Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Barrels and costuming
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2013, 1:58am

Post #1 of 57 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Barrels and costuming Can't Post

So I watched the location production videos since it shows the barrels, and I noticed that all the dwarves are pretty much in their underwear or just tunics and trousers for the barrel ride.

I know the actors have mentioned all their gear adding 70 or so lbs (30 kg) of weight on them and I was wondering if they were actually going to be in their long underwear (did the elven king take their outerwear as well as their weapons, maybe to lessen their chance of escape or in attempts to find all their hidden weapons?) or perhaps they couldn't fit into the barrels with all their gear and packed them in a couple of spare barrels (or were worried about sinking if they were too heavy since dwarves aren't light)? or if they were going to just CGI the costumes and weapons on afterwards and just kept the actors in their basic costumes because the wet fatsuits and such made them too heavy and if they had all their costumes and weapons perhaps the actors themselves would have sunk in the river?

I am quite sure the elvenking took their weapons-he would be extremely stupid to let 13 pissed off quick tempered dwarf prisoners remain armed in his kingdom regardless of the strength of his dungeons (plus he did in the book), but I was wondering if any of them had hidden weapons and perhaps tried an escape attempt and led to them being in their underwear upon escape?

I can't imagine the dwarves leaving any part of their belongings behind unless they had no choice-especially since it was supposed to be the end of autumn and winter was fast approaching and without all their heavy coats they would have frozen to death very quickly in the elements.

Any thoughts?

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 2:21am

Post #2 of 57 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

I know in one of the publicity scrolls there was a picture of them in barrels (presumably put together before the decision to make three films) and they are in their full clothes; I doubt it was an actual shot from the movie, though. But I can't imagine putting clothes back on them with CGI; seems way too labor intensive. I would just assume they were sent to the elf cells that way, or else they ditched their clothing prior to getting into the barrels, due to the water element.

But it does beg the question of where they will get clothes when they land. Is Laketown full of dwarf-size shops?

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 11 2013, 2:45am

Post #3 of 57 (1220 views)
Shortcut
laketown [In reply to] Can't Post

Given how long it has been since dwarves resided anywhere near Laketown, perhaps they had to be clothes made for men? Which should be interesting to see dwarves swamped in clothing several sizes too long and one size too tight lol

Makes me think of Gimli at helm's deep and the extra long chainmail Wink

I could see that going like this:

Dwalin-"It's a little tight across the chest!"
Ori-"And far too long!"
Kili-"Thorin what do we do???"
Thorin-"Where in Durin's name is Orcrist when I need it? Oh, right. &*(^*^ elf king! Someone hand me a sword!"
Balin-"Uh, Thorin? The swords are too long for you....you sure about this?"
Fili-"Yeah Thorin, your aim might be a little off"
Thorin-"Fili are you questioning MY ability with a sword???!!!"
Fili-"No no uncle! I am sure you are unbeatable with any weapon!"
Kili-"It's just, you know I kinda liked that elf Tauriel, and she's much taller than me as is, so....I don't want to lose any more height...."
Thorin-"Oh really?"

Thorin hacks his man sword across the knees of Kili's legs, thereby trimming the garment-and making Kili a foot and a half shorter.

Kili-"AAAAHHHH! MY LEGS!"
Thorin-"Well look at that! Not only is your tunic not too short now, but you don't have to worry about that ELF being interested in a midget like you now!"

The rest of the company slowly back away, mumbling something about they will ask Ori to hem their tunics, then take off for the nearest door as Thorin hands the sword back to the man he borrowed it from with a smug look on his face, thinking "Take that you *^**^ she elf! No dwarf prince for you!" and cackles an evil laugh...Evil

Ok, maybe not. But it should be interesting to see Wink

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 11 2013, 3:39am

Post #4 of 57 (1126 views)
Shortcut
but where are the speedos... [In reply to] Can't Post

Go outside and play...

bborchar
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 5:33am

Post #5 of 57 (1152 views)
Shortcut
They are wearing different clothes after Laketown... [In reply to] Can't Post

In a vlog, it shows a few of the dwarves in the ruined city of Dale, wearing different clothes. Bilbo is also wearing different clothes in Erebor. This makes me pretty sure they lose everything in Mirkwood.

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 11 2013, 7:55am

Post #6 of 57 (1095 views)
Shortcut
LOL!! okay. you get extra cookies for this!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I think one of two things happened. One, that dratted elf Thranduil had them strip-searched and left them in their undies in their cells, thinking they would suffer even further humiliation after making sure they were weaponless (ah, but better double check that Fili...you know how he hides knives and all manner of sharp instruments in every nook and cranny of his clothing!) Or two, that they took off their clothes themselves in order to fit into the barrels and to not weigh the barrels down so much that they would sink; perhaps putting their clothes in other barrels to be retrieved later. Surely they must have their clothing back after their barrel-riding was over. I mean, how imposing and impressive do you think Thorin would be strolling into the Laketown Town Hall, announcing in a booming voice, "I am Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror, King Under the Mountain, and I have returned!" And all eyes turn to him as he stands there dripping wet in his underwear. Well, okay, the hair would be glorious, wet or no, but still, somehow that would be less than a spectacular entrance. Memorable, maybe, but not spectacular. Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 11 2013, 9:11am

Post #7 of 57 (1099 views)
Shortcut
The clothes look far more regal [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine they either get them while they're in Laketown, or they find them in Dale.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 12:13pm

Post #8 of 57 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Do you remember which one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen Bilbo in different clothes in stills from inside Erebor, but I don't remember seeing the dwarves in Dale.

In Reply To
In a vlog, it shows a few of the dwarves in the ruined city of Dale, wearing different clothes. Bilbo is also wearing different clothes in Erebor. This makes me pretty sure they lose everything in Mirkwood.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 11 2013, 12:26pm

Post #9 of 57 (1061 views)
Shortcut
In vlog #8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

More screencaps here.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 11 2013, 12:27pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 2:15pm

Post #10 of 57 (996 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! Going there now. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Link

More screencaps here.

Marionette
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 1:37am

Post #11 of 57 (878 views)
Shortcut
So, no chance for topless dwarves at sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

UnsureLaughUnsure

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 1:40am

Post #12 of 57 (873 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

In one of the screencaps of the guys in the barrels you can barely see Bilbo in the far left hand corner. just a smidgen. It looks like he has his clothes. I am assuming his clothes get replaces in Laketown along with the Dwarfs as they did in the books though.

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/untitled-119-copy.jpg

On the very far left you can barely see him. Not sure if he's in the scene or not hard to say but I think he's in his clothes.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Mar 12 2013, 1:44am)

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 3:44am

Post #13 of 57 (856 views)
Shortcut
Nope. Once they decided to pad them for scale, that was off the table :( [In reply to] Can't Post

But there weren't any shirts missing off anyone in LOTR, either, except for Frodo while tied up in ROTK. It would be nice if someone in one of these films loses a shirt.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 3:51am

Post #14 of 57 (854 views)
Shortcut
Well, he did formulate the plan, so he gets to keep his clothes on :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus he needs a pocket in which to keep the ring.

I did find the shots of the dwarves in their new clothes, which I just must have blown past before. Bilbo gets that exotic new blue frilly coat I've seen in other shots, so that must be from Laketown.

In Reply To
In one of the screencaps of the guys in the barrels you can barely see Bilbo in the far left hand corner. just a smidgen. It looks like he has his clothes. I am assuming his clothes get replaces in Laketown along with the Dwarfs as they did in the books though.

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/untitled-119-copy.jpg

On the very far left you can barely see him. Not sure if he's in the scene or not hard to say but I think he's in his clothes.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 4:18am

Post #15 of 57 (850 views)
Shortcut
Probably had their armor taken [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, in medieval times and what not, if you captured a prisoner in full armor, you didn't throw them in a dungeon in that armor. You'd strip them down to their undergarments or give them rags. I think I read somewhere that Thorin's wardrobe will change throughout the trilogy, so maybe this is why his armor changes.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2013, 5:16am

Post #16 of 57 (862 views)
Shortcut
armor [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps their coats double as armor?

I have heard of boiled leather armor (Legolas's leather pauldrons at Helm's Deep being one example), so maybe to avoid extra bulk their coats double as armor?

I can sure attest the coats to weight though-wet fur coats are HEAVY!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2013, 9:02am

Post #17 of 57 (838 views)
Shortcut
Any thoughts? [In reply to] Can't Post

You've written a lovely post on dwarven underwear, and you expect us to have thoughts after that? Sorry, my thoughts got stuck at the first mention of dwarves in underwear and they're not going anywhere else any time soon. Wink

I'm going to imagine that Thranduil confiscated their outer garments -- probably because they were in such a need of a washing -- and left the dwarves in their cells in their underwear. This could potentially make the whole imprisoned-in-the-dungeons sequence much more entertaining. For us, that is. Not for the dwarves. I suspect Thorin will miss his fur, and both Fili and Nori will miss all the extra places where they can stash things (knives, in Fili's case, and general contraband, for Nori).

You know, I wonder if all the dwarves will be tossed into the same cell when Thranduil takes them prisoner. I've been wondering how PJ could film 13 dwarves each in a separate cell. I suspect that works well in a book but not in a movie. Seems like it would be a pain trying to show each one separately; would be a lot easier if they're in small groups, at least, or all together. In their underwear. Cool

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 10:19am

Post #18 of 57 (830 views)
Shortcut
Two words... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when mentioned together serve to drive thoughts right from my mind (rational thoughts, at least). These two words would be 'Thorin' and 'underwear'...Blush

I suppose Thorin will be in solitary confinement, but for the other Dwarves it might be difficult to have them all separated and thus having to film them all separately. It might depend on how long the whole imprisonment lasts within the movie. Maybe we won't see much of some individual Dwarves during those scenes, just a few of them will be shown more while we just catch a glimpse of the others sitting in their cells?

Either way, it should be entertaining... Wink

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 2:36pm

Post #19 of 57 (809 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You know, I wonder if all the dwarves will be tossed into the same cell when Thranduil takes them prisoner. I've been wondering how PJ could film 13 dwarves each in a separate cell. I suspect that works well in a book but not in a movie. Seems like it would be a pain trying to show each one separately; would be a lot easier if they're in small groups, at least, or all together. In their underwear. Cool

This is my guess as well Ro. I think for time and visual purposes they will likely be in the same cell. It also will make it go faster when Bilbo releases them to go to the barrels.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 12 2013, 3:43pm

Post #20 of 57 (798 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Or what's left of them after envisioning Thorin in his underwear...Tongue

I agree that it would take way too much time if each dwarf had their own cell. I would expect Thorin might have his own, since he's the Leader of the Pack, and Thranduil would want him in solitary confinement. And I could see the others divided into two cells of six dwarves each, unless they have one heck of a huge cell to fit twelve of them in (well, thirteen if you count Bombur twice).

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 12 2013, 4:04pm

Post #21 of 57 (792 views)
Shortcut
If they follow the book... *Book spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

...Thorin would be captured by himself before the others, so that would be another reason why he would have a cell to himself. He's already there, so why move him?

Plus, one might reason, since he is a figure of authority - and we'll have to see if Thranduil recognises him in the movie - the other dwarves would be in a state of confusion without him, so better keep them separated.

This might turn into 'Prison Break - Dwarf Edition'. Dwalin has the tattoos... Tongue

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 12 2013, 4:31pm

Post #22 of 57 (779 views)
Shortcut
Book and DOS Spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

Shots of the Dwarves from the filming that have already been released, suggest that Thorin will be present during the fight with the spiders. So I think they will be captured together.

A sample photo showing Thorin with cobwebs on his costume, and other Dwarves:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NAEcGidPWCM/TrQ1a7D2GbI/AAAAAAAALVM/XplEqo0ZvIM/s1600/HobbitBlog400054.png

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 12 2013, 4:33pm

Post #23 of 57 (778 views)
Shortcut
Thorin should definitely be in a separate cell [In reply to] Can't Post

The others in the Company should be worried and concerned, until Bilbo turns up. If they're all together then they probably wouldn't be too concerned about the Quest, and what's going to happen.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 12 2013, 5:25pm

Post #24 of 57 (781 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. How I am supoosed to concentrate after all the underwear visuals... [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyway...I think that the confronation between Thorin and Thranduil will definitely be harsh enough to earn him a deeper, darker cell by himself. Especially since Thrandul will CERTAINLY have to recognize him. And Thorin won't just say nothing - not after the opening scene. He will have PLENTY to say. And since there will be a lack of mystery as to his identity Thorin will be in the position of having to defend his right to go back home to someone he definitely views as an enemy and an impediment. Any interference with the Quest will only deepen the animosity already present. There was that sort of middling animosity towards Elrond, who did not actually say or do anything to hinder the Company, and only helped. So this meeting will not be a happy or civil one.

I think then others will be bunched up in close proximity. Maybe three or four cells right next to each other? That would make filming easier and they can still interact.

To err is human, to Hoom is Entish.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 5:45pm

Post #25 of 57 (772 views)
Shortcut
Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Thorin will be in a cell by himself. I think the others may likely be all together. They have to move that whole scene along to get to the barrels but at the same time keep the emotion. I think leaving Thorin by himself while having the others in one cell probably does that fine.

I hope we hear Thorin say "By my word!" to Bilbo when he shows up with the keys. That's a nice scene and RA would do it perfectly.

Then we get dwarfs in wet underwear. ::thud::

;)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.