Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
DoS preview code from Amazon.com (US) ?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tripecac
Rivendell

Mar 11 2013, 11:37pm

Post #1 of 32 (706 views)
Shortcut
DoS preview code from Amazon.com (US) ? Can't Post

I ordered the 3D Blu-ray multi-pack from Amazon US:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hobbit-Unexpected-Journey-UltraViolet/dp/B00BEZTMWW

There is no mention on that store page about the Desolation of Smaug preview.

Does this mean that those of us who order from Amazon US won't get the code?

(I'm in NZ so won't be able to check inside the box until long after the sneak peek date has come and gone).

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 12:27am

Post #2 of 32 (378 views)
Shortcut
I know that in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon send you the code by email. I ordered the Steelbook and the code was sent to me straightaway. Perhaps there is a similar system in the US?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 1:33am

Post #3 of 32 (339 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't get a code from Amazon U.S. when I ordered. I think it comes on the disc and you get it when you put the disc in to register it.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

tripecac
Rivendell

Mar 12 2013, 2:30am

Post #4 of 32 (322 views)
Shortcut
So this means [In reply to] Can't Post

People outside the US have no chance of getting the code in time for the sneak peak if they ordered from Amazon.com (US)?

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 2:44am

Post #5 of 32 (308 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure entirely [In reply to] Can't Post

I think possibly not. I know usually it's on the disc itself. Now it could be that somehow on release date (shipping date) they send an email with the code but that would be new if they did so.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2013, 3:26am

Post #6 of 32 (295 views)
Shortcut
This may well be. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Amazon UK (and possibly other international Amazon sites) are sending out the code via the internet, but I've not heard that Amazon US was doing that. They probably assume that people from the U.S. will order from the US store, and people from other countries will order from their respective online stores. When it comes to things like this, I don't think they take importers into account.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

tripecac
Rivendell

Mar 12 2013, 6:12am

Post #7 of 32 (312 views)
Shortcut
Well, there's always YouTube [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully someone will make a good recording of the sneak peak and upload it to YouTube.

Non-US/UK purchasers will get what was promised, and it's not like any sales will be lost for those people who didn't buy the Blu-rays before the sneak-peak, since there is no incentive to buy the Blu-rays *after* the sneak peak.

I can't see anyone having an ethical or legal objection to the leaking of the sneak peak once it happens...

Unless, of course, they plan to include the sneak peak on the extended DVDs/Blu-rays!

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 10:12am

Post #8 of 32 (263 views)
Shortcut
I'd be surprised if it ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't end up being uploaded by Peter Jackson (on facebook himself). The only reason to do this is to get more people to pre-order the DVD. But it's incredibly unfair for a large number of people.

cats16
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 5:25pm

Post #9 of 32 (224 views)
Shortcut
Just caught a link on Twitter... [In reply to] Can't Post

and now they're giving a little more insight into what the "sneak peek" will entail.

"Director Peter Jackson will present film footage, glimpses of the set and answer questions from fans!"

Any fan can submit a video (from Youtube) and ask PJ a question. It could be answered by him on the live event.

Here's the link to the info. I just quoted. You don't need a Facebook to open the link:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobbitMovie?sk=app_403834839671843&app_data=dlt-1

If the link doesn't work (due to my inability to link properly...Wink), search "The Hobbit Facebook" and it will be the newest post on its page.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Mar 12 2013, 5:28pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 32 (189 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like it will be like a vlog, but live! Maybe we'll get those 20 questions finally answered. [;)

This link should work.

Thanks for letting us know cats16. Smile

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 32 (194 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

the Comic-Con panel. Some footage of the movie, showing stuff of the sets, and ending with some questions. Should be a pretty fun event.

I may even end up with some extra codes. I have my digibook coming from Wal-Mart, Regular Blu from Amazon, and a 3D set from Amazon.

cats16
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 5:35pm

Post #12 of 32 (181 views)
Shortcut
Sure thing! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 6:41pm

Post #13 of 32 (175 views)
Shortcut
Extra codes!? [In reply to] Can't Post

Le gasp! Shocked

I agree - it sounds like a comic-con panel type of deal. Now I have a feeling that the official online material released to everyone will be whatever actual film footage they show, we just won't get the panel. Or maybe it'll be the other way around.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 6:48pm

Post #14 of 32 (178 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I liked several of the covers so I decided to get them leading to extra codes.

Yeah, I'm sure at somepoint the footage will be online in some form. I'd love to record the panel so I could save it to my HD for my collection of different videos.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 7:01pm

Post #15 of 32 (160 views)
Shortcut
Online [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they've already said that an abbreviated version will be available online, right? Perhaps part of it will make it's way into the next vlog.

Can you record it on your computer? I'm not tech-savvy like that. I don't even understand how people get screen-caps of their dvds. My computer won't even let me do that. I'm hopeless, lol.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 7:04pm

Post #16 of 32 (158 views)
Shortcut
I saw that [In reply to] Can't Post

So some of it will be online. I'm thinking kind of greedy like though and wanting the whole thing. lol I would suspect like with Comic-Con some of it will be in a future vlog.

I'm sure you can. I don't know how to do that myself since I'm sure I don't have the software. All you need is the right software to do that, get screen caps, etc. So you're not all that hopeless.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 7:17pm

Post #17 of 32 (152 views)
Shortcut
Looks like you'll be triply prepared! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah software. Well that makes sense then. I certainly don't have any extra stuff like that. I'll just stick to letting other get screen caps for me Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 7:30pm

Post #18 of 32 (149 views)
Shortcut
Re: screencaps. Which media player do you use? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 7:34pm

Post #19 of 32 (144 views)
Shortcut
DVD player [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a MacBook and that's what pops up immediately.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 7:38pm

Post #20 of 32 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I am but I'm also [In reply to] Can't Post

a bit broker than I would be dipping this many times on the first release. lol I hope they do just one look for the EE and if they do two a gift set for the EE like with The Lord of the Rings. I hear ya. Someone always does a better job with that then I think I could.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 7:41pm

Post #21 of 32 (141 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, I won't be able to help. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think you can take screencaps with DVD player. VLC is a great alternative (it's free!), and taking screencaps is easy.

Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 7:51pm

Post #22 of 32 (133 views)
Shortcut
Lol, I can imagine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Money is quite scarce in this economy, so I'm just holding off until the EE so I don't have to double dip at all. I hope for your sake that the EE only has one release cover! I just hope they announce a release date for the EE soon so I know how long I have to wait.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 7:52pm

Post #23 of 32 (139 views)
Shortcut
No, you can't take them [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tried before. It's ok, though. I don't normally feel the need to do so anyway. Most of the time I can just find what I'm looking for on google.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 8:05pm

Post #24 of 32 (133 views)
Shortcut
Money, Money, Money lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I want the TE so I was going to get one anyways but there are so many covers I find way too cool. Plus I can swing it so I figured why not. Thanks! If they do a gift set that will be the way I go for sure with the EE. I expect it to land in Oct/Nov.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 8:29pm

Post #25 of 32 (124 views)
Shortcut
Covers [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually don't think I've seen any covers that I liked well enough. I was hoping for one similar to the LOTR TE covers, but oh well. It doesn't really matter since I'm not getting it. I just hope the EE matches the others. I also expect it in November, but I'm hoping for an official announcement soon.

"Now this babe was of greatest beauty; his skin of a shining white and his eyes of a blue surpassing that of the sky in southern lands - bluer than the sapphires of the raiment of Manwë; and the envy of Meglin was deep at his birth, but the joy of Turgon and all the people very great indeed." -The Fall of Gondolin

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.