GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 3:07am

Post #3 of 23 (1996 views)
Shortcut
Just Peter Pan and some generic-type store brand. / [In reply to] Can't Post

No text!

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then I had liposuction.

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 3:20am

Post #4 of 23 (2028 views)
Shortcut
I don't eat peanut butter. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess I'm ok.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards:
Top 5 Browsers/OSs:

1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 3:23am

Post #5 of 23 (2010 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a Skippy fan. Sly

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 3:28am

Post #6 of 23 (2021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FingonOfPittsburgh] Don't eat the peanut butter! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this topic should be moved to the Salmonella forum.

TP.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 4:55am

Post #7 of 23 (1985 views)
Shortcut
I haven't heard [In reply to] Can't Post

which store's brand it is - but it seems like what they always say is true at least in this case: some generics are just brand names with store labels.

What next? Bottled water? Wait, I think we have had that one...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, clearly "[ ]" doesn't work.

TORn – where everybody knows your name!
And J.R.R. Tolkien’s middle names… and the name of his publisher’s son … and the name of Aragorn’s great-great-great- grandfather on his mother’s side… and what Frodo’s name almost was…

Elf Princess of Lorien
Bree

Feb 18 2007, 5:03am

Post #8 of 23 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerlinn] I haven't heard [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Great Value — the Wal-Mart store brand.

'Mercy!' cried Gandalf.  'If the giving of information is to be the cure of you inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you.  What more do you want to know?'
'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas,' laughed Pippin.  'Of course!  What less?'"

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 1:39pm

Post #9 of 23 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Patty] Isn't it just Peter Pan, FoP? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep - just Peter Pan and their generic brand. We are a Jif household over here too, luckily. Cool

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

(This post was edited by FingonOfPittsburgh on Feb 18 2007, 1:39pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 2:19pm

Post #10 of 23 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FingonOfPittsburgh] Isn't it just Peter Pan, FoP? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say we had a jar of Peter Pan from the contaminated batch. I eat a brand here called, "Real" peanut butter which is the runny, separates in time, all natural stuff. My kids want Skippy or PP and so there it was: a jar of PP with the numbers 2111... And it had been eaten. Thankfully, no one was ill (I've had food poisoning... it is nasty!). I heard reports that one gentleman kept getting sick because they couldn't figure out what was causing it and he was continuing to eat the PB. That's hard.

I have to say that, although I'm not sure it cost much, I was a little chagrined to find there were no directions for a refund. Following links I ended up at the ConAgra site (headquartered here in the Twin Cities, I believe). If one wants a refund one must mail in the lid. By time I get a package for the lid, and pay the postage to mail the clunky thing, I wouldn't get a refund that would pay for my time. It seems like one should have been able to just sign up for a refund (probably in the form of a coupon). Maybe some would lie, but so many people would never ask I can't believe it would damage them much and they'd gain some consumer good will.

DJ Mix for Inaugural Celebration at:
http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/music.htm

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 2:46pm

Post #11 of 23 (1979 views)
Shortcut
ConAgra's in Omaha [In reply to] Can't Post

at least, corporate headquarters are there. However, ConAgra grew through acquisition, so it's possible the old parent of Peter Pan was in Minneapolis.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 7:13pm

Post #12 of 23 (1969 views)
Shortcut
mmmm peanut butter! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my bad -we don't get that brand there * waves freshly peanut buttered hot toast*

Elf Princess of Lorien
Bree

Feb 18 2007, 8:45pm

Post #13 of 23 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [entmaiden] ConAgra's in Omaha [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know where it's headquartered, etc., but I know that I've been reading that the factory where the bad peanut butter was produced at was in Georgia.

'Mercy!' cried Gandalf.  'If the giving of information is to be the cure of you inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you.  What more do you want to know?'
'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas,' laughed Pippin.  'Of course!  What less?'"

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 11:04pm

Post #14 of 23 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Elf Princess of Lorien] ConAgra's in Omaha [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know where it's headquartered, etc., but I know that I've been reading that the factory where the bad peanut butter was produced at was in Georgia.

Well, it makes way more sense that peanuts would be in Georgia! (remember the peanut president....)

Apparently the ConAgra here in Minnesota is responsible for dried & dehydrated fruit products; granola bars & clusters; commercial bakery; food preparations; cereals.

I just remember seeing their grain elevators, although googling tells me they may have sold those now. But I think I was also confusing them with Cargill, which is headquartered in Minnesota and also has grain elevators.

Morwen
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 1:38am

Post #15 of 23 (1948 views)
Shortcut
I went home and checked my jar after reading the news [In reply to] Can't Post

It was indeed Peter Pan, with the 2111 code, so just to be safe I tossed it, although I'd already eaten a sandwich or two made from that jar without getting sick, so mine was probably fine.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 1:45am

Post #16 of 23 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Morwen] I went home and checked my jar after reading the news [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was indeed Peter Pan, with the 2111 code, so just to be safe I tossed it, although I'd already eaten a sandwich or two made from that jar without getting sick, so mine was probably fine.

Better safe than sorry! Laugh

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 5:16am

Post #17 of 23 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FingonOfPittsburgh] I went home and checked my jar after reading the news [In reply to] Can't Post

"Better safe than sorry!"

Yep.
Did anybody hear how this happened? I never did hear the end of the spinach problem.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 3:17pm

Post #18 of 23 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Too late. Wifey's been sick since Tuesday and she had only a little. Her mother's immune depressed so she's in the hospital. On the other hand by the time we heard I'd eaten most the jar but just have a little little gas so far. (Yeah, what else is new...) It's shaping up for a great year. First I get blowed up at work for New Year's (You will believe a 53 year old man can fly!), my cardiologist is playing musical prescriptions ("Sure it feels like you're having a massive heart attack. That's a common side effect of the medicine.") and now my favorite comfort food has been corrupted!! And I have a house full of inlaws that got burned out of their home. Thank goodness this is the non-idiot brother-in-law. Still, never saw anyone ever do so much daily laundry as my sister-in-law. And... er, wait, we were talking about peanut butter, right? You know the city I live in has a street called PB Lane?

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
(*burp*)

- The Ale Less Filling by Robert Frostymug

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 19 2007, 3:19pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 4:00pm

Post #19 of 23 (1913 views)
Shortcut
Oh My Goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

oi... this will be a winter to remember, won't it? My heart goes out to you and your family.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 4:03pm

Post #20 of 23 (1932 views)
Shortcut
Aw, Darkstone... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry about those past seven weeks, what a nightmare. A speedy recovery and rehousing for your family and inlaws, respectively, and good wishes for the rest of the year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

Morwen
Rohan

Feb 19 2007, 5:41pm

Post #21 of 23 (1926 views)
Shortcut
Good Grief! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunate events do seem to come in waves. I hope you've gotten all your bad luck for the year out of the way, so that you have an incredibly wonderful spring, summer, and fall.

And, now, I'm definitely glad I threw out my peanut butter.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 6:34pm

Post #22 of 23 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Sheesh [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just bad luck all around >_> The best of luck to you, and I hope your wife gets better soon!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

hXqiU3nDf
The Shire

Feb 21 2007, 1:21am

Post #23 of 23 (2133 views)
Shortcut
Oh, B. cereus! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Just what do you think you're doing Dave?"
"You can't come in. Our tiger has got flu"
"He has fallen in the water!"
"Ying Tong Iddle I Po"
"Have a gorilla..."
"I've seen penguins that can type better than that."
"You do that again and see what happens..."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.