Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Whats your favourite sequence?

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 13 2013, 2:02pm

Post #1 of 15 (800 views)
Shortcut
Whats your favourite sequence? Can't Post

There have been many posts about favourite scenes and moments,single shots,vistas etc.there's probably been one about sequences too but if so I missed it!.....so what's your favourite sequence?and by that I mean a series of scenes that are linked together directly and all part of the same 'chapter' if you like.I have a few......
The scenes in moria from when we first hear the balrog through to the fellowships escape.

The sequence at amon hen from where frodo sees sting glow blue through to boromirs death.awesome!

The opening of TTT till gandalf hits the water.

But I think my favourite sequence of the whole trilogy is the lighting of the beacons.its just so magical,breathtaking and completely awesome.its not at all as it is in the book but it just demonstrates what cinema can achieve when its done with skill and care.I never tire of seeing this and love to watch with my youngest two children as they look for the next beacon to be lit.
I clearly remember watching it in the cinema back in 2003,on a screen that at the time was one of the biggest in the country,and literally having my breath taken away as the music swirled and built and the eagles eye camera took us sweeping and flying over the white mountains,then to culminate in aragorn seeing the last beacon and realising what it meant.brilliant!! I'm pretty sure prof Tolkien would have approved of that particular sequence himself. SmileWink

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 13 2013, 4:58pm

Post #2 of 15 (559 views)
Shortcut
Sequence, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a tough one. I think I would probably say from the moment that the fellowship enters Lothlorien to the end of the Mirror of Galadriel. Ethereal, magical, wonderful, mysterious. I just think it's perfect.

Another good one is the end of Return of the King. Going from right after Aragorn bows to the hobbits through to the very end. It just feels like the perfect wrap up to a very long journey.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manwë; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

Elutherian
Rohan

Mar 13 2013, 5:46pm

Post #3 of 15 (569 views)
Shortcut
That's a difficult choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

...There are so many great moments.

I think my favorite is still The Ride of the Rohirrim. I find it hard to sit down during that scene.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Mar 13 2013, 6:02pm

Post #4 of 15 (547 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say that my favourite sequence starts with the Fellowship's departure from Rivendell and ends with Gandalf's fall in Moria. When Gandalf is supposedly lost the Fellowship is never the same again and without his leadership it quickly falls apart, though Aragorn tries his best to keep them together. But the spirit of the Fellowship quickly fades and things become much more gloomy without the Wizard (and Galadriel doesn't exactly help to lighten the mood...lol). Those scenes just have such power, from the booming trumpets playing as the Fellowship first departs to the atmosphere throughout the entire Moria section.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2013, 8:31pm

Post #5 of 15 (553 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna do a top 3, [In reply to] Can't Post

in no particular order...

Just before Moria (when the Lurker attacks) >>> Just after Moria (when Frodo gives that look). I love everything about the Moria sequence-- the great effects (bigatures!), Gollum following and Gandalf's conversation with Frodo, the cave troll fight, Gandalf v. Balrog. Only thing i don't like: "Lean forward" (just physically impossible).

Boromir confronting Frodo >>> the end of Fellowship. All of it is pulled off flawlessly- Frodo escaping Boromir, Frodo and Aragorn, Boromir defending the hobbits and then his death, Aragorn v. Lurtz, Frodo's choice and Howard Shore's music, Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn setting off after Merry and Pippin (especially Gimli's "Yes!"), Frodo and Sam setting off for Mordor. All of it beautifully acted, photographed, edited and scored.

Arrival of the Rohirrim >>> The end of the Mumakil attack. My favorite battle sequence of all time.

Runner's Up: Helm's Deep (orcs arrival to Haldir's death), the destruction of the Ring (Gollum's arrival to Eagle rescue).

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 14 2013, 12:58am

Post #6 of 15 (539 views)
Shortcut
And I Cry [In reply to] Can't Post

every time I see it. Breathing-taking and beautiful. The idea that they are riding into a battle they know they cannot win is devastating. Yet some how good triumphs, albeit with great loss. Tolkien's understanding of sacrifice and the ultimate triumph of good is why these stories will last until the end of time.

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 14 2013, 2:38pm

Post #7 of 15 (511 views)
Shortcut
good call. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any scenes that include the Rohirrim are great.one of the magic things they managed to do in the movie is that when the riders charge the lines of mordor,the wide shot shows Theoden flying out ahead of the rest.this is just brilliant as it brings a couple of lines from the book completely to life.
"After him thundered the knights of his house,but he was ever before them.Eomer rode there,the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed,and the front of the first eored roared like a breaker foaming on the shore,but Theoden could not be overtaken"
I believe its things like this that make people forget what they disagree with in the movies because to fans like me it truly is like the pages of the book actually coming to life.and it is also what lifts these movies head and shoulders above anything else of its kind.no script,no speaking or acting,just pure imagary.magic Smile

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

Finwe
Lorien

Mar 14 2013, 8:48pm

Post #8 of 15 (473 views)
Shortcut
Ride of the Rohirrim [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the cut from the Witch-king taunting Gandalf, then the sudden sounding of the horns of Theoden, Theoden's speech, the charge of the riders, and finally the fear in the eyes of the orcs.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2013, 11:42am

Post #9 of 15 (444 views)
Shortcut
The beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But I think my favourite sequence of the whole trilogy is the lighting of the beacons.its just so magical,breathtaking and completely awesome.its not at all as it is in the book but it just demonstrates what cinema can achieve when its done with skill and care.I never tire of seeing this and love to watch with my youngest two children as they look for the next beacon to be lit.
I clearly remember watching it in the cinema back in 2003,on a screen that at the time was one of the biggest in the country,and literally having my breath taken away as the music swirled and built and the eagles eye camera took us sweeping and flying over the white mountains,then to culminate in aragorn seeing the last beacon and realising what it meant.brilliant!! I'm pretty sure prof Tolkien would have approved of that particular sequence himself. SmileWink

You're right--absolutely breathtaking! And even though you know that the beacons are all going to be lit, you are still holding your breath to see if/where the next one flames up... Such a beautiful way to convey desperate hope...

And then the practical side of me thinks: I feel SO sorry for the souls who get stationed on some of those remote beacon posts. How do they get up there? How long do they have to stay? Is it an honor or a punishment to be assigned to one? Just can't help myself from wondering! Blush

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 15 2013, 1:38pm

Post #10 of 15 (435 views)
Shortcut
If I was forced to pick one from each movie: [In reply to] Can't Post

FotR: Prologue

TTT: Arwen's fate ("Aragorn will Die")

RotK: The Ride of the Rohirrim

AUJ: Riddles

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 15 2013, 3:55pm

Post #11 of 15 (428 views)
Shortcut
Sequences from each movie [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many to choose from, but my favorites are:

FotR: Gandalf's battle with the Balrog.

TTT: Last March of the Ents. I get goosebumps every time I watch it, and always think that Saruman has no idea what he's in for!

RotK: I actually have 2 favorites here.
1) Sam, Frodo and Gollum at the Cracks of Doom and the final destruction of the Ring.
2) Ride of the Rohirrim/Battle of the Pelennor Fields. I'm not a big fan of battle scenes, but this is so epic, and Bernard Hill's performance as Theoden is one of the best in the movie trilogy.

AUJ: The Unexpected Party!

Thank you andwise for this thread!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 15 2013, 4:56pm

Post #12 of 15 (419 views)
Shortcut
thanks aragalen.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Always interesting to hear others thoughts on stuff like this.there are so many to choose from and its interesting to hear peoples reasons and thoughts behind why they like it.cheers guys.keep posting Smile

Elutherian
Rohan

Mar 15 2013, 6:14pm

Post #13 of 15 (414 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR: Borimir picking up the ring after Frodo drops it on Caradhras. "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing."

TTT: Tie - Gandalf's arrival at Helm's Deep and Sam's "Great Stories" monologue.

ROTK: Ride of the Rohirrim

AUJ: Gandalf and Galadriel after the White Council.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Mar 15 2013, 6:56pm

Post #14 of 15 (414 views)
Shortcut
There are many great sequences, [In reply to] Can't Post

and every time I think 'Wow, this is my favourite in all three films', I remember another one that is equally great or maybe better. However, I'll just pick some that come to my mind now, though I'm sure I'll remember others tomorrow.

- FOTR: The whole sequence in The Prancing Pony. It's great to see the hobbits out of their natural environment in this completely different world that is full of tall people. Also, the great atmosphere when Frodo asks "Who are they?" followed by Aragorn telling about the nazgul.

- FOTR: The entire sequence from the encounter between Boromir and Frodo in the wood to Boromir's death.

- TTT: Frodo, Sam, and Sméagol(!) in Ithilien.

- TTT: The look into Arwen's future. So dark and sad, and wonderfully narrated.

- ROTK: The entire sequence when Pippin is singing in Minas Tirith. The contrast between Denethor eating, and his son riding to almost certain death, together with the score is just amazing.

- ROTK: From Aragorn's speech in front of the black gate to Pippin yelling "The eagles are coming!".

- ROTK: The end credits. Just when you're really depressed that it's all over, there come these beautiful drawings. By the way, does anyone know who drew them?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 16 2013, 2:20pm

Post #15 of 15 (418 views)
Shortcut
I really cannot choose! But... [In reply to] Can't Post

regarding how you felt about seeing ROTK in theater in 2003 - I just wanted to share my experience. I had missed the theatrical releases of all three films and so I first watched them all on DVD at home. And for several years that was all I did. Then last year I saw them in theater in the special re-releases. They were all fabulous, but what was especially striking was the difference between seeing ROTK on a small screen vs seeing it in a theater sized screen. With FOTR and TTT, of course they were better in theater too, but with ROTK it was astoundingly different, it became truly epic. So many of the scenes were just breathtaking. And the lighting of the beacons was absolutely, absolutely thrilling!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.