15 2013, 8:12pm

Post #41 of 63 (175 views)
Shortcut
Hot rhubarb over vanilla icecream = omigod more please. / [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 15 2013, 8:18pm

Post #42 of 63 (206 views)
Shortcut
Re too much sun [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in the UK, most rhubarb grown commercially is grown in darkened sheds, which apparently makes the stems grow more than the leaves. I know my mother has tried this in her garden, by putting black refuse sacs over the plants for part of the year, and it seemed to work.She certainly managed to make pot & pots of scrummy rhubarb and ginger jam from it. I'm no gardener, at least as far as fruit and veg go, so I'm not quite sure how this works, since I thought that the leaves must need to photosynthesise a bit, to produce the sugars etc to store in the stems. Anyway, just a thought.....

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 4:09am

Post #43 of 63 (202 views)
Shortcut
You may want to begin with a nice [In reply to] Can't Post

strawberry rhubarb, baked in the flakiest crust you can manage. On its own, rhubarb's unique flavour and stringy texture might take some getting used to. Of the plain rhubarb pies I've had, tapioca and sugar seem to be the other main ingredients. It is quite delicious really, and like strawberries, rhubarb is harbinger of summer.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 5:20pm

Post #44 of 63 (191 views)
Shortcut
Mulberries [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My wife says that she's had loganberry pie and the loganberries are the same as mulberries. She also says that it was very good (also, today--the Ides of March--is her birthday).

I have a nice sized mulberry tree, I share them with the birds and squirrels in May and June.
They are dark, very fragile, blackberry-taste but not as sweet, and they usually come off with a bit of stem, but the stem softens up when you cook it. A very low pectin fruit. I stew it with some sugar as-is and freeze it for ice cream sauce (yummm) also I cook it with some raspberry or strawberry jelly added (for some added sugar and pectin) and make foil-wrapped pie "fills" that I freeze and pop into a crust in the fall, right when you want pie. Super good.
They have to be cooked right away though, they don't keep once picked.
Happy Birthday to your wife, BTW!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 16 2013, 6:51pm

Post #45 of 63 (179 views)
Shortcut
Re: Mulberries [In reply to] Can't Post

My spouse had forgotten that mulberries grow on trees. She (and I) was unaware that loganberries are a hybrid, created in 1883, between blackberries and red raspberries.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 16 2013, 10:18pm

Post #46 of 63 (150 views)
Shortcut
Do you have canned pumpkin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pumpkin pies tend to be more of a fall and winter pie here, but they can be found at other times of the year.

Here's a recipe for pumpkin pie, if you can get a can of pureed pumpkin:
- Sift together 1 c. sugar, 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Mix this into 15 oz (425 g) pureed pumpkin. Beat in 2 eggs, 1 1/2 tbsp. melted butter, 1/8 c. molasses, and one 12-oz. (340 g) can evaporated milk (or 1 1/2 c. milk can be used instead). Pour into a 9-in. pie plate lined with an unbaked pastry crust. Bake at 450 F for 15 min., then 350 F for 50 min. or until a knife slid into it comes out clean (nothing sticking to it).

Try to not eat the entire pie at one sitting. Wink

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2013, 1:52am

Post #47 of 63 (138 views)
Shortcut
Raspberry pie is good every day [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, I don't eat it every day. I'm lucky if I get it once a year.

Heatherleawv
Bree

Mar 17 2013, 1:53am

Post #48 of 63 (165 views)
Shortcut
Gotta [In reply to] Can't Post

go with Pecan Pie. Especially when made by my aunt! I was glad to see mincemeat on the list, my grandmother used to make it alot for my dad and his siblings. Smile

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2013, 6:26am

Post #49 of 63 (141 views)
Shortcut
ermahgherd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

strawberry rhubarb!!!!!!!!!

nothing compares...

swordwhale
Grey Havens

Mar 17 2013, 6:31am

Post #50 of 63 (146 views)
Shortcut
and lots of real whippy cream on the pumpkin pie... and cinnamon [In reply to] Can't Post

I've found squash and pumpkin one of the few things that will just grow if i throw it in the ground (I have a relatively black thumb)... I still have some sitting on the enclosed porch that I picked in October last year...

What I can't figure out is what kind of battleaxe i need to cut the darn things open...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.