Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Aragog vs. Shelob

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 21 2013, 9:46pm

Post #1 of 24 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Aragog vs. Shelob Can't Post

Who would win in a battle of the giant spiders? Aragog from Harry Potter or Shelob from LOTR. Personally, I am leaning towards Shelob.

True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 22 2013, 4:06am

Post #2 of 24 (782 views)
Shortcut
Shelob, [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe Shelob has more powers than Aragog. She is an offspring of Unguliant after all.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 22 2013, 8:23am

Post #3 of 24 (828 views)
Shortcut
Shelob, since ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rowling stole the idea of Aragog from Tolkien.

*runs for cover*

Wink

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 22 2013, 6:21pm

Post #4 of 24 (782 views)
Shortcut
Nicely stated DanielLB...just as she stole dementors from the Nazgul and Dumbledore from Gandalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way the name is pretty much Aragorn with a slight change at the end. As they say, the proof is in the pudding (or in this case it's blatantly obvious).

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 1:19am

Post #5 of 24 (768 views)
Shortcut
Aragog. [In reply to] Can't Post

He has his many children to distract Shelob while he goes in for the kill.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 23 2013, 9:47am

Post #6 of 24 (744 views)
Shortcut
For the record ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only *half* kidding. Wink You can find similarities in many books. Many are coincidences ... others are not ...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 23 2013, 10:17am

Post #7 of 24 (722 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob has children too, she just drove them away. If they were still with her she would win, given that they'd surely be much more powerful than HP spiders.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 23 2013, 10:51am

Post #8 of 24 (755 views)
Shortcut
If I remember correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a mention of someone named "Proudfoot" in either The Half-Blooded Prince or The Deathly Hallows. If that is a coincidence, I'll bite my finger off.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Feb 23 2013, 10:58am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 23 2013, 8:56pm

Post #9 of 24 (709 views)
Shortcut
And Wormtail ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 4:13am

Post #10 of 24 (819 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but her children *aren't* with her. [In reply to] Can't Post

She had long ago eaten or driven away her children, which gives Aragog an advantage. Sure he's deadly, but he's a family guy. Critter. Whatever.

Family tag-teaming FTW.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 6:02am

Post #11 of 24 (688 views)
Shortcut
It's 'Padfoot', as in [In reply to] Can't Post

Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs - the creators of the Marauder's Map. Padfoot is the code name for Harry's godfather, Sirius Black. Yes, I do happen to be rereading that particular series at the moment...Wink

And my vote goes for Shelob over Aragog, if only because her origins are so much more nefarious.

As for authors' influence on subsequent generations, it's unavoidable, and not necessarily to be disparaged, unless the later work is strictly derivative or otherwise unimaginative in its incorporation of familiar elements.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 28 2013, 12:11pm

Post #12 of 24 (685 views)
Shortcut
There really was a Proudfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the link to the wiki:
http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Proudfoot

Enjoy the re-read!

It's true what you say about the influence. Some things just strike me as too similar.

Smile

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Feb 28 2013, 12:13pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 8:45pm

Post #13 of 24 (658 views)
Shortcut
Ah - one of those blink-and-you-miss-it mentions// [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 10:40pm

Post #14 of 24 (673 views)
Shortcut
And not forgetting * spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

the similar effects on the wearer/bearer of the Ring and the locket Horcrux!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Luinnár
Rivendell

Mar 8 2013, 1:40pm

Post #15 of 24 (645 views)
Shortcut
Shelob, defiantly. [In reply to] Can't Post

She is a lot more ancient and cunning and the large spiders from LOTR have a tendency of killing and then consuming their own kind.

ringme
The Shire

Mar 9 2013, 12:27am

Post #16 of 24 (631 views)
Shortcut
amazing spiderwoman [In reply to] Can't Post

Shelob couldn't even stab that lardy hick Samwise Gamgee so she obviously lacks stinger to eye coordination

imin
Valinor

Mar 9 2013, 1:06am

Post #17 of 24 (643 views)
Shortcut
Is Sam fat in the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wondering if him being in shape makes her inability to kill him any less embarrassing.

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 9 2013, 9:20am

Post #18 of 24 (641 views)
Shortcut
I cannot find any reference [In reply to] Can't Post

to Sam being fat in the book- I have wondered that a few times when watching the movies and hearing Sean Astin going on about how fat he had to be. Sam is described as having a "round Hobbit face" but nowhere is he described as fat per se. All Hobbits have round faces. The only one of the four hobbits who is described as being fat, ironically, is Frodo, at the beginning of the book- but we can't have a lead character in a film being overweight can we?! (irony) Anyway, after all the privations they have suffered by the time they reach Shelob's lair, would either of them still be fat anyway?? No, I have never really understood the "Sam as a lard bucket" take in the films....

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

imin
Valinor

Mar 9 2013, 5:37pm

Post #19 of 24 (779 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't find any either [In reply to] Can't Post

but wanted to make sure i hadn't missed one, lol.

I would have thought out of any of them, he would be the least likely to be fat due to the physical job he does - stocky maybe but not fat. I never imagined him as fat as he is in the movie - especially when the other hobbits were not even overweight and were more lean but as you say the films lead can't be fat! Tongue

It would have been nice to see them get thinner but then they would have to take time out to film them after they lost weight, probably costing too much.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Mar 12 2013, 12:41pm

Post #20 of 24 (859 views)
Shortcut
She didn't have bad sight. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam was blinding her and he had a special elven sword that could only stab her if she put her own force agenst it.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 8 2013, 11:54pm

Post #21 of 24 (589 views)
Shortcut
If it's kept one on one, Shelob wins [In reply to] Can't Post

but if Aragog gets to call in family.... he's got this battle wrapped up.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 9 2013, 11:51am

Post #22 of 24 (636 views)
Shortcut
Shelob has her own family. [In reply to] Can't Post

She has all the spiders in Mirkwood as her children.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 11 2013, 2:46am

Post #23 of 24 (559 views)
Shortcut
Not a family gal. She's a kick them out and pretend they don't exist Mom.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 11 2013, 11:38am

Post #24 of 24 (624 views)
Shortcut
She whould probably [In reply to] Can't Post

breed with Aragog and then eat him and his family. She doesn't need her family.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.