Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
No 'Hobbit' 2-Disc standard DVD release in the UK ... ?

Arandir
Gondor

Mar 11 2013, 7:52am

Post #1 of 22 (795 views)
Shortcut
No 'Hobbit' 2-Disc standard DVD release in the UK ... ? Can't Post

I've only just recently realised that the standard DVD advetized on the Amazon UK website mentions only 1 disc within the package and there is no mention of the second disc with the special features. Frown (no sign of it either on play.com)

Could this be some sort of error (which I highly doubt), or simply that the UK version won't have a similar product to that of the standard 2-disc DVD edition of the US?

A pity really considering I was looking forward to put it alongside the three other 2-disc special editions of LoTR filmsUnsure

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Silmaril
Lorien

Mar 11 2013, 7:57am

Post #2 of 22 (448 views)
Shortcut
i think it's the same in germany... [In reply to] Can't Post

there are no extras announced for the DVD:
http://wwws.warnerbros.de/...s&section=sf-dvd

but for all BLU RAY editions:
http://wwws.warnerbros.de/...mp;section=sf-bluray
http://wwws.warnerbros.de/...;section=sf-bluray3d

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Mar 11 2013, 7:58am)

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 11 2013, 11:18am

Post #3 of 22 (424 views)
Shortcut
Nope, afraid not [In reply to] Can't Post

Only the single disc version is available throughout most of EuropeMad This has been discussed in a few threads over the past 2 weeks- sorry, I can't find the links just now. "TheHutt" did a very good post of what is available where- which is very helpful- probably on page 3 of the Hobbit forum now, if you want to see what is available where

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 11 2013, 11:32am

Post #4 of 22 (447 views)
Shortcut
I was absolutely furious about this [In reply to] Can't Post

…when I heard about it. I have now bought a Blu-ray player, however (which I said I would not do). They are not expensive, and so far from what I can see it is worth having one.

I do think, though, that all countries should have the same things on the DVDs, as was the case for LOTR. The UK and Germany have done incredibly well for the films when it comes to box-office figures (their take was nearly two-thirds that of the United States), and they should not be short-changed.

In Reply To
I've only just recently realised that the standard DVD advetized on the Amazon UK website mentions only 1 disc within the package and there is no mention of the second disc with the special features. Frown (no sign of it either on play.com)

Could this be some sort of error (which I highly doubt), or simply that the UK version won't have a similar product to that of the standard 2-disc DVD edition of the US?

A pity really considering I was looking forward to put it alongside the three other 2-disc special editions of LoTR filmsUnsure

Seaber
Rivendell

Mar 11 2013, 2:47pm

Post #5 of 22 (353 views)
Shortcut
This one? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=577421;#577421

amazon.co.uk lists the bonuses on the Blu-Ray

• "Video Blog #1: Start of Production"
• "Video Blog #2: Location Scouting"
• "Video Blog #3: Shooting Block One"
• "Video Blog #4: Filming in 3D"
• "Video Blog #5: Locations Part 1"
• "Video Blog #6: Locations Part 2"
• "Video Blog #7: Stone St. Studios Tour"
• "Video Blog #8: "Wrap of Principal Photography"
• "Video Blog #9: "Post-production Overview"
• "Video Blog #10: "Wellington World Premiere"
• Theatrical Trailers - Trailer 1
• Theatrical Trailers - Trailer 3 - Dwarves
• Theatrical Trailers - Trailer 3 - Letter Opener
• Theatrical Trailers - Trailer 3 - Bilbo Contract
• Theatrical Trailers - Trailer 3 - Gandalf Wagers
• Theatrical Trailers - Trailer 3 - Gollum Paths
• New Zealand: Home of Middle Earth

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 11 2013, 3:07pm

Post #6 of 22 (348 views)
Shortcut
The OP was talking about the standard UK DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

This has nothing on it but the film.

Seaber
Rivendell

Mar 11 2013, 6:18pm

Post #7 of 22 (304 views)
Shortcut
That was in reply to elaen32 [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

Mar 11 2013, 6:23pm

Post #8 of 22 (314 views)
Shortcut
Considering a blu-ray player too, [In reply to] Can't Post

however, I was hoping to buy the blu-ray extended versions eventually - whilst at the same time, complete my 2-disc collection of standard DVDs - both of the hobbit and the rings trilogies. Seems I'll have to settle with the 1-disc version then ... Crazy

Arandir
Gondor

Mar 11 2013, 6:23pm

Post #9 of 22 (318 views)
Shortcut
It is as I feared then ... thanks for the links // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 11 2013, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 22 (323 views)
Shortcut
Buy a Blu-ray player, like I did? [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a Sony one from Amazon. It's a neat and tidy little thing, and plugged straight into my television (also a Sony). I want to get the EE LOTR DVDs as well, but probably won't be buying many Blu-ray DVDs apart from that (and the remaining Hobbits).

In Reply To
however, I was hoping to buy the blu-ray extended versions eventually - whilst at the same time, complete my 2-disc collection of standard DVDs - both of the hobbit and the rings trilogies. Seems I'll have to settle with the 1-disc version then ... Crazy

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2013, 10:27pm

Post #11 of 22 (252 views)
Shortcut
Blu Ray for me also [In reply to] Can't Post

We didn't have a BR player so I picked one up off Amazon as well. It's very easy to use and I figure I want the Hobbit BR discs anyway so might as well splurge.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 11 2013, 10:44pm

Post #12 of 22 (255 views)
Shortcut
Only if you can afford it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not everyone has a lot of disposable income. I see no reason why they can't have the same features across all formats. They make things to complicated these days.

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 11 2013, 10:46pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 10:51pm

Post #13 of 22 (239 views)
Shortcut
I suspect it's a plot by the studios to drive everyone towards Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not joking about this. I think they want to move to one format, and DVDs will be treated like the stepchild to wean people off them.

In Reply To
Not everyone has a lot of disposable income. I see no reason why they can't have the same features across all formats. They make things to complicated these days.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 11 2013, 10:56pm

Post #14 of 22 (236 views)
Shortcut
Could be ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But who really cares about the special features (other than us)? If I enjoy a film (say Avatar), I'll buy the DVD, but 99% of the time won't watch anything other than the actual film. I've never watched any of the Avatar special features. I wouldn't be fussed whether it came with 2 discs or 10. And I suspect that's true for a lot of people.

It might be a ploy, but probably doesn't catch everyone. It only works for us Hobbit geeks. Wink

And it's a very dangerous ploy. I can't afford blu-ray prices. It doesn't encourage me to buy a blu-ray player ... if anythng ... it encourages me to download online!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 11 2013, 10:58pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 11 2013, 11:01pm

Post #15 of 22 (222 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I will only be buying the Blu-rays for the Hobbits, partly because I want the picture to be as perfect as possible, and partly because I'd like to see the extras. I'll also buy the LOTR EEs in that format.

I never watch the extras for any other films, so I'll just continue buying straight DVDs for those. They can still be played on the Blu-ray player, and their quality even improves slightly, I believe.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 11:31pm

Post #16 of 22 (219 views)
Shortcut
I work in a library, and we lend DVDs [In reply to] Can't Post

People get really excited when it happens to be a two-disc set, or something beyond just the movie. One guy was really peeved that the second (non movie) disc of something was missing; when my co-worker said at least he still got to see the movie, his response was he could see the movie on TV, but the extra stuff would only be on the disc. I think a lot of people are more into this stuff now, in the age of ubiquitous entertainment websites, YouTube, etc. They want more for their entertainment dollar.

In Reply To
But who really cares about the special features (other than us)? If I enjoy a film (say Avatar), I'll buy the DVD, but 99% of the time won't watch anything other than the actual film. I've never watched any of the Avatar special features. I wouldn't be fussed whether it came with 2 discs or 10. And I suspect that's true for a lot of people.

It might be a ploy, but probably doesn't catch everyone. It only works for us Hobbit geeks. Wink

And it's a very dangerous ploy. I can't afford blu-ray prices. It doesn't encourage me to buy a blu-ray player ... if anythng ... it encourages me to download online!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 2:00am

Post #17 of 22 (185 views)
Shortcut
pfft, if it's just the Vlogs and trailers.. then really not missing much... *cough* there's youtube.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll wait for the big EE which'll hopefully come, in order to see the -proper- extra material Cool

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 2:14am

Post #18 of 22 (180 views)
Shortcut
Well I coughed up the money. [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit it. I'm weak. I wanted to see it between now and then. And, well, i had the spare cash.

I do hope the EE is good. They had better have a bunch of extra stuff. I know the LOTR ones did, and I hope these do as well.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 10:15am

Post #19 of 22 (160 views)
Shortcut
I don't deny that there are exceptions [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do believe that the majority of people don't watch the extra features on DVDs they buy (unless it is being bought deliberately for that reason).

imin
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 1:43pm

Post #20 of 22 (139 views)
Shortcut
Might be down to different age groups [In reply to] Can't Post

I know for myself i couldn't care less if a movie has extra features or not, i just want to see the film, so if i can get the dvd cheaper by buying the one disc option i will. The only ones i would change that view on are TH EE's.

This is how my friends view dvds and i think quite a few other people do, as places such as HMV made their money selling dvds at a cheap price with the options for just the film. Most people i think would just watch the special features once and that's it.

I like how they are giving the option to just buy the film and then have another option to get one with special features - same they don't have both those options on both formats - dvd and blu ray though.

Looking at the extra content its just the vlogs and trailers for the film, all can be found on youtube then one documentary on how NZ is M-e apparently, lol.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 3:06pm

Post #21 of 22 (131 views)
Shortcut
HMV selling DVDs cheaply? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink I don't think so. Laugh

(I agree with everything else you say though.)

imin
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 6:03pm

Post #22 of 22 (130 views)
Shortcut
haha. Sadly they have not decreased their price as fast as other places [In reply to] Can't Post

But when they were doing better business and dvds were more expensive they were the cheapest place to go - cheaper than amazon, virgin etc. I haven't bought that many dvds since then as i have way too many already!

I think now its probably amazon as they offer from lots of different shops through their store.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.