Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #7
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2013, 8:21pm

Post #1 of 39 (513 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #7 Can't Post

*Ro enters with A Field Guide to the Birds of Middle-earth open to the page entitled "How to Tell the Difference between Thrushes and Ravens 101"*

Hail and well met, one and all, for this week’s edition of the Short Attention Span Theatre! Put on your thinking caps and join Bilbo in a bit of contemplation: this week’s chapter is On the Doorstep. Each question is worth one point, quiz will close in three days, and as with all SAST quizzes, this is indubitably, utterly and absofrickinlutely CLOSED BOOK. Suspected cheaters or peekers will be strung up by their toenails and left dangling for Smaug-bait *glares fiercely over quizmistress glasses*. Fair enough? Off you go!

*Ro settles down to admire the sunset and the glow of the golden light on Thorin’s hair*

1. Bilbo, Balin, Fili, and Kili get sent on a scouting expedition in which they follow the Running River around the southern spur of the mountain until they can see the front gate. What do they see emerging from the front gate that suggests that Smaug is home?

2. Bilbo, Fili, and Kili are scouting together one day in the valley on the western side of the mountain. What does Bilbo find that leads them to the little steep-walled bay high up on the mountain-side?

3. Which dwarf refuses to come up to the camp in the steep-walled bay?

4. What animal is found in abundance in the bay?

5. What does Thorin have which allows them to open the hidden door?

Answers & Results for Quiz 6 will be posted here shortly. Got a little behind this weekend!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 11 2013, 8:31pm

Post #2 of 39 (302 views)
Shortcut
Cool! I'm on time this week [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing how things look so much better the other side of a busy couple of months. I'm actually right on time for this week's quiz.

Thanks Ro!

Here I go.

1. Bilbo, Balin, Fili, and Kili get sent on a scouting expedition in which they follow the Running River around the southern spur of the mountain until they can see the front gate. What do they see emerging from the front gate that suggests that Smaug is home?

Steam or smoke

2. Bilbo, Fili, and Kili are scouting together one day in the valley on the western side of the mountain. What does Bilbo find that leads them to the little steep-walled bay high up on the mountain-side?

He finds a teeny, tiny path.

Bombur, then he has to be hauled up in a huge hurry.

Snails or slugs. Ick.

A hair pin? No? A key.Cool

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 11 2013, 9:06pm

Post #3 of 39 (299 views)
Shortcut
Back again [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Dark Smoke belowing from the gate

2. Some old worn steps

3. Bombur

4. He found pigs of course. The Bay of Pigs Tongue

5. The Key to Erebor

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 11 2013, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 39 (294 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #7 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Smaug himself
2. A side-path (a sign that says, "Come for a great camp at The Steep-Walled Bay Resort. Turn right at exit 4A and continue until you see it.
3. Bombur
4. Sheep
5. The key (gorgeous hair which allows him in)

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 11 2013, 9:39pm

Post #5 of 39 (299 views)
Shortcut
Answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

This one is tough, I haven't read this chapter in a while! I think I'll leave out Thorin's hair this time (Mr. the Green and I are still arguing on which of us like Thorin's hair best...silly man :)

Smoke

A path

Bombur, because he has crammed himself with cram.

Snails

The key that Gandalf gave him, which came from Thrain.

Enough thinking for Monday! As always, thank you Roheryn!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 9:47pm

Post #6 of 39 (284 views)
Shortcut
My Answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I think there must be smoke coming out. Dragons produce smoke, right? Or is it steam? Which might be bad for Thorin's hair (turning it frizzy), so he had better not go there if it's steam. Or perhaps he could borrow Bofur's hat in that case?

2. My guess would be a path, or since it's going up, rather some sort of staircase.

3. Bombur. I'm pretty sure about that. If its not Bombur, my answer would have to be Thorin!, which makes no sense whatsoever in this case, does it?

4. Ughh, that would be snails. Lots and lots of snails. *shudder* Now, if the Dwarves were French, a little garlic and butter would have come in handy, if you know what I mean. I wonder if they brought any.

5. Where there's a door, there must be a key... Or something like that. Or the door might just open when Thorin flicks his hair in that majestic manner of his, because Dwarf doors are magical, and they would acknowledge the magnificence that is the Thorin-hair-toss.

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 11 2013, 10:36pm

Post #7 of 39 (281 views)
Shortcut
Thrush begins with T, Raven with R..... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Thorin running out with his hair on fire?? No, it's steam or smoke- anyway, some sort of vapour around the entrance
2) An ancient staircase
3) Bombur, because the path was too narrow for his girth- more likely so he could nick the food as he stayed behind!
4) Snails- rather large ones
5) "This is the Door of Erebor. Toss hair and enter" The key to the door of course "If there's a key, there must be a door" or vice versa

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 11 2013, 11:04pm

Post #8 of 39 (276 views)
Shortcut
Let's see if I can get out of my 'three points per quiz' rut [In reply to] Can't Post

1. A sign saying, 'Absolutely no peddlers, charity collectors, door-to-door salesmen or dwarves unless they are plump and good for roasting.'
That, or smoke coming out of the doors.

2. A sign that says, 'Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.'
(A path.)

3. Bombur. He'd had enough of heights with that eagle escapade.

4. Snails.

5. Remember the scene in TTT when Aragorn arrives at Helm's Deep, and he opens the doors and staggers in all rough and manly, and many a woman thought, 'Phwoar! Lookit him!'. Same with Thorin - or 'Phwoarin' - but with added 'phwoariness' - enough that the hidden door would just open when Thorin glanced at it. No shoving required, like with puny human kings in waiting.
(A key.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2013, 11:40pm

Post #9 of 39 (294 views)
Shortcut
ANSWERS & RESULTS for Quiz #6 [In reply to] Can't Post

A quizmistress is never late, she’s just…temporally-challenged. Story of my life!

Thanks to everyone who participated last week in SAST Quiz #6! That one was a bit harder than usual; average score was about a 2.5, so there should be plenty of company on the Mediocrity Bench! I made the quiz this week a little easier (or at least so I think) just to make up for it. As usual, do let me know if you have any queries or comments!

Answers

1. What is Bilbo keeping wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow?

“…now Thorin spoke of the Arkenstone of Thrain. … Bilbo heard these words and he grew afraid, wondering what would happen, if the stone was found – wrapped in an old bundle of tattered oddments that he used as a pillow.”

2. When he makes his escape, how does Bilbo get down from (and later, when he returns, back up and over) the top of the wall at the Gate?

“As soon as Bombur had gone, Bilbo put on his ring, fastened his rope, slipped down over the wall, and was gone.” “Great weariness began to come over him; but it was well before midnight when he clambered up the rope again – it was still where he had left it.”

[Credit for indicating rope without suggesting what it was made from.]

3. Some two hours after he escapes the Gate, Bilbo is sitting beside a warm fire in front of a large tent. With whom is he sitting?

“That is how it came about that some two hours after his escape from the Gate, Bilbo was sitting beside a warm fire in front of a large tent, and there sat too, gazing curiously at him, both the Elvenking and Bard.”

[Credit if you indicated both the Elvenking and Bard, even if you also mentioned Gandalf.]

4. When he’s sitting beside the fire discussing the situation with the person(s) identified in #3 above, what is the first thing that Bilbo pulls out of the pocket of his old jacket?

“He drew from a pocket in his old jacket (which he still wore over his mail), crumpled and much folded, Thorin’s letter that had been put under the clock on the mantelpiece in May!”

[Tricksy question: most of you thought it was the Arkenstone!]

5. The chapter closes with Bilbo asleep and dreaming. Of what does he dream?

“As a matter of fact he was dreaming of eggs and bacon.”

[Credit only if you specifically mentioned eggs and bacon.]

Results

5 Points

No one! This was a tough quiz. (Although each question was answered correctly by at least one person.)

4 Points

Aragalen the Green
Bellerock
elaen32
Elessar
sador
The Prancing Pony

3 Points

Ataahua
BoromirOfWinterfell
CuriousG
Elberbeth
elevorn
grammaboodawg
Nira
Rosie-with-the-ribbons

2 Points

dernwyn
entmaiden
Eowyn3
GwaihirWindLord
Ruxendil Thoorg
Silverlode

1 Point

Arandiel
Eledhwen
SirDennisC
Ziggy Stardust

0 Points (but as is usual with the 0-point group, plenty of IEC!)

Eruwestial37
Lissuin
ryouko

Invisible Extra Credit (thanks for the smiles, giggles, and guffaws!) to: Angharad73; Aragalen the Green; Arandiel; Ataahua; Bellerock; BoromirOfWinterfell; CuriousG; dernwyn; elaen32; Elessar; entmaiden; Eruwestial37; grammaboodawg; GwaihirWindLord; Nira; Rosie-with-the-ribbons; Ruxendil Thoorg; ryouko; SirDennisC; The Prancing Pony; Ziggy Stardust. Give yourself an extra pat on the back if you worked at least one reference in to Thorin’s hair.

Double IEC to Lissuin for the hilarious picture answers here and here , to sador for the very clever Pink Floyd theme , and to Silverlode, for not just the hilarious answers but also the wonderful lament for Thorin . Well done you three!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2013, 11:56pm

Post #10 of 39 (273 views)
Shortcut
Answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Answers & Results for Quiz 6 will be posted here shortly. Got a little behind this weekend!

No complaints here. I got behind too and missed Quiz 6!Unsure

1. Steam.
2. Rough stairs.
3. Bombur.
4. Snails.
5. The key Gandalf gave him, that he got from Thrain.

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 12 2013, 12:17am

Post #11 of 39 (274 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Pizza delivery person, still alive and devoid of many pizzas.

2. A sign stating "this way to a little steep-walled bay high up on the mountain side".

3. Bombur, because he wanted to go back to town for more of that good food.

4. tourists! Ugh! Must be Spring Break!

5. The code to the security lock, with is 1-2-3-4-5. Wow! That's exactly what I have on my luggage!

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 12:43am

Post #12 of 39 (265 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) A bunch of lady dragons, all atwitter about the eggs they'll be laying soon.

2) He finds a huge, red arrow flashing and pointing towards the bay. LED's aren't that new, you know!

3) The one with Vertigo. Hitchcock!

4) Bloodhounds. That's where they learned to bay!

5) The magic word. Rumplestiltskin

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 12 2013, 1:00am

Post #13 of 39 (263 views)
Shortcut
Failing fail [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to get 0 (apart from IEC) and ended up with 1... Crazy

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2013, 1:21am

Post #14 of 39 (255 views)
Shortcut
That'll teach you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in high school, we had a physics teacher who had a standing offer to his students: if you could get a perfect 0 on the final exam, you'd get an A+ in the course. But if you got so much as 1 point on the final, then your grade for the course would be calculated accordingly. I never knew anyone brave enough to try for the perfect fail, but I always wondered if someone did try!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 12 2013, 1:22am

Post #15 of 39 (253 views)
Shortcut
I'm feeling punchy so here goes... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Smoke, steams, and a slightly crooked sign saying "The Wyrm is IN."

2. Worn steps leading up, painted with glow-in-the-dark Dwarf feet

3. Bombur. Having mistaked aforementioned steams for a Easterling BBQ joint, he wants to privately investigate further.

4. Snails. Wearing, of all things, tiny pants. It must mean something.

5. As the last light of the fading sun lights upon the door, letters appear in red fire before Thorin : SMOLDER, Friend, and Enter. Thus did the door completely and without inhibition give way before him. Thorin has, it appears, All The Right Stuff.

Thanks Ro!Wink

To err is human, to Hoom is Entish.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2013, 1:36am

Post #16 of 39 (259 views)
Shortcut
Here goes - er, not "nothing", I hope! [In reply to] Can't Post

His housekeeper with a load of laundered items to hang out in the breeze. Not that Smaug wears any clothes, but it takes a lot of cloths to keep his gem-waistcoat polished.
(Steam.)

An ancient hillside chair-life, running up a rusted cog railway. They were able to climb the trestles to the bay.
(A stone stairway hidden behind a stele.)

Thorin. There's not enough water up there for his daily double-shampoo-with-conditioner hair maintenance routine. He's been most particular about that ever since the incident with the barrels.
(Bombur.)

Gerbils. The dwarves were able to devise enough running-wheels for the little critters to generate the power to get the hillside chair lift running again, thus allowing Thorin a regal ride to the bay.
(Snails.)

The magic word? The magic touch? A crowbar!
(The key.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 12 2013, 1:40am

Post #17 of 39 (271 views)
Shortcut
Let's Rock [In reply to] Can't Post

This one is all about deductive reasoning (I've given up on my memory being any help at all).

1. Okay so we're talking a kingdom in a cavern, which was cool and damp, with a hot body inside -- talking Smaug here, but in the days of Thorin it was pretty much the same -- so imma go with a steam-like vapour.

2. Hmmm chances are if they found a bay it was below them, even if it was somewhat up the mountain side... imma say Bilbo discovered gravity.

3. Lessee... water plays quite a bit in the dwarves' adventures... Ooo this is tough: some ponies got washed away by the rain swollen river which was a bummer for all (assuming they were all equally hungry); nude bathing after the Carrock was generally positive for all (except for Grumpy who feared women's wiles); crossing the stream in Mirkwood was neutral save for Bombur who fell in and almost drowned; and the barrel escape, though unpleasant for all was, on balance, positive since it helped them, well, escape and avoid a buttload of walking. Therefore I have to say Grumpy or Bombur, based on past experience.

4. In the bay? Well it would have to be marine life though I have no memory of fishes in this tale? Just a straight guess: eels or ducks (that can't be right... do thrushes float on water?)

5. A five parter eh? Tricksy. If his charisma, rugged good looks, great hair and being on everyone's guest list weren't enough, he also had Thrain's Key, Tongue

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 12 2013, 1:48am)

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 8:11am

Post #18 of 39 (242 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the IEC point! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always glad when I can make someone smile Smile

But did I not get any normal points? I can't see my name on the list... Unsure

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2013, 9:38am

Post #19 of 39 (244 views)
Shortcut
Oops -- correction!!! We did have a perfect score! [In reply to] Can't Post

We did have a perfect score of 5 points, and it was you! Apologies! Your score is right there in the spreadsheet but somehow when I did the sorting, copying, and pasting into the Answers/Results post, you got lost in the mix. Blush

I could say "I meant to do that -- just seeing if you were paying attention", but I might be fibbing. Wink

Thanks for pointing out the mistake, and you're welcome for the IEC though it should be me thanking you for the laughs. Actually, *double-checks spreadsheet* you should have had double-IEC too, for managing to work Thorin's hair into every answer. Well done! Spreadsheet now updated accordingly. Smile

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 9:57am

Post #20 of 39 (240 views)
Shortcut
Oh, wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't expect to have them all right, actually (I confess, I was too lazy to compare the answers myself...). So all that reading and re-reading does pay off... And, well, it's one of my favourite chapters.

No worries about leaving me off the list. As Balin would say, apology accepted. Wink

And a big thank you to you, Ro, for doing these quizzes in the first place! Something I look forward to every week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 12:59pm

Post #21 of 39 (242 views)
Shortcut
A little birdie told me there was a game! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you BIG TIME for bringing these back. WOW... 7 already!
Here goes...

1. Bilbo, Fili, and Kili get sent on a scouting expedition in which they follow the Running River around the southern spur of the mountain until they can see the front gate. What do they see emerging from the front gate that suggests that Smaug is home?
They see some smoking spewing out the front door... which happens every time I cook dinner!

He find some old, gnarly steps that I can imagine a couple of singed dwarves running down to avoid being bar-b-qued long ago.

Bombur really doesn't want to become a teabag.

Snails, escargot frolicking everywhere you look!

A key! He's the keymaster!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 12 2013, 1:00pm)

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Mar 12 2013, 2:27pm

Post #22 of 39 (239 views)
Shortcut
Answers to Quiz #7 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Smaug sends smoke signals. Or rather they can see steam rising in the distance.

2. A secret path

3. Bombur

4. Snails

5. Majesty! Well, though that may open some doors, I doubt very much it can move a solid stone wall. So I go with the key of Thror.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 3:33pm

Post #23 of 39 (237 views)
Shortcut
I do like these quizzes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Steam and smoke. Since the smoke alarm wasn't shrilling, the batteries must be dead.

A narrow track with stairs, well hidden.

That would be Bombur, who didn't trust the ropes to hold him. Also, he still just wanted to nap.

Giant snails. Ewww.

Sheer presence. And Thrain's key.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 12 2013, 5:03pm

Post #24 of 39 (229 views)
Shortcut
Answers #7 [In reply to] Can't Post

They see smoke in the shape of Jolly Rogers.

A stairway.

Bombur.

A thrush.

The Key.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2013, 8:25pm

Post #25 of 39 (208 views)
Shortcut
Ravens are black! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Smoke.
2) A path?
3) Bombur, because he's too fat.
4) There were animals up there? I cannot remember!
5) The key which Gandalf gave him.

Storm clouds

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.