Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
boromirs death!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 10:35am

Post #1 of 13 (529 views)
Shortcut
boromirs death! Can't Post

ive just worked out what irked me about boromirs death after all these years! in the film its autumnal,. but it should be winter!!! i ve always had a bleack , leafless tree, muddy view of this scene! i dont know why i didnt connect that sooner!

on a wider note, movie version or book version? i prefer book as its just so matter of fact, and somehow more brutal, even though you dont even see the fight!

id also have liked the film to end with the 'breaking of the fellowship' all in a mess looking for frodo, with the cliff hanger of does frodo go on his own? does boromir die? does merry and pippin get caught! surely thats a better ending?

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 1:36pm

Post #2 of 13 (333 views)
Shortcut
The season [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's winter, but it was in a warmer, southern climate, so I'm not sure it would have seemed wintery. But good point about the trees being leafless; they should have been.

I'm a book-firster, but both book and movie death scenes worked for me. Boromir's death defending the hobbits was supposed to be redemptive after his treachery to Frodo, and the film version seemed to get that idea right.

But I agree about the breaking of the fellowship--should have been much messier and clad in doubt. Book Aragorn was in deep doubt about which pair of hobbits to pursue, and that gave another side to his normally bold, decisive character. The movie was too tidy to me and lacked the dilemma he agonized over (as he should have; it was a tough call). Adding to the doubt was that Araogrn et al didn't know exactly what happened to Frodo & Sam and had to piece it together. Having Legolas point to them across the water robbed the scene of "what's going on? what do we do? where did they go?"

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 2:19pm

Post #3 of 13 (324 views)
Shortcut
I think this goes back to the difference between movie-Aragorn & book-Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Book Aragorn starts out already being self-confident in his decisions and his fate. So his moment of doubt at Amon Hen is in contrast to that. However, movie Aragorn starts out as doubtful and unsure, so instead his moment at Amon Hen with Frodo when he 'refuses' the Ring ("I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor.") - is in contrast to that. And it sets up the the difference between him and Boromir and their meaningful exchange a few minutes later.

And I agree, I still find Boromir's death scene to be so moving, even after all the times I've watched it.

CuriousG
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 4:47pm

Post #4 of 13 (314 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd forgotten how movie Aragorn starts out unsure of himself, so even though the movie reverses the order from the book and makes it doubt to confidence, it succeeds in doing the same thing, i.e., giving him more character development, which is always a good thing.

Character development was lacking in the Balrog. Did he have an unhappy childhood? Did he like being on fire all the time? Was he just awkwardly trying to make friends with Gandalf on the bridge and escape from Moria? I guess we'll never know. :)

brucewayne
Bree

Mar 5 2013, 3:47am

Post #5 of 13 (275 views)
Shortcut
The ending [In reply to] Can't Post

The ending to Fellowship was a masterpiece. How dare you speak ill of it! In all seriousness, I wouldn't change a thing.

And I just have to brag- got the extended blu ray trilogy box set today!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 6:24am

Post #6 of 13 (252 views)
Shortcut
I see your point, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The ending of the film version of FOTR is truly one of my favorite scenes in the whole trilogy. But, yes, it seems like it should have been more obviously winter. Bare trees could have made the scene even more evocative.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 6:42am

Post #7 of 13 (260 views)
Shortcut
Good description [In reply to] Can't Post

And though I prefer the books to the films overall, I prefer film Aragorn and this ending to the ones in the book. I prefer a hero who admits his flaws and isn't always sure of himself up front, but who comes through when it counts to someone who seems very self-assured initially but doubts himself and becomes wishy-washy when things get dicey. It was confusing enough as to why Aragorn would have even considered letting Frodo go alone from reading the book where Aragorn's thought process was more apparent, it would have been even more so in the film, and, IMO, would have made Aragorn seem like a fair weather friend.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

andwise
Rivendell

Mar 6 2013, 2:06pm

Post #8 of 13 (217 views)
Shortcut
good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't actually realised that.I think that bare trees,a light frost etc may very well have added even more weight to what is already a superb scene.we can't change it now though but it would have been great.its one of my favourite scenes in the whole trilogy and never fails to make me well up.I think I prefer the movie version(traitor!)simply because we get to SEE what happens.the book is obviously great and untouchable to a certain extent but I just love the way it is done.music,photography and Sean beans immense performance.one thing I particularly love is in the EE,pippin mirrors a couple of boromirs moves as they attack the orcs.it is truly fantastic and Sean should have had an Oscar just for those few minutes Smile as for the ending it may well have worked as you said with more of a cliffhanger but possibly that's if it had been a t.v series (a la game of thrones).I think with a whole year between movies they felt they had to tie it up a bit neater.good shout though.

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 9 2013, 2:00pm

Post #9 of 13 (210 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

*is picturing the balrog before his big scene, saying to PJ, "What's my motivation here?"*

Sly

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2013, 9:59pm

Post #10 of 13 (164 views)
Shortcut
The ending of Fellowship is perfect. [In reply to] Can't Post

The death of Borimir, the taking of taking of Merry and Pippin (and their valiant resistance), Aragorn v. Lurtz, Frodo's lakeside decision (with Howard Shore's insanely beautiful music), Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli setting out after Merry and Pippin (and Gimli's "YES!"), and Frodo and Sam venturing into Emyn Muil. The last 15 minutes of FotR are flawless.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 10:26pm

Post #11 of 13 (169 views)
Shortcut
its good but not as good as the book [In reply to] Can't Post

it is based on a book , you did know that right ? which is more perfect ;)

lets hunt some orc? not perfect
silly camp lurtz? not perfect

seriously though, i think in the book its more interesting as there is lots more confusion, everyones in more of a mess, and like all good deaths (boromirs) less is more.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 12:06am

Post #12 of 13 (163 views)
Shortcut
Well, i am talking about the movie, [In reply to] Can't Post

and not the book. They are two quite different things, and i love them both, for many different reasons. And i'm not comparing the two, i'm just talking about the movie. Not everything in the movie is "perfect" of course, and there are quite a few things in all the movies that i roll my eyes at. But the end of Fellowship, and i mean pretty much all of it, i find incredibly exciting and moving, with some of the best acting, scoring and cinematography in any of the films.

Brennil Caladiel
The Shire

Mar 12 2013, 2:38pm

Post #13 of 13 (193 views)
Shortcut
just watched it last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched this scene last night (for the second time) and realized how perfect and beautiful it is. The way Boromir fought for Merry and Pippin (I had noticed he seemed quite fond of them earlier) and the way the little hobbits tried to defend Boromir, then the exchange between Boromir and Aragorn and the scene with Frodo and Sam in the boat. To me, these scenes encompass the themes of friendship and honor throughout the entire movie. Plus, the acting and music is superb! This scene and right after the Bridge of Khazad-Dum are my favorites; they make me teary-eyed every time.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.