Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DOS Title

DolGuldur

Mar 10 2013, 9:59pm

Post #1 of 13 (883 views)
Shortcut
DOS Title Can't Post

I'm sure the merits of the title for the second Hobbit film have been discussed elsewhere. However, when the trilogy was announced, the second film was, I believe, referred to as The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. However, on the 'Peter Jackson Live Event' section of the official website, it is now seemingly titled 'The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug'. I personally feel that dropping the 'The' makes the title seem even more awkward. Perhaps it'll just take some getting used to...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 10:04pm

Post #2 of 13 (454 views)
Shortcut
Ewww [In reply to] Can't Post

Ewww. Awkward.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 10:08pm

Post #3 of 13 (443 views)
Shortcut
It's a typo. [In reply to] Can't Post

The sticker on the AUJ Blu-ray says "The Desolation of Smaug".

http://forum.blu-ray.com/...&postcount=36368

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 10 2013, 10:09pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 10:11pm

Post #4 of 13 (398 views)
Shortcut
Typo [In reply to] Can't Post

Seemingly not.

Mistakes can happen, but generally not at the graphical level like this where art goes through an approval process. See the logo. http://www.thehobbit.com/sneak/

DolGuldur

Mar 10 2013, 10:13pm

Post #5 of 13 (389 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I should have said... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was referring to the logo.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2013, 10:18pm

Post #6 of 13 (375 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I've seen that logo. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been up since the Blu-ray was announced weeks ago. Yet - as I said - the sticker on the Blu-ray refers to the film as "The Desolation of Smaug".

...as does the press release that came out only days ago, announcing the new release date of the third film.

Graphic design mistakes do happen. Quite often.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

DolGuldur

Mar 10 2013, 10:31pm

Post #7 of 13 (347 views)
Shortcut
Then, hopefully, this is one of those mistakes! [In reply to] Can't Post

totoro
Lorien

Mar 10 2013, 10:41pm

Post #8 of 13 (340 views)
Shortcut
Not sure why it matters [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm sure the merits of the title for the second Hobbit film have been discussed elsewhere. However, when the trilogy was announced, the second film was, I believe, referred to as The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. However, on the 'Peter Jackson Live Event' section of the official website, it is now seemingly titled 'The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug'. I personally feel that dropping the 'The' makes the title seem even more awkward. Perhaps it'll just take some getting used to...

Dropping "The" is fine, even if the title is still The Desolation of Smaug. It's clear in context.

DolGuldur

Mar 10 2013, 11:07pm

Post #9 of 13 (311 views)
Shortcut
In the grand scheme of things it does't matter at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

My opinion was simply that the title sounded more 'abrupt' without the 'the'. A small matter.

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 11 2013, 1:03am

Post #10 of 13 (252 views)
Shortcut
I like it better with "The" also [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, the flow of the syllables in "The Desolation of Smaug" sound better than "Desolation of Smaug".

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2013, 1:17am

Post #11 of 13 (280 views)
Shortcut
Gorka Morka! [In reply to] Can't Post

Drink their bloood!

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 11 2013, 9:20am

Post #12 of 13 (199 views)
Shortcut
Just a mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

The title doesn't make much sense without the "The". It's like calling the first film: The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey.

sam90
Lorien

Mar 11 2013, 11:58pm

Post #13 of 13 (127 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't really think of anything else but a mistake that was made. It seems clear that the title will remain The Desolation Of Smaug. But perhaps the ''the'' was left out on purpose like we often do with Lord Of The Rings which is officially ''The Lord Of The Rings''

(This post was edited by sam90 on Mar 12 2013, 12:00am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.