Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
you put words in my mouth that are not mine

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2013, 11:47am

Views: 278
Shortcut
you put words in my mouth that are not mine [In reply to] Can't Post

respectfully, you assign emotions to me that i have not expressed.

i am not "anxious" to leave the possibility open.

i saw it as a legitimate question, based on what i knew of tolkein's writings.

additionally, in some places, it seems that christopher tolkien has minimized or expunged some female history and roles in middle earth (for whatever reason; at the moment, i'm thinking of his alterations around the character of nernandel, feanor's wife, which i just read about yesterday). there is ample room to wonder about so much, given the breadth of the writings, the revisions, and the posthumous editing.

and, to your other comment, re the fascination the blue wizards have for many, i do not think this is so surprising, given the key roles that saruman and gandalf played. there were five mentioned and we only got details on three. i think there's also similar, strong curiosity around other missing bits, like the northern kingdoms, who the nazgul were before they were consumed, etc. it's a rich world, that seems so real at times. people just wish to know more.

myself, i'm certainly curious about the missing bits. and it's not just about data. it would have been lovely if some of the histories had had the same sort of narrative style as the lord of the rings. we would have gotten to see more personalities, which is what is so wonderful about lotr. i love the silmarillion, but the style in which it was told distances. i would love to see/feel some of those stories up close, like with the fellowship and related crew.

Subject User Time
blue wizards -- female? Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 5 2013, 3:19am
    Not hardly, I should say squire Send a private message to squire Mar 5 2013, 4:43am
        but note the use of "Men" (vs. "men") Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 5 2013, 11:48am
            old men and sages Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Mar 5 2013, 1:15pm
            It's ultimately a personal decision squire Send a private message to squire Mar 6 2013, 7:01am
                More to the Imagination Finwe Send a private message to Finwe Mar 6 2013, 4:47pm
                    Imagination and centrality CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 6 2013, 5:59pm
                you put words in my mouth that are not mine Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Mar 11 2013, 11:47am
                    By omitting details of the other two wizards ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Mar 18 2013, 10:54am
    The word 'wizard' itself FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 6 2013, 12:55pm
    My vote is for... Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Mar 6 2013, 2:55pm
    quotes about old men etc. aside... dik-dik Send a private message to dik-dik Mar 6 2013, 10:30pm
        gender in names Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Mar 7 2013, 2:51pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.