Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Edge of Wild - The tombs or Beorn ?!

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 1:24pm

Post #1 of 10 (691 views)
Shortcut
The Edge of Wild - The tombs or Beorn ?! Can't Post

I always wondered if the second part oft this Bonus Track refers to Gandalfs investigation of the tombs or introducing Beorn/ bis transformation...

Any Ideas or suggestions ?!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2013, 1:35pm

Post #2 of 10 (320 views)
Shortcut
I think it was originally meant to play during the dwarves trek across the misty mountains, [In reply to] Can't Post

Before the stone giant scene as a veriation, but for some reason they thought we haven't heard the misty mountain theme enough Tongue
Thorin says something about that "we have reached the edge of the wild" before that, so

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

utku
Rivendell

Mar 12 2013, 2:30pm

Post #3 of 10 (285 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe more walking for EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Because you know, New Zealand is gorgeous. Smile

RhodeCamelot
The Shire

Mar 12 2013, 2:38pm

Post #4 of 10 (272 views)
Shortcut
Either way it's an awesome song! [In reply to] Can't Post

The opening of the track....so astoundingly beautiful.....and.....majestic!!! (Sorry i couldn't help myself OTL)
Sometimes i'd just plop onto my sofa with my ipod and curl up, with my playlist "An Unexpected Journey" -- you guessed it -- playing all 17 tracks and 130+ minutes of soundtracks Heart
Yes i get mushy over this stuff easily. No i'm not at my peak of mushiness/spazzing (the internet has my mercy for now)
And nope i don't actually have as much time as i sound like i have; i should be studying even as i type but.... /PROCRASTINATION QUEEN/

Dayummm i love AUJ's soundtrack so so much! Basically all of Howard's Middle-Earth-related music in general :D
Not a music expert so i shan't delve into analysis on the motifs and stuff(so called because i am at a loss for music jargon)....however after the 2 minute mark in the track, i hear music that i associate with the Necromancer....so your guess of Gandalf's investigations sounds quite valid :>

Perhaps you could find an answer, or something similar enough, on Doug Adam's music blog? /i haven't read it in quite a while tho/ His answers are highly informative yet n00b-friendly (Y)

#dftba

Excuse me, sorry to interrupt but what should i do with my plate?

RhodeCamelot
The Shire

Mar 12 2013, 2:42pm

Post #5 of 10 (283 views)
Shortcut
Dya know whot [In reply to] Can't Post

you just inspired me to create a new AUJ-soundtrack-appretiation-thread! :DD

....Seeing as i was getting a tad ahead of myself and going of track in my previous reply... /paiseh/
I think i'ma type the thread tomorrow, since it's near 11pm where i am and i have school tomorrow and i'm kinda sleepy, already.....severe lack of sleep these days 'cause it's test season Unsure

Okay that's about it sorry not sorry for wasting *your* time with my medc(more economically developed country) problems/complaints /gets yanked off stage by hooked cane/

#dftba

Excuse me, sorry to interrupt but what should i do with my plate?

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

Mar 13 2013, 6:42pm

Post #6 of 10 (111 views)
Shortcut
An attempt of me to analyse "The Edge of the Wild" [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you that the first part of the song feels like a waking theme and your argument of Thorin Saying "The Edge of the Wild" makes it only logical that this theme was originally mend to be playing when they walked out Rivendel.

However after one minute (and a couple of seconds), the glorious theme evolves to a very dramatic theme. Maybe this means that in the EE "The Edge of the Wild" will be heard with a new scene (Gandalf entering Dol Guldur)?

After two minutes (and 5 seconds) "The Edge of the Wild" changes to a sober, very dark and suspicious mood in total contradiction to it's beginning! (Gandalf searching the dungeons of Dol Guldur?)

In the end of the track (3 minutes and 20 seconds) the music "suddenly makes a big bang" (Thrain II attacking Gandalf?)

Anyway it's a very odd bonus track that gives us fresh food to analyse and specultate!!!Laugh

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 13 2013, 7:21pm

Post #7 of 10 (92 views)
Shortcut
the "bang"... [In reply to] Can't Post

..to me is the moment they recognize or see that the spells are broken and leave the tombs as fast as they can...my guess ;-)

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

Mar 13 2013, 8:19pm

Post #8 of 10 (84 views)
Shortcut
"The High Fells" [In reply to] Can't Post

You're suggestion could be true that this track plays along with "the High Fells" scene. Notice the difference between Gandalf discovering Thain II in Dol Guldur and "the High Fells scene" which fans suggest is a scene about Radagast and Gandalf I think finding the Witch King's tomb to be empty.

Anyway, this could mean that the High Fell Scene is in the EE accompanied with "The Edge of the Wild"-track !!!
(And the Thrain II scene will be then for tDOS)

Mrredbirdy
The Shire

Mar 13 2013, 8:22pm

Post #9 of 10 (83 views)
Shortcut
"The Edge of The Wild" in the EE! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a post of someone at a forum about the "High Fells scene":

There's been a lot of discussion about that scene. The WETA chronicles artbook that I have, explains that there was a sequence just after Rivendell, where Thorin and the dwarves are going across the mountains, whilst Radagast and Gandalf invesitage the Nazgul tombs, which in the films are located in the High Fells. They investigate the tombs, with Gandalf going down a steep flight of stairs, and eventually finding to their shock that all the Nazgul tombs have been opened, from the inside. Strong implication from that is that the Necromancer has gathered all the Nazgul to Dol Guldur already.

This scene was clearly shot, but did not make the theatrical edition. We could see it in the extended edition. It seems like a great scene and I think it should have made the cut, as it gives both Radagast and the Necromancer subplot some more airtime, which now seems a rather underserved part of the film's storyline.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 13 2013, 9:09pm

Post #10 of 10 (89 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed [In reply to] Can't Post

that we will see it,no mather where. if it has been a late cut i have the question: why it has been cutted ?! i know a lot in here dont care about the scene but iam really anticipating to see it !!!

can you give the link from the forum plz ?!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.