Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
richard armitage -- other great roles for him in the tolkien universe?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 14 2013, 11:40pm

Post #1 of 55 (1790 views)
Shortcut
richard armitage -- other great roles for him in the tolkien universe? Can't Post

richard armitage has said he's attracted to characters who are conflicted and complicated. so i can see why he was attracted to the role of thorin.

that got me thinking of other tolkien roles he might play (and he's got great range, so he could tackle a lot).

i know he's stated that he would have enjoyed playing wormtongue. but here's my pick:

i think he'd make a +phenomenal+ feanor. +phenomenal+.

what say you?

aka. fili orc-enshield

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 14 2013, 11:56pm

Post #2 of 55 (1130 views)
Shortcut
"Conflicted and complicated"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I'd say Fëanor fits that to a T! I'd love to see RA do that, actually.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 14 2013, 11:59pm

Post #3 of 55 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Wow.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, he is "my" Thorin...so it would be hard, perhaps, to transfer...but my goodness, what force he could bring to Feanor. Then again if he played Feanor with no prosthetics he wouldn't look the same I suppose. Can't get much more darkly passionate and conflicted.

To err is human, to Hoom is Entish.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 12:02am

Post #4 of 55 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Turin [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he'd do a great Turin. Now that I come to think of it, of the actors that I am familiar with, I think he'd be the best fit for such a role.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manwë; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

daemoon
Rivendell

Mar 15 2013, 12:02am

Post #5 of 55 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Túrin Turambar [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion he would make a fantastic Túrin.

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 12:05am

Post #6 of 55 (1064 views)
Shortcut
yes, the lack of prosthetics [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, the lack of prosthetics makes this a role he could swing as easily as he swings orcrist.

aka. fili orc-enshield

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 12:14am

Post #7 of 55 (1071 views)
Shortcut
plus, if he played feanor [In reply to] Can't Post

plus, if he played feanor, there's the theoretical chance he'd get to do some scenes with cate blanchett as galadriel.

those two fantastic actors, together. yes, indeed. what nice, conflicted scenes they would have.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 12:44am

Post #8 of 55 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Bad fit for Feanor [In reply to] Can't Post

He's just not tall enough. Tongue

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2013, 12:50am

Post #9 of 55 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Using the same actor [In reply to] Can't Post

for different roles in an adaptation of any tolkien material is not something particularly creative or inspired..

Keep him away please. Plenty of great actors out there.

However, ill say he would make a great extra for a Numenorian guard captain or something...

Vous commencez ŕ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 15 2013, 12:52am

Post #10 of 55 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Feanor or Turnin [In reply to] Can't Post

Both are conflicted characters and I think he could play Feanor, and as others suggested, Turin too.

imin
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 1:12am

Post #11 of 55 (987 views)
Shortcut
Turin [In reply to] Can't Post

Though i think if he were to take on that role it would cause too many women to cry 'again! why always him!' (talking about the ending incase its not obvious enough, lol).

Kullervo
Rivendell

Mar 15 2013, 1:51am

Post #12 of 55 (973 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

After reading the subject line I immediately thought he would make a great Turin. And if they ever make a movie based on Kalevala, I think he would also make a pretty good Kullervo (of whom's story Tolkien drew a lot of inspiration for Turin), though he might be a bit too old, and Kullervo is traditionally pictured with blond hair, and I don't know how good Armitage's finnish is. Wink But even so, I think Armitage has that tragic weight and conflicted quality to him that is essential to both Turin and Kullervo.

(This post was edited by Kullervo on Mar 15 2013, 1:55am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 2:06am

Post #13 of 55 (974 views)
Shortcut
Kullervo [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never read the Kalevala, but I have heard that Turin's story was drawn quite a bit from it. Yes, I think that he would be great as Turin.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manwë; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 2:08am

Post #14 of 55 (952 views)
Shortcut
Aldarion [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he could also do a great Aldarion. Proud, willful, tragic ultimately. Yep, he could do it.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 15 2013, 3:41am

Post #15 of 55 (941 views)
Shortcut
He would be by the time the filmmakers got done with him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Their bag of tricks is up to that, no problem.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 8:47am

Post #16 of 55 (870 views)
Shortcut
I think with a bit of make-up he would be a great Hurin. [In reply to] Can't Post

For Turin I sometimes think of - dare I say it? - Stuart Townsend. James McAvoy also has a Turin feeling, I think (never understood why he seemed to be such a frontrunner in the eyes of many to play Bilbo).

Actually, in many ways I think of "The Children of Hurin" as the book most suitable for a movie of all canon Middle-earth books.

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:48am

Post #17 of 55 (849 views)
Shortcut
i will also add [In reply to] Can't Post

thingol
though mighty, made a lot of bad choices. stubborn, willful, and sowed the seeds of his own destruction.

maeglin
unrequited love. an outcast scion welcomed home, only to (willfully) betray the entire kingdom, as well as his family, to the most cruel and ruthless of enemies. utter ruin. plus, he tries to kill a baby (his own cousin). that's pretty darn dark.

my vote is still for feanor, btw.

also, for any who are thinking this casting thread is uncreative or a bad idea, please keep in mind that this thread is really in the spirit of a fantasy football league. there's nothing uncreative about imagining how the talents of an actor might flourish in another role.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box.

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:50am

Post #18 of 55 (823 views)
Shortcut
ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He's just not tall enough. Tongue

stoutflies, ha!!! : ) pfffffft.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:55am

Post #19 of 55 (817 views)
Shortcut
totally forgot about the numenoreans [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think he could also do a great Aldarion. Proud, willful, tragic ultimately. Yep, he could do it.

totally forgot about the numenoreans.

aldarion = great pick. to which i will add:

ar-pharazon.
rebelling (and trying to conquer) the gods. blasphemy. cruelty. utter catastrophe, which includes the sinking of an entire country beneath the waves and the death of an entire nation (except those few fortunate enough to escape in some of the ships).

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2013, 12:30pm

Post #20 of 55 (841 views)
Shortcut
NBA [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, to film Feanor's story Hollywood would need to raid the NBA for talent. Tongue

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 12:49pm

Post #21 of 55 (795 views)
Shortcut
arithmancer, hah!! [In reply to] Can't Post

feanor... sure, you captured the holy light of the two trees in the well-nigh indestructable silmarils. but can you sink a basket from half-court with six seconds left on the clock?

(and with that, my sports references are well-nigh exhausted. )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 4:34pm

Post #22 of 55 (783 views)
Shortcut
Ar-Pharazon [In reply to] Can't Post

That's another good one. I would love to see a movie about the drowning of Numenor. I think it would be fantastic.

Marionette
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 7:35pm

Post #23 of 55 (722 views)
Shortcut
Definitely, Fëanor [In reply to] Can't Post

He would be playing ANOTHER of my favorite Tolkien characters. My favorite from The Silmarillion.

I guess I am like him in the side of audience, I like conflicted and complicated characters

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:16pm

Post #24 of 55 (675 views)
Shortcut
wish there was more numenorean history from tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

that was a culture that, as it crested and at its zenith, rivaled that of the greatest elven kingdoms. powerful enough to battle sauron and bring him captive to numenor ('tho it seems plenty plausible that sauron let himself be captured so as to conquer the numenoreans from within).

since we're dealing with a sinking, if peter jackson isn't available, we could toss the project to james cameron. he can develop new diving and camera technology to get the underwater footage of sunken numenor.

cheers --.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 11:25pm

Post #25 of 55 (674 views)
Shortcut
Numenor [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't even want Peter Jackson to tackle it. It's a completely different era, not to mention a completely different place. I would want to see Numenor be different from Middle-earth. Get some new blood in there. I think Cameron could be a good director, especially since visuals are his forte, but I'd certainly want someone else to write the script.

But about Numenorean history. You're read Unfinished Tales, right? There's a marvelous amount of history and information about Numenor in there. There's also a tiny bit to be gleaned from Tal-Elmar in The Peoples of Middle-earth.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.